My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post Reply
Thunderchief1966
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 am
Location: Blackpool, Lancashire UK

My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Thunderchief1966 »

These are my first two finished builds, HobbyBoss 1/48 F105 and Meng F102 case xx 1/72. Excuse the photo quality but it's a new camera so still getting used to it. Any/all comments, tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, positive or negative, there are some really impressive builds on here so all advice is welcome,
Image
I did the whole camo pattern freehand using a Neo/Iwata and Mr Hobby Aqueous and a mix of Mr H and Revell Aqua to brush, the kit went together well but the landing gear was a pain, very spindly

Image

Note slightly wobbly unercarriage. The wash was a new thing for me, its a Flory dark dirt wash which looked easier to do than an enamel pin wash, but a crazy paving pattern occurred on the underside which i think is the Klear coat cracking, on the F102 I tried a microscale gloss and it was much better.

Image

Image

Here you can see the crazy paving

Image

Here is the Meng F102, finished last week. Again this went together very well, certainly compared to the stuff I used to build 25 years ago, and I had a go at pre shading on this build. I used a Vallejo primer but it didn't give as good a finish as the Halfords rattle can and took ages to dry fully

Image

Image

Unercarriage was easier, and is much sturdier, but the bomb bay was frustrating as the Falcon missiles didn't leave enough room for the doors, superglue to the rescue

Image

Sorry for the blurr
Image

The only major mishap was losing some of the decal on the rear stabiliser, I only noticed it when i did the final satin coat so was a bit gutted, but I will try to get a replacement

Image


I really enjoyed both builds and I have tried a lot of techniques for the first time, the tools and materials available are fantastic compared to a couple of old tins of humbrol and a brush. I am taking a break from the century series and having a go at an Academy Merkava MkIII which will be the fist AFV I have built. Again, all comments welcome and as i've got a week off I think a bit of quality time with the Merkava is in order,

Cheers, Ian :thumb2:
On the bench:

Academy 1/35 Merkava Mk 3

Last completed
Italeri 1/72 F104C "SMOKE II" (Vietnam GB)
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Willem »

Welcome to the Forum, Ian.

I love your jets and the Thud in particular. Thanks for a head up on the undercarriage as I have a 105G that I'm going to start soon.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Lee »

Excellent!
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by schweinhund227 »

very impressive work !!!
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by ManCupboardModels »

Very nice! Top jobs all round. Welcome back to the hobby! :th: :cheers2: :welcome:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
Thunderchief1966
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 am
Location: Blackpool, Lancashire UK

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Thunderchief1966 »

Thanks very much guys for the comments, gives me a bit of confidence to post a bit more. As for the undercarriage on the Thud, the anchor point in the landing gear bay is very shallow so not much surface area to glue, also its a tall plane and the model is pretty heavy to boot. I didn't bother to assemble most of the engine as its not seen, but that's where the weight comes from. The front gear has to be assembled before the fuselage is put together but I just attached the top two sections and taped them up, adding the rest at the end of the build, still a great kit though, hope that helps Will,

Cheers, Ian
On the bench:

Academy 1/35 Merkava Mk 3

Last completed
Italeri 1/72 F104C "SMOKE II" (Vietnam GB)
User avatar
Fredrik64
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 230
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 3:18 pm
Sweden

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Fredrik64 »

Sweet great builds ! :th:
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Nige201980 »

Nice build mate and welcome to the forum.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Whizzo
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:59 am
Location: Houston TX

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Whizzo »

Nice 102 by the way. I am currently building the Encore kit of the same fighter. Hope mine comes out half this good!

Fred
A Canadian living the Texas life :pistols:

On the bench:

1/48 Airfix CT-155 Hawk (Mk115)
1/48 Airfix Sea Harrier FRS.1
User avatar
MerseyTrainz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Great Britain

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by MerseyTrainz »

:welcome: to the ISM forum Ian :th:

What!! :eeek: Your first 2 builds for 25 years, :jd:

Nice exhibits, you've not lost any of you skills in 25 years!!!

Well done Ian
Best regards... Stephen (MerseyTrainz)

On the Bench... Tamiya 1/35 British Army Chieftain Mk.5 Military Model Tank (35068), Tamiya 1/35 US Army M3 Stuart Light Tank - WW2 (35042)
User avatar
billlarisa
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:56 am
Location: Greece
Greece

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by billlarisa »

:welcome: to the ISM
Beautiful work.. i love both of them..nice painting job
Bill-Greece
Thunderchief1966
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 am
Location: Blackpool, Lancashire UK

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Thunderchief1966 »

Hey, thanks once again for the comments guys it's really appreciated I feel really welcome :banana:

I tried a couple of different paints and practiced on some sheets of photo paper first to get a feel for the airbrush, the Humbrol acrylics were awful and dried like sand, the Revell aqua were ok but didn't like being thinned too much but brush well,but after paul's review of Mr Hooby I tried them out and they are just excellent,not once during the camo session did the AB tip dry out, but don't brush with them.I did watch a lot of youtube tutorials and took my time, about two months per build, which stopped the frustration when things were getting a bit tricky :ooops:

Thanks again, Ian
On the bench:

Academy 1/35 Merkava Mk 3

Last completed
Italeri 1/72 F104C "SMOKE II" (Vietnam GB)
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by UKguyInUSA »

:welcome: to ISM! :)

Those builds are very impressive mate....I wouldn't know what advice to give you! :thumb1: :thumb1:

I love the nose art the Thunderchief! :tongue:

Cheers :cheers2:

Martin
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
Thunderchief1966
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:55 am
Location: Blackpool, Lancashire UK

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Thunderchief1966 »

Ha Ha cheers Martin, the lady in question comes in her own separate bag with modesty cover for the easily offended !! :shock: :shock:

cheers,Ian
On the bench:

Academy 1/35 Merkava Mk 3

Last completed
Italeri 1/72 F104C "SMOKE II" (Vietnam GB)
Scaleman
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 pm
Location: North pole Sweden

Re: My first 2 builds for 25 years, Century Series

Post by Scaleman »

Well you shure have not lost it, wonderful work.
Youtube Channel WarWarNeverChanges

On the bench 10+
Im a multi build addict trying to reduce
Post Reply

Return to “Air Gallery”