Decal weathering.

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
User avatar
richb77
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Hesse, Germany

Decal weathering.

Post by richb77 »

Hi All.

I have been reading the forum for a long while now but didnt have anything i could add (Well i thought nothing) and no questions to ask. So PLEASE forgive me for being a noob member firing of with a question!

So here it is.

I am building a 1/16 Sherman tank (Tamiya RC to be exact). I am making up custom decals on laser waterslide paper that i have used many times before with great effect.

What i want to know is the best way to weather the decals. Should i pre weather them (design in the effects on Inkscape/Gimp) or weather the perfect decals on the model?

If the later...How?

Thanks!
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Decal weathering.

Post by Lego »

I would always put decals on first and then weather.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Decal weathering.

Post by Coen »

I'm with Ian, add the decals and weather them into the tank. That way they won't look toy like or like stickers.
Lay down a nice gloss coat add the decals, then seal them with another gloss. Later on, after all of your painted weathering is done, spray or brush a flat coat on. They'll look like paint if you do that,
User avatar
richb77
New Recruit
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Hesse, Germany

Re: Decal weathering.

Post by richb77 »

Thanks chaps. I understand the layering better now.

However i want to chip/wear the decals (as in someone walking over them/ sand damage/ weapons damage) so they need to be eroded. Hows the best method for doing that without tearing the decal?
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Decal weathering.

Post by Coen »

Other than painting the chips right on the decal after they are applied and sealed, there's no way that I can think of Rich. Myself I would use paint.
If I were to try to physically weather the decal I would take a soft tooth brush to the decal after I sealed it with the gloss coat. It would be stronger and more able to take the abuse. I've never done that before so I'm not sure what would happen. The quality of decal would also come into play as well, as some decals are really thin and some are as thick as pool liners.
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Decal weathering.

Post by Lego »

I have scraped the decals with a pin. Streaked scratches etc...
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
User avatar
cib2265
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: Decal weathering.

Post by cib2265 »

A good question - I have heard of a technique using Tamiya X-20 enamel thinners that will eat away the carrier film and then with some rubbing of your finger or a cotton bud will slowly "eat" the decal underneath, which depending on how aggressive you want to get you could also use sharper objects (toothpick or tweezer) to scratch away even more.

Have to do this over acrylic paints of course or it will ruin the paintwork.

I havent done this yet but want to try it when I can because its also a very good way to get rid of silvering - also please show us the 1/16 Sherman!
Chris Becker in Sunshine Coast, Australia
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”