Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post Reply
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

My little entry for the D Day GB (cutting it fine I know).

Image

This is what I'm aiming for, if it looks anything like I'm happy..

Image

This is actually the Mk.I/Mk.II Dual Combo ProfiPack edition, so you get two lots of stuff in the box. Experienced guys will know this, but anyone who doesn't, you get loads loveliness all spilling out of the box..

Image

You know what's coming...

Image

Fantastic detail in a darkish grey, hardish plastic..

Image

An excellent prop, always a good sign..

Image

A bit more of that detail...

Image

Image

Good engine, well..good enough for me..

Image

Clear gear..

Image

Now then... Extras...
How about resin wheels..

Image

Photo-etch..

Image

More photo-etch

Image

Decs..

Image

The D Day experience of the Hellcat wasn't that long, but they were there but we'll come to that later..
Not sure wether to use all that cockpit PE as the detail is really lovely, seems a shame to fiddle around when what's actullay moulded is as good as it is. If I can't match up the colour, I'll proberly kinda mix and match. This is my first Eduard kit, so I hope it's as good as you lot say they are...

Here go's
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
Orbyn
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 140
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 am
Location: Chandler, AZ USA

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Orbyn »

Looks like a great kit. Can't wait to see it come together.
Regards,

Orbyn

On the bench:
Cyber-Hobby 1/72 Aichi Type 99 "Val" Dive Bomber
User avatar
Art17847
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:43 pm
Location: smack dab in the middle of PA.......

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Art17847 »

Nos thats gonna be one cool lookin hellcat....following along :pop:
On the bench........uummmmm i dont have a bench......not yet anyway

Ike jokingly to Patton......"funny thing George every time I get a new star I get attacked"

Patton...."yes and every time you get attacked i bail you out"
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by chief5437 »

Want one!! Looks great. Good luck with the build :th: :th:
Chief
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Cheers guys, glad to have you aboard :banana:
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Wow...that looks like a fantastic kit...lots of details...I want one of those!

You're going to enjoy building that after the "Monster" :) :thumb1: :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
cib2265
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by cib2265 »

Looks lovely - cant wait to see the build!
Chris Becker in Sunshine Coast, Australia
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

UKguyInUSA wrote:Wow...that looks like a fantastic kit...lots of details...I want one of those!

You're going to enjoy building that after the "Monster" :) :thumb1: :thumb1:

You bet Martin it's a great kit and more importantly a more reasonable scale

:cheers2:
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

cib2265 wrote:Looks lovely - cant wait to see the build!


Can't wait to get back home to carry on with it Chris.
I'm out shopping :cry:
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Cockpit going together nicely with no probs..

Image

Cleaning up some 'pit parts for the PE....yeah I know. I've some Mr Color 351 zinc chromate which is a good match. I'll get a pick up in a bit.

Image

Looks like the motor gonna get some PE too..

Image

Just a quick update this, I hope to get on with later tonight after me curry :D
Hey! You! Yes you, thanx for looking.
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
vyper1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm
Location: Warrington UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by vyper1 »

You've gone from nothing fitting to tiny PE pieces, you certainly like to challenge yourself :thumb2:
Good luck with the build and I'll just say it now so I don't have to bother when it's complete.........Looks superb :D :thumb1:
Back in the game after 20 year absence.....jeez it's just as hard now as it was then.
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Bleeding idiot you mean vyper. I proberly wouldn't have bothered but I had this colour..

Image

You might be a bit premature there vyp, best to check back I reckon.... :tongue:
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
jbellos1
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:23 pm
Location: Scottsville, NY, USA
United States of America

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by jbellos1 »

Very nice looking kit. I will be interested to see the final results! Are those color PE parts or did you painstakingly paint them?
Jon
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

A bit more gluing stuff.... Wings and wells, good engineering going on here..

Image

Image

Stabiliser's next..

Image

Image

One more, the engine started with Mr Hobby Aluimium..

Image

Gotta go, skiving at work.....
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Willem »

Beautiful kit, Tim. Off to a good start.

Best of luck with your build.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Off to a good start mate....looking forward to seeing what you do with this one! :) :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

This up date is mostly about the bit where the driver sits..
Primed with the AK Primer.

Image

Prop is sporting Tamiya Rubber Black, not sure it's right, but there you go..

Image

This Mr Hobby 351 zinc-chromate is a lovely paint and colour you know...

Image

Image

PE on the instrument panel here, although not all of it..

Image

All done without a wash....

Image

Image

Image

And now, with a wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade..
Dunno, you tell me..

Image

Image

I kept losing the really small bits, you know, tiny little levers and even tinyer dail thingys.
I'm not that worried tho as I don't think you could see 'em anyways.
For my first proper PE 'pit, not too bad, could be a lot better I suppose, but not bad... Won't want to do one everyday tho.
Thanx for looking lads :thumb1:
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Hi guys.
Eduard's idea of fixing the wings and stabilisers leaves a little problem to be addressed....

Image

Image

Namely the dihedral of said wings and things, you may or not know that the wings of an aeroplane are rarely death flat, they've always got a little angle (dihedral) to them to aid airflow over them.....
So I hope this is right...

Image

More pic's...

Image

Exhaust pipes, what do you think? Shall I or shan't I?

Image

Oh! Go on then...

Image

If you wanted an easy build then grab yourself one of these. I reckon you could knock it together in a day or so, if you dont bother with the PE..
Masking next..

