Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

This will be a build of Revells latest re-boxing of their nowadays classic 1/48 F-15E Strike Eagle which came out in 2000.
It will be OOB since this kit does not require any aftermarket stuff to build into a very nice Eagle.
In this re-boxing they have added some new parts in the form of missiles and bombs. Also the decals seem new (sheet says 2014).

Image

So, why do I love the F-15? Well I mean just look at it!! Its a Beautiful Aircraft and a fully loaded Eagle is badass!
Its one of the best military Aircraft to ever take to the sky. Its been in service since 1976! and the latest versions still dominate every airspace it enters. The latest version, the F-15K Slam Eagle in service with ROKAF is an awesome machine. (Academy kit soon in my stash) There is also an F-15SE Silent Eagle with some stealth capabilities on the drawing board, just hope it will become a reality in the future.

The real badass thing! (just love Gunship Grey)
Image

Image
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by Gav0909 »

Should be good. I built Academies F15-E recently, and whilst not the best kit, I was generally pleased with the final model. The decals in that kit let it down, but the Revell ones should be fine. Will be interesting to see how this kit goes together.

Looking forward to it.
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Ok then lets get going...

The box is of Revells new CRAPPY type where they just stuff and cram everything in a flimsy box that opens from the side.
But I guess they have to cut back somewhere. :doh:
In there is a whole lot of plastic for 25£/€!
Image

The decals look very nice and You get two options.
Image

This is actually the first time that poor QC has worked in my favour, thanks a lot Revell dudes in China for packing one extra upper fuse!! :thumb2:
Image

Will not go through the whole kit since its been around for 14 years now, just the new stuff, as in the ordnance.
You get AN/AAQ-13 Nav pod, AN-AAQ-14 Targeting pod, GBU-15 TV/IR guided bombs, GBU 10 Laser guided bombs, AIM-120B AMRAAMs, AIM-9L Sidewinders.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image[/URL]
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Starting the build...

Sub asseblies for the office taken of the sprues to be cleaned up.
Image

Beautiful detail in the fornt Wheel bay!
Image

There is NO need for a resin cockpit, the OOB styrene is very nicely detailed.
Image

Image

Image

Dry fit mockup to see what we get, very nice!
Image

Image

Inner intakes, by far the week spot of this kit, the ones in mine was a disaster, not because of the fat ejector pin marks, I can deal with that, but the front ends were thin and crocked, no way to build them straight and make it seamless... :wall:
So after fiddling a bit i have decided to just smack them in and go with FOD covers on.
Image

A Little sad since the fans look really nice.
Image

Built...
Image

And installed...
Image

Cockpit ready for base coat, same for ejection seats.
Image

Left one side wall off for the front Wheel bay to be able to get to and paint and weather the details.
Image

The age of the moulds are showing, big fat flash moulded together with the injection canal. The fuse halves require patience and TLC to be removed and cleaned up safely. One has to work in small steps to finally sand it perfect.
Image

Finally down to a minimum to be sanded and polished.
Image

Fuse halves needs lots of dry fitting and testing, then careful glueing in sections. I glued one half first and let cure, then the other.
Under parts of wings also on in pics. There are some unavoidable gaps no matter how hard You try, but nothing major.
Fit in critical places was however good.
Image

Image

Front office base coated and ready for next stage.
Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by Hillbilly »

Looks like a great start :thumb1: And I'm with you,I love the looks of an F-15 in dark grey.
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
grover
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by grover »

Ive got the pre-bomb loadout version of this im slowly preparing so I'll be watching your build :)
Kane "grover" Milne - Auckland, New Zealand
"I ate all the pies. They were awesome!"
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Small update, wings completed and tail fins on.
Tomorrow filling and sanding...

Image

Image

Cant even imagine this baby in 1/32...its a beast already in 1/48! :tongue:

Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by chief5437 »

That cockpit looks like it's got some nice detail, especially oob. Good luck with the rest of it mate!
Chief
User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by DBMiller »

You really get a load of weapons with this kit!
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
User avatar
Tarasdad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:56 am
Location: California City, California
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by Tarasdad »

Great work so far! I built this kit (sans ordinance) a while back. Builds into a really nice model. I agree that they could do a lot better with the sprue attachment points on the wings, nearly impossible to get them off without leaving divots in the leading and trailing edges. The junction of the nose and main fuselage is also a bit of a bear to make look good, so be prepared.
Tarasdad
aka Barry
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Great looking cockpit for Revell kit....I guess they upped their game with this one?! :) :thumb1: :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
EagleOnyx
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by EagleOnyx »

I love that kit! The F-15 is a massive fighter, I was shocked the first time I saw one in person.
Aircraft on the Sortie list: (what I'm working on now)

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter and building a Huge Glass Display case
User avatar
SyntaxModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by SyntaxModels »

:jd:

Amaaaaaaazing OOB styrene detail there! Simply beautiful. I'm sure you'll make a monster of this kit mate! (a good monster that is, a very big fearsome looking one I'm sure!) Watching closely for more :pop:
- Leo

My Motto: "Eh, that'll do, wait a minute, this is my model I can do whatever the hell I want with it! Yes that's a good excuse!"

