Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by rodrant »

Should be a very nice kit in the end for what i can see ...

Your progress in the build is going nicely , keep up with the good work on this , should be a real nice dio .

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by DC87 »

Very nice work Alex , the jeep and the landing craft together looks great already.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Thanks for all the great comments guys! :th:

Andy, I feel you're pain buddy and when bits don't fit, 15 parts feel like 150!! :eeek:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Not really an update as I've been spending far too much time building a Jagdpanther for a certain "Dangerous Cats" SiG, but I wanted to put up something to show that I haven't completely forgotten about this one. Those following this thread will know that one of the figures was showing a little too much of his crack (damn plumbers!! - only kidding Paul! :th: ). Plus I have made a start on a couple of the other figures and so far they don't look to be any better.

And here he is with his buddies.....

Image

I should at least get everything primed primed over the weekend and if I have the right colours, I should get the base coat down as well - we'll see!!

Thanks for taking a look! :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by Rob »

Well done Alex. Just remember - you are suffering for a good cause: you are building that jeep so we don't have to! It does all look good though.

After seeing yours and Andy's jeep goodness, I realised that I had to have one for the stash. Your thread led me to ordering the Tamiya one! :th:
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Rob wrote:Well done Alex. Just remember - you are suffering for a good cause: you are building that jeep so we don't have to! It does all look good though.

After seeing yours and Andy's jeep goodness, I realised that I had to have one for the stash. Your thread led me to ordering the Tamiya one! :th:
:rofl: :rofl: Thanks Rob!

Good choice with the Tamiya jeep - I almost binned this one and went out and bought the Tamiya one, but thought, no, I must persevere! As the old saying goes - rehab is for quitters!!
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Update Six Swab the decks!

Managed to get some time back with this one and got the primer down over the weekend, with the base coat going on last night. Vallejo grey primer topped off with Vallejo black for pre-shading and low-lights. I also sprayed a couple of mist coats of black around the bottom of the hull, trying to estimate the portion that will be under the water. This was done over the weekend when it was quite hot and I did have a couple of problems with spraying and hence why it's a bit erratic to say the least! I'm not too worried about this though as I prefer the pre-shading to be a bit wonky and not a lot will be seen once the base-coat is down - it's more a suggestion of shadows etc. It's a big old beast and I thought it would take a lot of paint to cover, but I seemed to get it down amazingly quickly. I did spray the inside of the outer hull first with both primer and base-coat as this would be tricky to get to once the main innards of the landing craft are attached in place.

Image
Image
Image

The colour that is recommended in the call-outs is very, well - grey! And whilst I appreciate that is the colour of this thing, I wanted more of a blue tinge to it. The water will be more green than blue, but I'm hoping that once everything is put together and the landing craft is weathered it will all come together. I'm surprised that I actually get anything done bearing mind the amount of time spent with my fingers crossed hoping everything will turn out ok! :doh: In the end I decided to use Mr Hobby Aqueous H75 - Dark Seagray.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I'm fairly pleased with the colour, although it's not quite right just yet. I'm going to spray in some high-lights and once I've given it a wash and a filter, hopefully it will all tone in better (there goes the finger-crossing again!).

Thanks for taking a look! :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by DBMiller »

[/quote] Good choice with the Tamiya jeep - I almost binned this one and went out and bought the Tamiya one, but thought, no, I must persevere! As the old saying goes - rehab is for quitters!![/quote]

Thank you for this! I will be sharing the pain with you when I finally get to my jeep!
That grey look like it covered nicely, too.
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
fly1ngdutchm4n
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: Hoogerheide The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by fly1ngdutchm4n »

This is turning out to be a great build!
Great paintwork mate!
:cheers2:
Build what you love, Love what you build
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by rodrant »

Gret Paintwork on ths build , looking forward to see this interesting build ready !
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by Nige201980 »

Looking great mate.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by Paul »

Looking good Alex,great work so far :thumb2:
User avatar
AchtungPanzer
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Cracow PL

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by AchtungPanzer »

Interesting subject. :th: Well done mate .
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by wappynutter »

Superb Alex...... the colour is real good and the pre-shading worked a treat...
Well done Buddy...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:bow:: :bow::
:th: :thumb1: :th:
I will drift round a while and stalk your build looking for tips and what not....
:pop: :pop: " munch...munch...munch........"
Thanks...
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Thanks for the comments fellas, much appreciated! :th:

Andy - funny you should say that, I've been stalking your build for the same reason! :pop:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Update Seven

I've got the colour as about right as I'm going to get it, so now it's time to get the decals on before applying the filter and washes. There's only one option for the Normandy landing craft and not too many decals, which means I can crack on with weathering shortly!

