Trumpeter T-80BVD

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Right ... After finishing off some shelf queens and finished the Type 87, I decided to do a full build log for this T-80.

I will not be posting some sprue shots as I have already made a review for this particular kit. You guys can check out the sprue shots over there.
http://modeller-innovation.blogspot.com ... 80bvd.html

But just for the sake for it, here's the box art -
Image

Right, so first step, the running gears. This is step 2 in the manual as I skipped step 1, which is the step for making the wheels.
Image

I had to put on the suspension arm swing limiters for both side in this step. Small little pieces, nothing too hard.

After that, I had to make 3 shocker absorbers for the left side.
Image

Here, I have noticed a mistake in the instructions. In stead of A25, it is actually supposed to be A5. That took me a while to figure out the correct part as I have to figure out and dry fit and match with the illustrations.

After that, I finished up step 2 by putting on those shock absorbers along with the arms and the sprocket hub.
Image

Comes step 3 and I started out with the shock absorbers for the right side. I was expecting the manual to be mis-labelled but it appears they got it right for this side.
Image

Further along step 3; I put on the wheel arms on the left side along with some kind of hub or housing for the idler wheel.

The instruction calls for putting on the belt/holder for the unditching log but knowing full well how rough I am when it comes to handling, I decided to be come back to that later on.

Image

I also put on the engineering blade at this point.

Coming into step 4, I put on the Sprocket hub along with the wheel arms -
Image

Further along into step 4, I put on the hydraulic rods for the mechanism for deploying the engineering blade.

After that, I put on the last parts for step 4, where are the little rubber mud flaps that we always see underneath the T-80 series. You have an option of using rubbery material or pure plastic. I choose to go for the former as I believe their natural flexibility would mimic the real thing better than the plastic parts.
Image

Step 5 - Time for the driver periscopes. Unfortunately, the slots are too small and I pushed the scopes into them with so much force that there were physical deformations on the periscopes area. If you look closely, you will see that deformation between the right ( our right, the vehicles' left ) and middle scope.
Image

Step 6 and 7 - Although there are numerous little steps and parts involved, the ERA and some other small parts on the front glacis went on quite quickly. By the end of step 7, something funny happened. I thought the part F4 wasn't labelled at all so I wrote it down but I found that it is called out in the manual to put it on after 2 more steps. Why they even bother to show it on the manual in step 6 is beyond me. LOL.
Image

ြGlued the front half of the hull to the chassis and that brings us to the end of step 7. I had to use a liberal amount of glue as the fitting is kinda loose but it still sits nicely, just had to hold it down for a while.
Image

I then put on the initial parts on the Rear Engine deck; basically just the big piece of engine mesh, the smaller mesh and another part.
Image

Before stopping, I delved a little into step 8 and glued on the engine deck. The way trumpeter made it, you can show the engine deck lifted up assuming that one can find the Diesel engine for the T-80UD.
Image

And this is it for this update. I will keep you all posted.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Coen »

That's so,e massive progress Gary. Sweet looking kit too. At least she looks cool.
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by schweinhund227 »

Nice progress ! :cheers2:
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by MarkVerploeg »

Nice progress Gary
The soviet and russian tanks have a certain look to them don't they
Good look with the build
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
PaulAyrey
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by PaulAyrey »

Brilliant start Gary, looks like an awesome machine and I am sure you will do a stunning job as usual!
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

MarkVerploeg wrote:Nice progress Gary
The soviet and russian tanks have a certain look to them don't they
Good look with the build
Thanks Mark.. and yes.... originally not a fan of Russian tanks but I have to admit, they changed my view and tastes
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Coen wrote:That's so,e massive progress Gary. Sweet looking kit too. At least she looks cool.
Thanks Coen... seeing as how these suspension parts are so over engineered, yes, I guess that would be a massive progress. I hated doing them. So time-consuming for something i won't be able to see anyway :/
schweinhund227 wrote:Nice progress ! :cheers2:
Thanks buddy
PaulAyrey wrote:Brilliant start Gary, looks like an awesome machine and I am sure you will do a stunning job as usual!
Thanks paul ... Stunning job, I'm not too sure about that ....
Yevgeny
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:37 am
Location: Worthing, UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Yevgeny »