Visit my YouTube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKvbyv ... DwSd88cMYg
User avatar
SgtSaboo
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:49 pm
Location: Hanover, PA
Contact:

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by SgtSaboo »

Can't wait to see it built. I've had the kit in my hand a few times.
Mike
-Items can be managed, people need to be led!
http://www.youtube.com/sgtsaboo
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Ok, how do I get from this, to that!? :scratch:: :think:
:lol:
Image

Some filler needed here and there...
Image
Image
Image

Only Place that needed some major filler on both sides.
Image

Also started to detail the cockpit, just brush painted on the black as step one.
Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
SyntaxModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by SyntaxModels »

Watching for more stunning work mate :pop:
- Leo

My Motto: "Eh, that'll do, wait a minute, this is my model I can do whatever the hell I want with it! Yes that's a good excuse!"

Visit my YouTube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKvbyv ... DwSd88cMYg
User avatar
CBBC34
Private
Private
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by CBBC34 »

Nice mudhen your doing great, this is an old kit the first release was a monogram pro modeller version it is a shame as the F-15E dose not use the ordinance supplied anymore. Much of the ordinance used today is the smart weapons but this is the best kit in its scale by far.

Clive
User avatar
ltsmash
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:27 am
Location: Naperville, IL (occassionally)

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by ltsmash »

Great build thread, so far. I enjoy watching the rest.
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Thanks dudes and mates!

Ok, with Christmas out of the way, lets continue.

I love the profile of the Eagle so will have canopy closed and airbrake in. Im actually contenplating an in flight build...but will probably save that for the Slam Eagle.
So closed canopy and I wont go to Town on the cockpit. But since modern cockpits are dominated by LCDs I wanted to experiment on how to recreate the black/green look when turned off. (latest color displays are just black)
Ended up with a mix seen below. The result is barely visible with a green tint to the black. Will also add some kristal klear on top for glass.
Image

Image

Image

Revell wants you (as usual) to add all sorts of parts sticking out left and right, also in the early phases...when You dont want them there!
Tip: If Your new to modelling, beware!! Read the whole manual back to back, and think it through. As in plan Your build and Think about what You need to do in each phase. Dont just follow Revells instructions step by step or youll find yourself in all sorts of trouble.
Below an example of stupid engeneering, where You cannot complete the front bay without part 25 (middle of pic). If you glue it in as is, the hatch will be on and i can guarantee You will break it off. Gear, hatches and weapons go on last.
I cut this part in two by the end of the hinges. This way You can build the bay and add the hatch later.

Image

Cockpit done and glued (minus seats, will be glued later since they will be in the way)
Paint, some washes and some light dry brushing I think it will be good enough to look at through the canopy.

Image

Image

Time to turn it over and finish the bay, started with a coat of XF-1 neat.
Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Next up some detail paint and wash in the front Wheel bay.

Image

Added some nose weight (lead fishing weights) with 5min epoxy.

Image

Tub completed.

Image

The fit in the fuse is..ok. Need to glue it step by step since back/turtle deck part dont line up against cockpit part.
Started to glue the front, will let cure then continue.

Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
Goose
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Liège Belgium
Belgium

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by Goose »

Very nice job,
hope that your weight won t be too much for your front leg.

i stay tuned for the end of your build

Goose
Bruno

Finished models:
Hawker Hurricane Hasegawa 1/72, P-47D Academy 1/72, Scimitar AFV 1/35, Me 109-E3-1/48 Airfix

on the bench:
F-15DJ Hasegawa-1/48 japanese Agressor 2010 scheme (long term project)
F-16 solo turkish Revel-1/72
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Mmm was thinking of that also.
Well see, might need reinforcement.
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Ok, nothing exiting going on right now. To me this is the "bite the bullet and fight on" phase of a build.
The phase between the cockpit and the painting and weathering... :lol:

Spent the evening going through the fuselage. Sanding, some minor filling, more sanding, polishing...well the final result is the sum of all steps so.
In the meantime I started glueing the nose section, starting at the front lining things up (sanding and re-scribing the underside will be a nightmare so choose to line that side up best) then back part. Now curing and last will be the turtle deck section. Will dry fit with fuse first.

