F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
generalgrog
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Baltimore, MD. U.S.A.
United States of America

F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by generalgrog »

I Would like to build this F4-E Phantom. (edit.. It's from Mcdilll AFB, 94th Fighter Squadron, 1st Fighter Wing, 1972)

Image

I'm not that familiar with F4 phantoms, and I know that there are quite a few different F4-E kits out there. Hasegawa makes several, Fujimi,and Revel...

So there are no decals for this particular aircraft so I will need to frankenstein the decals from several different sets of decals, but I have a plan for that. I just want to make sure I pick the correct kit for this era of F4-E..Apparently the korean kit from hasegawa is a late model F4-E(late 70's and early 80's)..so not sure if that would work for what I want(early 70's).

thanks for any help.

GG
Last edited by generalgrog on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
generalgrog
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Baltimore, MD. U.S.A.
United States of America

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose?

Post by generalgrog »

Well it seems that the Monogram promodeller kit has got some great reviews..as it's a reboxing of a hasegawa kit.

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews/Archive ... 8_F-4E.htm

Can't find any of them for sale.. :evil:


GG
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by DBMiller »

You should buy ALL the Phantoms, C through G. All of them.
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by UKguyInUSA »

This would be my choice if I had the money to burn: http://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya_f-4e_ph ... cale_60310
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
generalgrog
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Baltimore, MD. U.S.A.
United States of America

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by generalgrog »

UKguyInUSA wrote:This would be my choice if I had the money to burn: http://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya_f-4e_ph ... cale_60310
Yeah the problem is, I don't do 1/32 scale yet. I try to keep all my planes at 1/48 and all my tanks/vehicles 1/35.

GG
User avatar
5Craven
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by 5Craven »

Check out the Academy kits and Eduards re-releases with all the PE and resin goodies
On the Bench

1/48 Revell SH-60B Seahawk (on hold)
1/72 Matchbox Supermarine Walrus II (Decalling)
1/48 Hasegawa Idolm@ster F-16C (Decals complete)
1/35 Hobbyboss ZSL-92 IFV (Building)
generalgrog
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Baltimore, MD. U.S.A.
United States of America

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by generalgrog »

Yeah I'm thinking I will just go with the Korean hasegawa F4-E. I can use it as a base, and modify it as needed.

GG
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by Lego »

Academy kit 12294 scale 1/48. Look at the review on cyber modeler.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
generalgrog
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Baltimore, MD. U.S.A.
United States of America

Re: F-4 E Phantom II...which kit to choose (1/48 scale)?

Post by generalgrog »

Lego wrote:Academy kit 12294 scale 1/48. Look at the review on cyber modeler.
Unfortunately that's an F-4C, I want to build an F-4E.

The squadron I want to model, flew F-4 E's during the Vietnam era.

Thanks,

GG
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”