Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post Reply
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

My first SIG ever!! :dance:
I just hope my entry is eligible.

Anyways, here it is; the Revell reboxing of the 1/35 ICM "Henschel Type 33D1" 3-ton cargo truck. I was in my local Hobbytown a few months ago, browsing their (very) limited selection of model kits when this one caught my eye. It looked interesting, but I decided to pass it up. Days went by and I couldn't get the kit out of my head, like some poor puppy that nobody wanted. I made up my mind to get it, and once I had the funds I immediately raced back to Hobbytown and picked it up.

Thing was, though, I didn't really have any motivation at the time to build it. So up in the closet it went, till I saw this SIG was coming up, and decided, "why not?"

So, here's a little history of the vehicle, courtesy of the kit's instructions:

"In 1926, in the course of the first motorization program, the German Army required the development of cross-country six-wheeled trucks with a capacity weight of 3 tons. In addition to Henschel the firms Bussing and Krupp also participated in the development. Henschel supplied the first "Type 33 B 1" vehicles in 1928. Compared to the civil variants these vehicles for the German defense forces had three-spoke wheels with twin tires on the rear axles. By the following year the "Type 33 D 1" with a more powerful diesel engine (100hp) had been introduced. This type can be recognized by it's longer bonnet ("hood" to us Yanks! :tongue: ) and extended wheel base between first and second axles. In the early versions of the "Type 33 D 1" the rear axles were driven by separate drive shafts. Later vehicles from 1934 onwards had only one drive shaft with drive-through to the second rear axle. Simplex wheel rims with six spokes were also used. By the time production ended in 1942 about 22,000 of all variants of the Type 33 had rolled off the Henschel line."

Some pics of the real thing:

Image

Image

Image

Image
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Daishi12 »

Should look good in a diorama :th:
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Okay, so here's the requisite info:

Box art:

Image

Sprue shots:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Sorry for the somewhat hazy pics; I think I was in a hurry because I took these just before work. :doh:

Instructions:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Markings options:

Image

Image

Image

Out of all three, the third option has the most interesting color scheme, but I'm going with the first option in overall Panzer Grey.

This kit only has seven sprues (well, six actually, one is duplicated) but the instructions have 88 steps-89 if you count decaling! :jd:

I'm going to build this OOB; no PE, no resin, just what's in the box. The kit itself is very well detailed, and I'm hoping that I can show that off as I go along.

So let's start putting glue to sprue! :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Looks like a cool truck to model and good luck with that camo scheme if you decide to go with option 3! :) :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Forgot to add a photo of the decals!

Image
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Nev »

Looking good there! Will be following this. Will be interesting to see which way you go with the scheme. Go team Henschel :thumb2:
Last edited by Nev on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Nev wrote:Looking good there! Will be following this interesting to see which way you go with the scheme. Go team Henschel :thumb2:
Thanks, Nev! I'm gonna be watching your build, too! :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Construction commences!

I decided to start with the rear wheels:

Image

Image

Once the wheels were done I decided to just follow the instructions from that point on. First up is the truck's frame; no one-piece frames here, the frame sides and cross members all come separate. The plastic is extremely brittle; the starter crank broke when I was trimming the sprue gate off. Also, every piece has a mold seam on it, so I've had to clean those up, too.

But anyways, here's the frame nearly completed:

Image

That's where I am at this point; I just wanted to share a quick update.

Till next time! :hi:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
Tiger131
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: walsall
England

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Tiger131 »

love the heavy look of these..and looking forward to your build
Image
Yevgeny
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Worthing, UK

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Yevgeny »

I'm going to sound like a broken record, but this is another great kit in this SiG.
And you lot make it very difficult, because I want to join in, but can't yet!
Sir, we're surrounded!
Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!
------------------------------------------------
Model N1 DONE! - Tamiya 1:35 Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Sd.kfz.171 Ausf.A
Model N2 DONE! - Academy 1:72 M1126 Stryker
Working on:Trumpeter (00204)
Waiting: Meng (SS-004), Airfix (A50125), Tamiya (35068)
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Daishi12 wrote:Should look good in a diorama :th:
Yeah, I'd been musing on that idea, too; probably later, though.
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

UKguyInUSA wrote:Looks like a cool truck to model and good luck with that camo scheme if you decide to go with option 3! :) :thumb1:
Thanks, Martin!
At the moment I'm planning on option 1; a truck stationed in Cologne, France in overall Panzer Grey.
But it's still pretty early in the SIG, so I could change my mind later on.... :think:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
Unit53
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:23 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Unit53 »

Never seen this kit before but it looks like a good one, good luck with the build and I'll definitely be watching this one.

:cheers2:
Martin
User avatar
fly1ngdutchm4n
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: Hoogerheide The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by fly1ngdutchm4n »

Awesome looking truck!
Watching it come together with interest! :thumb1:
Build what you love, Love what you build
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Update time.

So I got the frame assembled according to step 13 in the instructions:

Muffler and exhaust pipe:

Image

fuel tanks, towing hitch and towing hooks:


Image

I temporarily lost a towing hook to the carpet monster; while I was looking for it thoughts came to my head like, "Why do these freaking kits have to have so many freaking tiny parts?" and "I wonder if that Zvezda BTR-70 is still at Hobby Depot? That's what I SHOULD have gotten!!" followed by "Why do I even do this hobby?" and lastly, "I just can't do anything right." :violin: :violin:

Then I found the towing hook and all was right with the world. :th: :banana: :tongue:

I'm not sure what this is, some kind of winch?

