Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
VPucc
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Location: Australia

Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by VPucc »

G'day all,

I'm brand new to the hobby and have just brought my first model (1:72 C130 Hercules). I've been reviewing youtube posts and other intent sources for the kit and tools I'll need. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.

Best regards from Oz.
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by UKscalemodeller »

Welcome aboard VPucc.

There is a wealth of knowledge here on ISM, but I'm not the best to be dispensing it. I'll leave that to the pros.
VPucc
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by VPucc »

Cheers UKscalemodeller.
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Lee »

Welcome to ISM VPucc :welcome:

That sure is a small model you've picked for your return....lol

The basic tools you will need are: Scalpel/hobby knife, sprue cutters, sanders, filler/putty (deluxe materials perfect putty), glue (Mr Hobby Cement S is the best in the UK), paints relevant to your build (Vallejo Model Air if spraying - Any others if hand painting), a gloss varnish and a matt varnish and the most important thing PATIENCE....!!!

That should pretty much do it. You will find, like most of us, that you'll accrue a ton of different tools and paint once you become hooked. Remember though, the most important thing about modelling is to HAVE FUN :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Coen »

:welcome: :hi: :clap:
Welcome to the hobby dude, and welcome to the forum.
You hit pay dirt coming here as a new modeller especially if you plan on modelling a lot of aircraft.
Lee and Paul along with a whole host of members are fantastic aircraft... crafters.

Feel free to post any specific questions, I'm sure any of us will try to help you along.
:th: :thumb1: :thumb2:
HobbyModeller
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by HobbyModeller »

Welcome :) Just enjoy yourself with your first models as its all about fun, you'll experience as you go
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Bagpiper »

Welcome mate. I think Lee hit the nail on the head with the basics you need. Don't feel you need anything more at this stage. My Dad was an amazing craftsman with some glue, wood, a saw and a wood plane. Learn how to use what you have and don't feel intimidated by all the gear you will hear us all talking about/wanting :-) We all NEED lots and lots and lots of toys/tools/gear :lol:

Good luck and great to have you with us. Make sure to ask questions at any time - we are here to help.

Cheers
Jim
VPucc
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by VPucc »

Thanks to all. I work away from home and will only be able to access the kit when I come home (20 days away 10 days home), However I can access the web and this site when Im at camp, so I will spam you with questions and advice :-)
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!!
User avatar
modellingmadness
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:20 pm
Location: Wolverhampton
Great Britain

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by modellingmadness »

HobbyModeller wrote:Welcome :) Just enjoy yourself with your first models as its all about fun, you'll experience as you go
Seconded!
Just have fun!
Image
User avatar
BrummieModeller
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Birmingham, UK

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by BrummieModeller »

Welcome to ISM mate :welcome:

From the above posts all tools and stuff like that have been covered pretty much, only advice id give you as its your first kit build is.......

Take your time!!! And enjoy it!!! :mrgreen: :th:
Dan

WIP Kits on the Bench

Revell 1/144 Airbus A320 Thomas Cook Livery
Airfix 1/72 Brewster Buffalo F2A-1
Revell 1/24 Mini Cooper Mk1
Airfix 1/76 Panther

My Facebook Page

Image
VPucc
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by VPucc »

Thanks Dan.
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by schweinhund227 »

Work slow and dry fit the parts before assembly, clean up the Mould parting lines,

Follow the instructions. And remember to have fun!

Don't rush ! :banana:

Did I say! Have fun! :thumb2:
Let assemblies dry before proceeding to the next step.

But like they have said! Gather the minimum tools that will enable you to build this kit!

Use the proper glue! very important!

Start a tread and ask questions, we will be here for ya!
keith
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by keith »

And don't drink and model
Nostalgia isn't as good as it use to be
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Bagpiper »

keith wrote:And don't drink and model
:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

wrong wrong wrong wrong just wrong. :lol:
:cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2: :nena: :nena:

Cheers

Jim
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by schweinhund227 »

My thoughts exactly but I didn't post it! LOL :cheers2:
VPucc
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by VPucc »

Thanks, schweinhund227

Can anyone tell me the difference between "cement" and normal "glue" I understand there may be a viscosity differential, however; are they used for different applications??

I visited a hobby shop yesterday and asked the bloke behind the counter who talked in circles..I gathered that he didn't really know!!
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Bagpiper »

Well I would say that when your dealing with plastic, the cement melts the plastic and dries very quickly - a few minutes. Glue, such as CA, white glue, elmers, wood glue and so on sticks the pieces together. CA glue would be used to glue photo etch (PE). CA glue dries quick(ish), especially if you use a kicker to set the glue. If you don't use a kicker CA glue can let things slide and you end up with the parts glued in the wrong place. But for PE you cannot use cement. Clear parts on the other hand, you could use CA glue or krystal Clear or other window making type glue. I think I've got most of this right. lol

Cheers
Jim
VPucc
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by VPucc »

Thanks Jim, greatly appreciated.

On another note, regarding paint, I posted a question in the paint section regarding the different Tamiya paint codes. Are you able to shed any light on the codes;
AS, MS, PS, TS & Enamel X/XF????
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Bagpiper »

VPucc wrote:Thanks Jim, greatly appreciated.