Great choice of tank (I'm biased toward Russian stuff :D).
Looking forward to see how your work progresses :)
Sir, we're surrounded!
Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!
------------------------------------------------
Model N1 DONE! - Tamiya 1:35 Panzerkampfwagen V Panther Sd.kfz.171 Ausf.A
Model N2 DONE! - Academy 1:72 M1126 Stryker
Working on:Trumpeter (00204)
Waiting: Meng (SS-004), Airfix (A50125), Tamiya (35068)
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Right... Time for an update for this gal -

Now that I have put on the upper hull and chassis together, I moved on to the rear of the vehicle -
First step, I put on all those parts that I have shown with the arrows-
Image

Followed by two more -
Image
The one on the vehicle's left is a cover for the exhaust

Next, I put on the overhang grille/intake-
Image

After putting that on, I did an inspection of the tank all around and I noticed there is a big gap along the edge of the engine cover over-hang and the rear hull. I cutt off some plastic strips to size,slide them in, glue them and finally closed it up with a great product; Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic.
Image

Another thing I noticed after inspection was that there seems to be a little slot just infront of the engine cover but it hasn't been called out in the manual. Using observations and logic, I noticed that I have to put on part Y15 in this little slow ( as shown in the photo with the red arrow )but the instruction totally omitted that. Therefore, I just put it on as I'm pretty sure this is where it goes.
Image

Now that I have put on everything I need to put on on the lower hulls and the top hull, I decided it's time I build the wheels and started making the tracks to make painting easier.
Image

Image

I painted the wheels according to the colour scheme I want to go for -
Image

Yes, this is basically a prototype for the T-80UD for the Ukrainian army but I want to see it with a Russian Black-Dark Green-Grey scheme; not to mention such scheme can be seen in the T-64BV in Crimean crisis.

Painted and weather the tracks -
Image

Image

After that, I painted the lower hull, chassis and the top hull with a base of dark green, let it dry and put on the wheels and tracks-
Image

Image

After that, I moved on to step 11 and 12;
Step 11 being the right fender and side skirts -
Image

and step 12 being the left fender and skirt -
Image

Glued them on to the side of the hull and voila - we now have an almost complete hull.
Image

All that is needed now is some more smaller parts between the fenders and the main hull and the the front lights and I should be done with the entire hull.

That's it for now. See you at the next update
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Wow, you get through a lot builds! This one is looking good, as usual, but seems to have come from nowhere! :) :thumb1:

PS...excuse my ignorance...what is a shelf Queen?

Cheers :cheers2:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

UKguyInUSA wrote:Wow, you get through a lot builds! This one is looking good, as usual, but seems to have come from nowhere! :) :thumb1:

PS...excuse my ignorance...what is a shelf Queen?

Cheers :cheers2:
yep.. I'm so free this year that I been building so much .. :P ... and a shelf queen is basically kits that we modellers let sit on our shelf, forgotten. They are either only partly build or very badly finished.. LOL
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Donkeywalloper »

Gary, as normal its an awesome build mate.
You do a fantastic job on every build.
I would love to know how you get your arrowns on your pictures?
:cheers2:
John
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by UKguyInUSA »

garywintin wrote:
UKguyInUSA wrote:Wow, you get through a lot builds! This one is looking good, as usual, but seems to have come from nowhere! :) :thumb1:

PS...excuse my ignorance...what is a shelf Queen?

Cheers :cheers2:
yep.. I'm so free this year that I been building so much .. :P ... and a shelf queen is basically kits that we modellers let sit on our shelf, forgotten. They are either only partly build or very badly finished.. LOL

Hey Gary, thanks for clarifying what a "Shelf Queen" is mate. :)
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Donkeywalloper wrote:Gary, as normal its an awesome build mate.
You do a fantastic job on every build.
I would love to know how you get your arrowns on your pictures?
:cheers2:
John
Hey John... it's by Photobucket... click on a picture that you want to edit, and if you hover your mouse on the top right of the photo, you will see 4 little icons. One of them is ''Edit'' and once you click on it, use ''Stickers'' for the arrows.
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

UKguyInUSA wrote:
garywintin wrote:
UKguyInUSA wrote:Wow, you get through a lot builds! This one is looking good, as usual, but seems to have come from nowhere! :) :thumb1:

PS...excuse my ignorance...what is a shelf Queen?