Image
Image
Image

After spraying in some highlights, the next decision was what filter to use to try and bring everything together a bit more. After trying a couple on the underside of the hull, I decided to use a filter for panzer grey tanks. I also opted to use an earth wash for the deck to replicate the dirt and grime that would result in the traffics from the vehicles and troops.

Image

Not absolutely right, but it does blend the colour a bit better and once all of the weathering is done it should be even better. Still looks very clean though, but something tells me that it won't stay this way for long! :cheers2:

Image
Image
Image

And the deck and interior once the earth wash is applied.
Image

Painted up some of the details whilst the filter and wash we're drying.
Image
Image

Not very happy with the rope as it didn't take the pin wash too well, but nothing that a little tweaking and dry brushing shouldn't be able to sort out. Talking of pin washing I applied some very diluted burnt umber to the deck to start to add to the dirty and grimy look.

Image
Image

And that will do it for now - want to let everything dry now and assess what it's all like later. Next step is to move onto the exterior to get that to the same level of weathering as the interior and then finish off all of the little details. Still a ton of stuff to do, but at least it starting to feel like the end is in sight.

Thanks for taking a look! :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
FishBowlMan
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Kidderminster, England

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by FishBowlMan »

Very nice, Alex. Love the weathering so far, and am impressed with the boat hook and fenders (even though I thought they were a bunch of sausages at first glance :lol: )
John

On the bench:

Tamiya 1/35 SAS Jeep, 1/35 BMW R75, 1/35 Pzkpfw III Ausf M/N
MiniArt 1/35 Bantam 40 BRC British Staff Car
Hasegawa 1/48 P-51D, originally for D-Day GB
Hobbyboss 1/35 Pzkpfw I ausf F

There is no room inside a box!
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Looking great so far, mate! :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
fly1ngdutchm4n
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: Hoogerheide The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by fly1ngdutchm4n »

Looking great! :thumb2:
Build what you love, Love what you build
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by DBMiller »

Oh, that is looking so sweet!
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Thanks chaps! :th:

FishBowlMan - :rofl: :rofl: - that's exactly what they look like - a string of sausages!! :lol:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Update Eight

Reached the slow stage of the build now, but in some ways it's this part of the painting/weathering that I enjoy the most. I've learnt from bitter experience to take this stage nice and slow so that if one step doesn't quite pan out, it's easy enough to wind it back and do it again. The next step was to get some grime onto the exterior and for this I used a heavy diluted mixture of black oils. This was applied in several layers as each layer would dry very light in colour (more of a light grey than black). This then enabled me to gradually build up the "colour", hopefully replicating the way that dirt and grime would build up on the real thing. There's a couple of places where it's a little bit too dark, but this can easily be knocked back with a small brush dipped into white spirit. Looking at pictures of these Higgin's boats on the actual day itself, it's hard to judge just how dirty they got. The temptation is to go overboard (forgive the pun!), but I believe that all of the vehicles and equipment would have been very well prepared. However, as records show, the weather wasn't great especially in the days leading up to the 6th, so I think a little artistic license and interpretation is allowed for!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

The lifebelts and sausages got some final touches!
Image

And the jeep got it's first coat of olive drab courtesy of Mr Hobby Aqueous.
Image
Image