On another note, regarding paint, I posted a question in the paint section regarding the different Tamiya paint codes. Are you able to shed any light on the codes;
AS, MS, PS, TS & Enamel X/XF????
Um! I answered that in your other post mate with the same question :-) Good idea to only post the same question once please :thumb2: as your going to get people answering both and I don't know about you but I would get confused. :lol:

Cheers
Jim
Last edited by Bagpiper on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Paul »

VPucc wrote:Thanks Jim, greatly appreciated.

On another note, regarding paint, I posted a question in the paint section regarding the different Tamiya paint codes. Are you able to shed any light on the codes;
AS, MS, PS, TS & Enamel X/XF????
I've answered it for you buddy :th:
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by schweinhund227 »

Hey... I would not use C.A. on Clear parts... my take on life !!!

The Fuming (curing) of C.A. emits corrosive fumes.. that Sticks to Clear parts like... the pest ! You can assemble a whole model with C.A. ( Cyano-acrylate glue) no problem! just keep it away from Clear plastic.... you risk to see WHITE residue fogging your canopies and what-not ! sometimes the white fog can even stick to styrene if the fuming is from a large amount of C.A. ... Kicker is nice to have but is very toxic... (and it is) don't inhale and don't leave on your skin.... it accumulate in the body!!

Cement like Tamiya Thin Cement is used to Fuse or bound styrene together... We love it for its Capillary action... meaning it flows everywhere... in-between parts and gives a good bound !

Glue like Testor "RED tube" of death... Stay away from that "OLD way" of building models... It melt plastic and becomes like a Varnish_y after many years That glue is only good to make ICICLES on Dioramas ! They always try to sell you that Crap! to get rid of it...

On the other hand.... Testor "liquid cement" with a "light" acetone smell to it... is equal to Tamiya thin cement.... Their Thicker stuff I could not care for... once you go with Tamiya Thin Cement... you won't go back..!!! same goes with Testor liquid cement !

P.E. ! I use C.A. for that like Jim !!! or you can use a varnish like many Europeans are doing... it gives you time
to move the pieces where they will finally rest and it blends the parts with the model giving the illusion it is either welded or part of the model... I myself... never used the varnish way! but seen some do it constantly and with great results... what Varnish ?? unknown to me but i liked the idea to keep moving the parts till I was happy with the position !!! with C.A. you have a matter of seconds... so ... its all in the learning ...

There are loads of glue out there...... some are even specifically designed for a specific plastic... LIKE ABS model plastic... like Plastruct which for a long time... only their own glue could bound it !!!
some others are Very strong glues... that will glue or Weld styrene... use sparingly ! Tenax 7R or Pro-Weld
Use only if other cements have failed !!! very very strong stuff... but some swear by it... but I am not in a rush when I build... so.. I have used them... but no long do !

I would buy one or 2 glues... for starters... a Medium consistency C.A. and Tamiya Thin cement or Testor Liquid cement and learn the basics from those 2 types of glues... one C.A. (rapid) on Styrene and P.E. the other Styrene liquid cement which is slower but gives a great bound to styrene alone...!

All the best to ya and keep asking questions !

Norm.
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Bagpiper »

The master has spoken :lol:

Great information Norm

Jim
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by schweinhund227 »

Bagpiper wrote:The master has spoken :lol:

Great information Norm

Jim

Plz Jim... don't

I ain't no Master.....
I am Old enough though ! LOL :violin:
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Bagpiper »

:banana: :banana: :cheers2: :cheers2:

We can just pretend then :lol:

and yeah!!! :violin: :violin: :violin: I know the feeling - I should know what I'm doing with a lot of things by now. Ho Hum.. :thumb2:

Cheers

Jim
VPucc
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 am
Location: Australia

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by VPucc »

schweinhund227

Thanks, for that mate.

That's a keeper!!
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by chief5437 »

Welcome to ISM! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Chief
PerezTurner
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:43 am

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by PerezTurner »

If you are Brand new to modelling then what type of help and assistance you are expecting from us? Clear your vision please.
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Brand new to modelling!!! any advice welcome...

Post by Gav0909 »

Its been mentioned but not expanded on much, so I will expand.

When you cut the parts from the sprue, cut slightly along the sprue part from where the sprue attaches to the part (known as the sprue gate). So you will end up with a part that has a few bits of sprue sticking off it. Then take your hobby knife, or scalpel and carefully cut away the sprue gate, then use a sanding stick (a fine nail file is fine, they are cheap!) or some fine sandpaper to smooth off any burrs. Some parts you will notice a slight raised line where the two halves of the mould have left a small ridge of plastic, called a mould line. Use your knife in a scraping motion along the line, not cutting, to remove these and sand smooth.

This clean up process on your parts can get tedious and care needs to be taken on small delicate parts, but you will notice a huge difference in your final model. Especially if you use a wash to add shading, it can collect on rough parts, mouldlines etc which then highlights them to the eye once the model is painted.

Before you paint, I would recommend to prime the model. This can be done with just black, white or grey paint, but you can get specific primers. Vallejo do a range of polyurethane primers which are brushable or fine to use through an airbrush. Give the model a coat of that first and that gives the main colours a better base to stick too. You will get a richer, smoother colour if you prime your model first.

Hope that helps!
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”