Cheers :cheers2:
yep.. I'm so free this year that I been building so much .. :P ... and a shelf queen is basically kits that we modellers let sit on our shelf, forgotten. They are either only partly build or very badly finished.. LOL

Hey Gary, thanks for clarifying what a "Shelf Queen" is mate. :)
ummm.. you are most welcome ( I think ) .. LOL :thumb1: :thumb1: :thumb1: :thumb1: :thumb1:
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Update time.

This time- I will be focusing on the turret.

Started by gluing the two halves of the turret together. The turret comes with moulded on cast texture but it's a little soft but since I'm happy with this so I didn't put on the extra cast texture.
This is how the turret looks -
Image

After that, I started putting on the ERA blocks (this is the kontakt-1 bricks according to sources).
I stared on the right cheek of the turret. Each single set up of the blocks involved 5 parts and it took quite a bit of effort and steady hands-
Image

You can see in this photo the photo etch support that goes in between the upper and lower bricks -
Image

Imagine doing that for 5 times. But that's not all. this is only just for this area.
Followed that up with more block set-ups for the side.
Image
The side blocks are vertically facing outward and these were quite fragile and fiddly so extra care has to be exercised.

Next, I moved on the the left cheek. For some reason, the blocks are set up in an easier way for the left cheek so rather then each individual blocks, I just had to do a whole row.
Image
Still, not an easy job as you can clearly see on the photo.

That entire row goes on the left check along with some roof blocks on the edge of the cheek and side -
Image

Followed up by the side blocks and SGLs -
Image

Satisfied with this, I moved on to the back of the turret. I had to put on two little pieces of PE as indicated by the arrow. I don't know what they are but the manual say I have to so yeah.... and I also put on one of the boxes. What are those boxes anyway?
Image

Next, I put on the turret basket.
Image

while putting it on, I realise it was really wobbly at the bottom and after inspection, I found out that the two supports for the bottom of the basket is missing. I am not certain whether trumpy forgot to mould it entirely or I broke them or cut them in mistake. Regardless, I used the evergreen rods I have ready and made some fixing.
Image
It's not glamorous but hey, it works.

After that, I put on the fording equipment. Bear in mind, this is not the big fording tube of the T-80BV. As far as I have looked, these are found on the T-80UD.
Image
I also put on the 2nd box on the right side of the turret. The upper portion of that little rack is empty as I haven't put on the machine gun ammo box yet. I want to paint them first in different colours so I'm leaving them off until I painted them.

Next, I moved on to the gunner hatch. For a hatch, this were is some intricate steps and engineering involved.
Image

I then put on 3 of the P.E parts on the roof and sights and the base of the gun. At this point, I have glued the two halves of the gun together and now, this is how the model looks -
Image

That's it for now.
Last edited by garywintin on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
gustavlekstal
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by gustavlekstal »

Looks great! Building my first modern now. Gonna steal your approach with assembly and paintwork. Cheers!
Regards Gustav

Dragon t-34/85 premium mod 44
Done! viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15153&p=189978#p189978

Dragon 15cm sig33 auf pz.kpfw Ib
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10747

Jsu-152 tamiya with et modelling pe
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12313
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Donkeywalloper »

garywintin wrote:
Donkeywalloper wrote:Gary, as normal its an awesome build mate.
You do a fantastic job on every build.
I would love to know how you get your arrowns on your pictures?
:cheers2:
John
Hey John... it's by Photobucket... click on a picture that you want to edit, and if you hover your mouse on the top right of the photo, you will see 4 little icons. One of them is ''Edit'' and once you click on it, use ''Stickers'' for the arrows.
Cheers Gary.
I thought it was so clever what you were doing.
Thank you for sharing.
Great build and always watch your builds.
John
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