I'm sure you all know the feeling, but I'm at the stage that the interest is starting to wane and other kits are starting to call out, "build me, build me!" The temptation to crack open the lid, purely for a look-see you understand, can be too great to overcome - but - must - stay - strong!! Also, because of the size of this thing, everything seems to take just that little bit too long and you can find yourself lapsing into a "slap it on, that'll do" mentality. Granted, it is hard to tell the difference between slap-it-on and take-your-time in my case, but I really must learn to take more care. There's still a way to go with the weathering, plus the MG's still need painting up and don't get me started on the figures! Hey-ho, onwards and sideways!! :tongue:

Thanks for taking a look! :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by DBMiller »

:th: Those other kits will still be there at the end. Your sacrifice will not go unnoticed!
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

DBMiller wrote::th: Those other kits will still be there at the end. Your sacrifice will not go unnoticed!
All of us suffer for our art DB!! :lol:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by alextheblue »

Update Nine The devil is in the detail

I've been picking and chipping away at this one for the last few days as free-time has been a little scarce, but with fifteen minutes here and half-an-hour there, it all adds up. The weathering isn't finished on the landing boat itself, but as I'm still musing over what exactly to do next, I decided to crack on with all the little details and get these painted up and attached. With the kit you get a length of string and this is to be used to attach the rope fenders. It's well scaled with the fenders itself and to my mind it looks pretty good size-wise. According to the instructions you are supposed to thread the appropriate length of "rope" through the fender and then through the attachment point and then tie the two ends together.

Image

I dutifully cut the required length of string and and dry-fitted it according to the instructions. My first thought was that it was just too long and my second thought was that a hand-tied knot would just look too big and clumsy. Now, these rope fenders may well look like a string of big fat sausages, but not as much as my fingers do!! :bash: Not exactly the precision instruments required for tying miniscule knots in restricted places. With this in mind I decided to join the ends together with a small dab of CA glue and then "hide" the join behind the fender itself. I'm not sure that this is entirely accurate with how they would have been tied, but it's how I would have done it!! :tongue:

Image
Image

Life-belts, gaffs and a long metal thingy next - not quite sure what this is, but it looks a lot like a crank for the engines perhaps?? If anyone knows, I would love to know what it actually is.

Image
Image
Image

A little bit of touch-up is needed in a couple of places - one of the hazards of painting parts and then attaching them I guess, but with these bits on, this little Higgins boat seems to be sparking into life. Looking at the pics though, I've suddenly realised that I've made a bit of a boo-boo - the life-belts would have actually been a light grey colour! :doh: Before painting them I had been looking at some research photos and in some of the builds I had been looking at, the life-belts had been red and white. Oh well, they're on now and I kinda like them this colour. Not too much more to do with this one now and then it's onto the figures - not looking forward to that as the bits I have assembled so far haven't been the best of fits. Still, all part of the fun!!

Thanks for taking a look! :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by Willem »

Looks superb mate. Great build.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by chief5437 »

Looks great! Your rope trick worked a treat. Gonna be awesome when it's loaded up! :th:
Chief
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by wappynutter »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Just excellent Alex...... A superb build so far, I love it mate....
Keep it up... :thumb1:
Thanks ...
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Looks fab to me, mate! :thumb1: :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
johnpaulwinn
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:18 pm
Location: Plymouth, Devon; or deployed...

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by johnpaulwinn »

Life-belts, gaffs and a long metal thingy next - not quite sure what this is, but it looks a lot like a crank for the engines perhaps?? If anyone knows, I would love to know what it actually is.
The long metal thingy is probably the emergency tiller bar... When the linkage between the wheel and the rudder is damaged, you attach the tiller bar to the rudder head and steer that way. I think that the conical moulding at the stern is more than likely where it would be attached, if required.
User avatar
fly1ngdutchm4n
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: Hoogerheide The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by fly1ngdutchm4n »

amazing work! :thumb2:
Build what you love, Love what you build
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by DBMiller »

How is this going? I need you to finish so I can copy your work!
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
Tiger131
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: walsall
England

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by Tiger131 »

Looking superb the pre shading really payed off the colours look superb looking forward to seeing more of this build
Image
Deacon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Italeri 1/35 LCVP - landing craft & figures

Post by Deacon »

Lovely work mate.

I do like that a lot. :th:
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”