Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

User avatar
MikeyKb
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by MikeyKb »

This is un-be-lei-va-ble!!!!! I want to use profanity, but we call know that Brad Pitt shows up. One day I hope to come close to the skill needed for that foil and the cockpit. Genius about the sand paper too - very much looking forward to seeing this come together! One panel at a time, eh? Patience of a saint, mate.
:bow:: :bow:: :clap: :clap: :thumb2:
Mikey
User avatar
gaz45
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Nottingham uk
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by gaz45 »

great idea for a base mate :th:
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

Cheers Andy and mikey

Another update on the base

So I trimmed down the unwanted sandpaper.
Image

Then I primed it make sure it's a light grey has this will help towards the finished colour
Image

The colour I was after was more a yellow brown as in my home town there was a road that was laid by Italian WWII prisoners in concrete slabs
I achived this by mixing Vallejo model air yellow and hemp
Image

Next a random spotting of white.
Image

What with wind and rain in the uk this would get pushed into one corner so with a guide and a dark grey thinned heavily a misted the corners to give it the look of stains.
Image

This is what I ended up with
Image

Next I added some talc to some black paint to make it textured for the bitchemen
Image
Image

Then with an old brush I applied it to the cracks to make it look like joins
Image
I also added some grey into the cracks in the broken slabs.

Then I used some of my homemade wash to add stains to the hard standing.
Image

And finially some pigments for just add some thing lol
Image

So that's it I think quite happy not perfect but it will do for now lol.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

Well she is finished and here she is.

Image
Image

I must say I really enjoyed this and I think I would do it again and I hope you all enjoyed the journey to the finished builds thank you everyone who took the time to stop by and comment. The rest of the photos will be in the revell section
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
HistoryRider
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:49 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by HistoryRider »

NICE WORK NIGE!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing job!!! Knocked this one out of the ball park buddy!! :th: :th:
HistoryRider
https://www.youtube.com/user/ThudWeasel

On the Bench___________________________________
Revell 1:48 Convair F-106 - Homeland Group Build
Academy 1:48 General Dynamics F-16 - Homeland Group Build
Tamiya 1:35 M4 Sherman
Tamiya 1:35 Panzer IV AusfD


On Deck___________________________________
To Be Determined
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

Cheers mate and thanks for looking.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Awesome job, Nige...it's been a great thread to follow with the ups and downs etc, but well worth the fight in the end! Fabulous result :) :clap: :clap: :thumb1: :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
kiwigav
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 am
Location: Nelson - New Zealand
New Zealand

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by kiwigav »

once again a really good build and thread

here's something for ya :D
[youtube]w-0TEJMJOhk[/youtube]
Cheers Gav

On The Bench OK where do I start :wtf:
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Love Weird AL, good stuff
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

Haha loved that Gav thanks for showing it. And thanks for taking the time to stop by.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Coen »

I just took a long look at how you did that base Nige. I missed that bit. I'm not sure how, I usually get notified of all your posts.
Anyway, that was some clever sh(t buddy. Marcus Wilkinson posted a bit in the ISM facebook page about using sand paper for tarmac or asphalt, but I never thought to apply it for concrete or airfield dios. That's good thinking.
It looks totally excellent too. It's the stains and the cracks that bring it all together in the end. But that bit of masked shading that you did to each square... brilliant. That's the depth right there. That's what made it believable.
Well done buddy
5 Stars!!!
:th: :th: :th: or thumbs since we don't have stars smileys.
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

Coen wrote:I just took a long look at how you did that base Nige. I missed that bit. I'm not sure how, I usually get notified of all your posts.
Anyway, that was some clever sh(t buddy. Marcus Wilkinson posted a bit in the ISM facebook page about using sand paper for tarmac or asphalt, but I never thought to apply it for concrete or airfield dios. That's good thinking.
It looks totally excellent too. It's the stains and the cracks that bring it all together in the end. But that bit of masked shading that you did to each square... brilliant. That's the depth right there. That's what made it believable.
Well done buddy
5 Stars!!!
:th: :th: :th: or thumbs since we don't have stars smileys.
Thank Mike means a lot coming from you buddy. By the way hope you have a good weekend.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Gb64c
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am
Location: JAX, Florida, USA

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Gb64c »

The plane and Tarmac, unbelievable ingenuity, creativeness and skill, wow! :eeek:
gb64c

:cheers2:

79th. Engineers Combat Battalion (Heavy)
Fait Accompli
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

Gb64c wrote:The plane and Tarmac, unbelievable ingenuity, creativeness and skill, wow! :eeek:
Cheers for the great comments mate
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
bradsbunker
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by bradsbunker »

Great work on the base. :thumb2:
On the bench,

Tamiya 1:35 M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy Eight"

Image

Up Next

Who knows

http://www.youtube.com/user/bradsbunker/videos
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

bradsbunker wrote:Great work on the base. :thumb2:
Cheers mate.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by wappynutter »

:jd:
Still in awe at this gorgeous piece Nige.....
Well done mate... :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Take care bud... :thumb1:
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Tamiya Mustang P-51D "grim reaper"

Post by Nige201980 »

Thanks again and you too buddy
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”