gustavlekstal wrote:Looks great! Building my first modern now. Gonna steal your approach with assembly and paintwork. Cheers!
Thanks man ... Sure you can .. this approach works best for busy looking vehicles such at the Russians.. the Nato vehicles don't need to be this too long-winded...
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Donkeywalloper wrote:
garywintin wrote:
Donkeywalloper wrote:Gary, as normal its an awesome build mate.
You do a fantastic job on every build.
I would love to know how you get your arrowns on your pictures?
:cheers2:
John
Hey John... it's by Photobucket... click on a picture that you want to edit, and if you hover your mouse on the top right of the photo, you will see 4 little icons. One of them is ''Edit'' and once you click on it, use ''Stickers'' for the arrows.
Cheers Gary.
I thought it was so clever what you were doing.
Thank you for sharing.
Great build and always watch your builds.
John
Thanks john.. It's probably my OCD .. My OCD is that I like to be precise and I feel I have to give the best presentation as possible.... LOL ...

Thank you for watching my builds... the more support and encouragement I have, the better I can build ... not to mention make friends... :)
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by MarkVerploeg »

I guess i missed the last update
But it is looking very nice
Makes me want to build some modern armor
Good thing i have some in the stash
Keep up the good work
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Donkeywalloper »

You do have friends indeed here.
OCD is something I have never been diagnosed by a quack with, but know I have.
I can't stop wiping water away from sink tops in Kitchen..... :eeek:
I call it Attention to Detail which is part of my job. Its a mantra I have always carried, that doing anything should be done well.
I think it is what suits itself to Modelling.
I take for an instance, that at the moment I am decorating a room.
My wife knows I will do it well.
To be honest to well.
Again Attention to Detail. People see the end result and of course the reply is "you should do this for a living".
I would never make any money at the time it takes me to complete.
I love your builds for your dedication and your fantastic Attention to Detail.
Its not wrong to take time and do something well. To be honest if more people took a little longer and put the care and time into tasks and jobs the world would be a better place. That and talking and less arguing and aggression (from a man in love with Armour :th: )
Great job Gary.
:cheers2:
John
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by alextheblue »

Another cracking build Gary, looks excellent. Nice fix with the turret basket as well, well spotted.! :th:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you use to paint and weather your tracks - absolutely love 'em! :cheers2:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by schweinhund227 »

:cheers2: That looks like a Mean Green Killing Machine....

Awesome work ! :thumb2:
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

alextheblue wrote:Another cracking build Gary, looks excellent. Nice fix with the turret basket as well, well spotted.! :th:

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you use to paint and weather your tracks - absolutely love 'em! :cheers2:
Alex - it's actually a alot of steps involved. I will list them step by step -

1 - Prime ( obviously LOL )
2 - Sprayed on Vallejo Air Steel
3 - Make a a little thick wash out of Vandyke Brown colour oil paint
4 - Applied 4 different colour of pigment on the visible areas of the tracks. The pigments were applied dry.
5- fixed the pigment with tamiya thinner first and then a bit more dry application and fix it finally with White spirit
6 - Painted the rubber pads ( naturally, I waited until the spirits has dried and the pigment finally settled in)
7 - Brushed a darker colour pigment over the rubber pads
8 - Dry brushed Vallejo Air steel for the polished areas of the tracks
9 - tone down the dry brushed steel by rubbing a graphite stick

and voila .......
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Right ... up date is due on this baby. Haven't touched it for a long time. I been on a vacation with sister and family friends.

Works continued on the Turret.
Last time, I left things here -
Image

Before I work on it, I had some almost empty bottle of green paints so while cleaning them, I decided to spray all those green on the turret as a mean to serve as a primer so you will see a very light green painted turret on this update :P.

Anyway, I started putting on some of the things I need to put on.
This is the turret left side -
Image

The search light at this point has no lenses install so as to make masking easier. The gunner sight comes closed which would be a PITA for some people who like to show the sights open but I don't mind; less masking job for me.