Image

In step 14 I started building the engine block. I had a short moment of terror and melodrama :roll: when I thought I had glued the cylinder block on backwards. I tried prying it off with my xacto knife, but all that did was snap pieces off the blade and embed them in the plastic. It took five minutes of careful examination of the instructions to realize that I had done it right in the first place. :doh:

But anyways, here is the engine so far with the exhaust manifold, air filters, and what I guess is a coolant line in place:

Image

And I also jumped ahead and began building the rear axles:

Image

That's where I'm at for now. Till next time! :hi:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Unit53 wrote:Never seen this kit before but it looks like a good one, good luck with the build and I'll definitely be watching this one.

:cheers2:
Martin
Thanks for the support, Martin! :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

fly1ngdutchm4n wrote:Awesome looking truck!
Watching it come together with interest! :thumb1:
Thanks, Frans!
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
Russ72
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Russ72 »

Good start Trekfan, cool looking truck mate. :th:
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Russ72 wrote:Good start Trekfan, cool looking truck mate. :th:
Thanks, Russ! :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
kiwigav
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 am
Location: Nelson - New Zealand
New Zealand

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by kiwigav »

Nice choice looks to be a fun build :th:
Cheers Gav

On The Bench OK where do I start :wtf:
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

kiwigav wrote:Nice choice looks to be a fun build :th:
Thanks, Gav!
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
Deacon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Deacon »

I like this model and have been tempted several times to buy it so i'll be watching with interest. :thumb2:
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by wappynutter »

...and again another excellent ICM Truck.. Very cool build Trekfan, going to be watching this for sure..
Nicely detailed piece of kit this, and you are doing a superb job with it..Well done !
Continued success buddy..
All the best.. :thumb1:
:pop: :pop:.. Just gonna hang and eat popcorn... :whistle:
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Deacon wrote:I like this model and have been tempted several times to buy it so i'll be watching with interest. :thumb2:
Thanks, Deacon! If you find it you should buy it!
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

wappynutter wrote:...and again another excellent ICM Truck.. Very cool build Trekfan, going to be watching this for sure..
Nicely detailed piece of kit this, and you are doing a superb job with it..Well done !
Continued success buddy..
All the best.. :thumb1:
:pop: :pop:.. Just gonna hang and eat popcorn... :whistle:
:cheers2:
Thanks, Andy! Enjoy the popcorn!
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

In the immortal words of Alice Cooper: "SCHOOOOOOLS...OUT...FOR...EVER!"
The class I was taking ate up a lot of my time, but now it's done, so I can focus on this build.
Some of my pics are out of sequence; my mind was teetering between, "I still need to finish that paper," and "I have time to get this glued together first," and, "Oh crap, I forgot to take a picture of that first!" :doh:

So, here's what I've been up to:

I went ahead and built up the remaining parts for the rear axles:
Leaf springs:

Image

Image

Image

I then completed the rear axle assembly:

Image

Image

In some of the pics you can see the floorboards and engine firewall, but I only glued those so that I could install all of the control lines; there's not much to see there...yet.

Getting those leaf spring subassemblies into location was the biggest PITA I've ever had on a kit...EVER. It felt like I needed three hands just to get everything on and into position. :crazy:

There are so many long thin connecting lines on the chassis; somehow, only one ended up broken. The little hoop things that go over the axle arms in the second picture, however, were a WHOLE other story. I think only one ended up in one piece; the rest broke into at least three parts each and I had to reassemble them. It got so frustrating that I actually considered leaving them off altogether. At least all of these broken parts are on the underside.

So up next was the front axle:

Image

Image

I also installed the engine and drivetrain:

Image

That thing on the side of the frame that I thought was a winch is actually some part of the drivetrain.

The biggest problem of this kit is that every part's successful location is heavily dependent on another part's successful alignment. So, far I've been lucky, but I'm just waiting for something to go horribly wrong. :(

On the bright side, the chassis is practically completed, and it seems to be the most difficult part of the build, so if I can get through that, the rest should be a piece of cake! :th:

Still plenty of time to get this done; and I'll have the next two weeks off for Christmas, so I'll really be able to crack down and work on this thing.

Till next time! :hi:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Nev »

Keep at it dude!! I feel your pain My build is going the same :ooops:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Nev wrote:Keep at it dude!! I feel your pain My build is going the same :ooops:
Thanks, Nev; I guess misery loves company, right? :tongue:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
Deacon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by Deacon »

trekfanj wrote:
Nev wrote:Keep at it dude!! I feel your pain My build is going the same :ooops:
Thanks, Nev; I guess misery loves company, right? :tongue:
You're not a Metallica fan by any chance? :thumb2:

A great start mate. :thumb2:
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/35 Henschel Type 33 D1 cargo truck

Post by trekfanj »

Deacon wrote:
trekfanj wrote:
Nev wrote:Keep at it dude!! I feel your pain My build is going the same :ooops:
Thanks, Nev; I guess misery loves company, right? :tongue:
You're not a Metallica fan by any chance? :thumb2:

A great start mate. :thumb2:
Thanks, Deacon!
I don't really consider myself a fan, but I haven't heard a Metallica song I didn't like.
"Fuel" and "Nothing Else Matters" are my favorites! :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”