Image

Image

The Eduard masks are a boon. You can obviously cut your own, but if the're included in the kit, I would be rude not to use 'em.
Next instalment will be to finish masks, have a look at the undercarriage and maybe prime her up.
Anyway that'll do for now. Thanx for looking.
TTFN
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Willem »

Looking like the Badger's nadgers so far Tim.

Got one....er....two......ok.....three in the stash so following along with great interest.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Thanx Will.

Against every instinct I've got I've fitted the undercarriage :eeek: I hope I don't live to regret this...

Image

With the u/c now on, there is actually little building left to do, just paint..

Image

Best get some primer down then...

Image

AK as usual. Incidentally before priming I've sprayed the canopy flat black, so hopefully when finished the inside of the glass will show the metal framing as black. We'll see...

Image

Being a D Day subject, obviously stripes are the most prominent feature on the model, now what you don't want to do is get this wrong!
I'm going to try a new technique :wall: for painting stripes, it's not mine btw I found it on a recent traul of the Internet.
Start with the white over the general area of the stripe, in this instance Lifecolor LC 01...

Image

Image

To be continued....
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Holy C**p mate, you flew through this kit the last time I checked in?!! That cockpit looks the dogs, mate and now she's all built up and ready for painting! Looking sweet so far, Tim :) :thumb1: :thumb1: :clap: :clap:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Cheers Martin...


I'm using 10mm Tamiya tape to mask the strips, luckily that's just about the correct width...well according to Eduard's instructions. After the white has dried, simply (?) lay down the tape so that the side's butt upto to each other..

Image

Something like this..

Image

It's not so bad on the wings but a pain around the fuselage.
All done...

Image

Pre-shade as usual. I didn't pre-shade under the stripes, so to speak, as I want them looking newly painted not all bashed up. Don't worry I know what I'm doing...... Not!

Image

Thanks to Paul, I've made an investment of a couple of bottles of this Akan stuff, just to see what all the fuss is about...

Image

Well....
Apart for my own incompetency, what a lovely paint... Lovely colour, sprays loverly, cleans up loverly, feels kinda like a supercharged Lifecolor imao. I love Mr Hobby Aqueous but.......

Image

Image

Image

Do you think she needs another coat?
Might be a bit of a break now as I'm a bit of a holiday but we'll see if I can get a bit more done.
Thanx for looking lads.

:cheers2:
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Make that 'on steroids', this stuff is ace..

Image

Image

Image

The only olive drab I've got is some Vallejo Model Color 70.992. Now I either use that, which not exactly the right colour, so will need mixing or wait till I buy some... Not sure???

Thanx for looking lads :th:
TTFN
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by UKguyInUSA »

I'm not sure if she needs another coat or not? I hate that dilemma...when I'm airbrushing, I think that the pre-shading is too much and I do another fine spray and then I don't think it shows enough. It's that borderline moment that can make us go crazy after the next step has been made. Just remember...you can't go back to how it was once another coat has gone on! :eeek:

The paintwork looks nice and smooth and flat so far....can't wait to see how she looks with those stripes on. :)

Cheers :cheers2:

Martin
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Yeah Mart it can a bit of 'mare deciding when it's right, is a gut feeling I guess.
I'm gonna leave it as is and go with it. On this very point mate, I'm thinking that the white in the stripe might not be white enough! Call it gut instinct.....

:cheers2:
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Nige201980 »

Great job so far mate I think the pre-shade looks fine mate.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Thanx Nige...

On with some more camo work, on this occasion I've gone the "wiggly worm" technique in which you roll up white tac into long thin "worms". Next you "wiggle" them around the aircraft where you want the camo colour to be. To finish simply fill in with tape or paper, I used Tamiya tape.
Mr Hobby Aquaous H52 is olive drab is colour Eduard's instructions are telling me, who am I to argue...

Image

Here we are with all the camo masking tape removed...

Image

Another one...

Image

Up next... Masking off for the black in the stripes...

Image

All sprayed up with Lifecolor, now I mixed too thin to truthful so I hope it's ok...

Image

Here go's.....fingers crossed....

Image

....well... It's ok. There's a bit bleed through, but it's ok..

Image

Image

Just for a laugh, I've fitted the engine and collecter ring thingy...

Image

We're all ready for a (K)clear coat, dec's etc.
thanx for looking chaps.
TTFN.....
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by HistoryRider »

She's looking fantastic Tim!! :th: :th:

I can't wait to see her all gussied up!!! Great job!

:cheers2:
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

A scary bit... Thought I would treat myself (it was my birthday the other day) to Alclad's aqua gloss. It went down fine, different certainly to Johnsons Klear. I say scary because on the label it's DON'T do this and DON'T do that :eeek: . In wasn't certain of the right pressure to spray, I played around with it but couldn't seem to get it right. As I say went down fine and gives a really nice even, satiny finish. A bit more practice required me thinks...

Image

Shiny decals..... :(

Image

Shiny finish.... :) . Decals applied in the usual way. These Eduard decs are ok not great but ok...shiny. I hate decaling, so we'll move on..

Image

Image

Ready for a bit of a wash and then a bit of bash about, not too much though..

Image

Image

TTFN
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Eduard 1:48 Hellcat Mk.I

Post by Joesdad »

Hi guys, all done.....
I'm going to be taking a little break from building after the Hellcat. I'll still be hanging around the forum...

Final reveal should be here....

http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=258&t=8538

TTFN
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”