This is the turret back top -
I don't know what is that little thing is; it kind of looked like a speaker or a ventilator. The instruction calls for the little P.E parts to be closed but after careful dry fitting, I found out I can leave it open so I left it open as you can see from the photo. On top is the back search light ( or is it a convoy light? a little big for a convoy light no ? )
Image

Turret left back -
I put on the last of the little box that we see on T-80s ( this is the third and last one on this T-80 version) along with a larger storage box on the turret rack.
Image

Come backing to the front left again -
I put on the shade or cover for the gunner sight. I think this is the direct sight. Care was exercised not to overly apply the CA glue to avoid a very messy attachment.
Image

After that, I moved on to the Commander Hatch and the RWS.
The whole thing is a quite complicated and it strained my eyes to the braking point. Luckily, having build the Zvezda T-90's commander hatch and MG, this is nothing. After about 3 swear/curse filled hours, I finally got it -
Image

Back top view of the hatch and gun -
Image

At this point, you will notice that I haven't put on the MG ammo box. I'm still thinking should I or should I not put on the ammo box at all.

After that, i moved on to the last piece I need to put on the turret; the big light ( is it IR or normal light or switch-able?) on the right side of the gun -
Image

and Last but not least, the front lights. Again, no lenses are install so as to make masking easier.
Image

Finally happy and confirming with the manual that I have nothing more to put on, I masked all the running gears and tracks and started painting.

Firstly , I gave it a blast of Tamiya Dark Green for base coat -
Image

After that, I sprayed on Aircraft Grey from Mr. Hobby Aqueous -
Image
The airfact grey I used is glossy but once I flat coated it, there shouldn't be a problem.

And Finally, finished off with VMA Black.
Image

Since I am a very lazy guy and couldn't be bothered to mask, there were over-sprays but nothing a few precise re-spray of the previous colour couldn't fix.

And that's that. Almost complete. Next step is the weathering. Stay tuned for more. Thanks for reading.
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Looking pretty cool so far, Gary! :) :thumb1: :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by schweinhund227 »

:thumb2: :bow:: :thumb1:
User avatar
Dunhill2005
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm
Location: Wunstorf, Germany
Germany

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Dunhill2005 »

Great work and great kit so far!!!! :th:
Love it...
I think I have to start my T-80 (hiding in my stash) after the Vietnam-GB... :wtf:
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Dunhill2005 wrote:Great work and great kit so far!!!! :th:
Love it...
I think I have to start my T-80 (hiding in my stash) after the Vietnam-GB... :wtf:
You should Kevin... what do you have? a Trumpy?
User avatar
Dunhill2005
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm
Location: Wunstorf, Germany
Germany

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Dunhill2005 »

garywintin wrote:
Dunhill2005 wrote:Great work and great kit so far!!!! :th:
Love it...
I think I have to start my T-80 (hiding in my stash) after the Vietnam-GB... :wtf:
You should Kevin... what do you have? a Trumpy?
Sorry, wrong link...
I think everyone can read my message :lol:

A T-80BV with ERA from Zvezda is hiding in my stash
zvezda3592reviewjw_box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

oooh... that is quite an old kit .. I hope you don't get too crazy with frustration when u build it .. LOL

( again, posted here for every one to see :P )
User avatar
Dunhill2005
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm
Location: Wunstorf, Germany
Germany

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Dunhill2005 »

garywintin wrote:oooh... that is quite an old kit .. I hope you don't get too crazy with frustration when u build it .. LOL

( again, posted here for every one to see :P )
This kit was a gift from my wife.
I've watched at some reviews on the internet and I must say: Yes, the kit is a bit older but it is not so bad.
In addition, Everybody can assemble a Tamiya kit. I see this as a challenge... :lol:
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Donkeywalloper »

Dunhill2005 wrote:
garywintin wrote:oooh... that is quite an old kit .. I hope you don't get too crazy with frustration when u build it .. LOL

( again, posted here for every one to see :P )
This kit was a gift from my wife.
I've watched at some reviews on the internet and I must say: Yes, the kit is a bit older but it is not so bad.
In addition, Everybody can assemble a Tamiya kit. I see this as a challenge... :lol:
A man likes a challenge, that was why woman was invented :lol:
Can't wait to see the builds.
John
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

haha. nice one John .... he's right, Kevin ... let us know when you start cracking on this ...
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Alright ... last update on this baby gal -

Now that I have finished painting, it was time for the pin wash. Doing pin wash on this wasn't exactly a quick job. So many surface details.
Per the suggestion of a talented modeller who goes by the name of Coen, I used Burnt Umber for the pin wash colour.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Being tired of making too many kits with clumps of mud; dry or wet, I decided to weather this gal in a setting where it is stained with muddy water rather then mud itself.

First, I applied AK's Earth effect via airbrush -
Image

Image

Image

The very stained front portion of the tank was brush painted with the same effect. Mud splatters have been added by speckling a brush loaded with the effect wash with a skewer stick and by blowing air onto the brush.

After that, I thinned the MIG pigments '' Dry mud '' with tamiya thinner, draw some streakings and wipe them off with my fingers so that only some fade effect is left. This is to show the dried streakings of muddy water on the side.

Image

Image

Image

Image

I'm pretty sure I might have to spray some more AK's earth effect on top of the streakings which I will do so later.
As this point, I have already painted the vision ports, and the machine gun along with a very light black smoke effect underneath the exhaust.

So this is it. This wip has now come to a close. I will take the showcase photos later on and put up a finished product gallery very soon.

Thanks for the supports through out the build.
User avatar
Tiger131
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: walsall
England

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Tiger131 »

mudding hell they need to wash there tank..great job and real nice weathering
Image
User avatar
HWGuderian23
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1652
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Zweibrücken, Germany
Germany

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by HWGuderian23 »

Stunning paintwork and weathering Gary! Looks amazing :th:
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Coen »

That's superb work Gary. That mud is right on the money. Well done!!!
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Donkeywalloper »

You know once in a while its great to see someone thinking about how armour works with its environments (Not all mud and dirty gerty looks :crazy: ).
Gary you have nailed this mate.
Really brilliant and replicates that dip into muddy streams and rivers that armour conquers.
If I had a hat, it would be raised by me on a six foot stake :clap: .
Love it.
John
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Donkeywalloper wrote:You know once in a while its great to see someone thinking about how armour works with its environments (Not all mud and dirty gerty looks :crazy: ).
Gary you have nailed this mate.
Really brilliant and replicates that dip into muddy streams and rivers that armour conquers.
If I had a hat, it would be raised by me on a six foot stake :clap: .
Love it.
John
oh John, you give me too much credit. My skills are not that high sir. And this effect is nothing but mediocre, simply added by airbrushing layers of effect products. Thank you very much though.
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Hillbilly »

Brilliant paintwork and the weathering is spot-on in my opinion :bow::
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
JohnP
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Chicago, USA
United States of America

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by JohnP »

Very nice, Gary sir :)
User avatar
Dunhill2005
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm
Location: Wunstorf, Germany
Germany

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by Dunhill2005 »

garywintin wrote:haha. nice one John .... he's right, Kevin ... let us know when you start cracking on this ...
I'll start this Kit at the beginning of the next year. I think it fits great for the "Modern Armour" GB/SiG..
Is it a SiG or a GB? I'm not sure at the Moment... :scratch::
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by garywintin »

Tiger131 wrote:mudding hell they need to wash there tank..great job and real nice weathering
haha.. yes they do :) thank you
Coen wrote:That's superb work Gary. That mud is right on the money. Well done!!!
Thank you so very much Coen. Also, I very much appreciate your help with the pin wash. It was very helpful.
HWGuderian23 wrote:Stunning paintwork and weathering Gary! Looks amazing :th:
Thank you sir.
Hillbilly wrote:Brilliant paintwork and the weathering is spot-on in my opinion :bow::
Thank you kindly
JohnP wrote:Very nice, Gary sir :)
hey John.. the elusive korean finally say something :P
User avatar
JayCub
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:58 pm
Location: Wicklow Ireland

Re: Trumpeter T-80BVD

Post by JayCub »

Another great build and work log, I really like the sprayed on mud effect realistic, awesome Gary
Tom
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”