Image

Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Finally closed the cockpit section. The turtle deck part is a pain in the...Think I got it decently aligned.
Also a quick dry fit with the fuse reveals not the best fit, will be next thing to tackle.

Image

The left part of the turtle deck was out of alignment, plastic not correct in shape. No where to clamp, tape or Place rubber band.
Had to hold it until cured... :wall:

Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Finally... :wtf:
The fit (on the kit I got ) was really bad cockpit to fuse.
After an evenings tweaking, sanding, dry fitting and filling, its "kind of on".
If this is the "best 1/48 F-15E" out there as many say, Im glad I skipped the Academy kit...
Ok, so a bad fit can be fixed no prob right.
Challenge here is that the join is in a really bad place. You cant get to some places (sides) and on the topside there is detail that is impossible to restore.
So one has to use a minimum of filler and sand extremely carefully. I worked in steps, filler, sand, check, filler....
Not happy with the result but its ok now. Next step is final touches on the nose section seamlines, might need some mr surfacer or melted styrene. Then some re-scribing here and there.

This is how she stands now.

Image

Image

Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by Nige201980 »

That cockpit is stunning mate. Great work so far
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Thanks Nige!

Some inspiration! :tongue:

[youtube]Ra4OXAog5KM[/youtube]
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Happy New Year everyone! :cheers2:

Ok, since i will build the canopy closed Im starting on it now.
First out to try and fix the (not so) clear parts.
Starting with removing the seamline.
Fresh blade, protect the areas on the sides and gently scrape away.
You know when your done and seamline gone when it squeaks! :)

Image

Image

When it squeaks, stop! Or you might create a flat spot...from here its sanding and polishing. To remove the damage done and to get an as god as it gets finish. Here is what I use for the job. (and latex gloves, from here on no touching without gloves.)
Good clear parts only require polishing sanders or compounds, this one does not belong to that category.
Image

First gently sand away the scratches, a super fine grit that is worn is perfect.
Image

The I polish with the sponge until i dont get any further, below after the "rough (blue) side".

Image

The I use the polishing compounds, several times if needed, in this case two each.

Image

Here is the result, impossible to get it crystal clear due to the poor moulding but I guess its ok.

Image

Image

Seamlines on nose section needed some 500.
Image

After sanding and polishing the seamlines are gone.
Image

Image

Next canopy frame, needs some work to get a good fit. Have marked in black where I had to sand away detail/material. (underside which will not be seen)
Image

With some minor holding down it now has a snug fit, next some paint and then glue it in place.

Image

Also glued on the intake covers and the middle part in the front of the canopy. Starting to look more and more Eagle like.

Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by TommyKillander »

Nice trick with the "squeak" when fixing the canopy :)

Awesome build of the epic fighter/strike aircraft. The Revell kit seems to be a challenge, though...
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

TommyKillander wrote:Nice trick with the "squeak" when fixing the canopy :)

Awesome build of the epic fighter/strike aircraft. The Revell kit seems to be a challenge, though...
Thanks, well in my experience its just a normal Revell kit! E.g. a mix of heaven and hell all thrown into a bag... :D

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Went over all the joints and decided I was not happy with the neck. So in addition it got some "melted styrene" treatment.
Image

After sanding and polishing its now much better, again well seé with paint on.
Revell have been so kind to leave 2-3mm from joint to vent detail...You have to sand extremely careful.
Image

Next I glued on the strike eagles side panels. Pfeeew... :bash:
These parts are very poorly moulded, the mould is clearly showing its age here...needs a lot of TLC!
Also helps a lot if you have big hands and long fingers to hold with when gluing. :D
Image

Image

Image

Starting to look like a Strike Eagle! :cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
gazmat
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: UK
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by gazmat »

Bizarrely Im building the Revell/Monogram version at the moment...and your about a day in front of me, looks like your having the same problems as me, especially with the front end mounting the main fuselage...as you say, nice for Revell to leave you that grill about 2/3mm away from the join :-(....this is only my second build, since I started again.
Going to look forward to watching this....great work so far.

Just out of interest, what color are you painting it?...
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Cool!
Im hoping to het mine ready for primer tomorrow.
(Primer arrives, hopefully, in the mail Monday, will try Mig Ammo primer on this one)

Most Strike Eagles are painted in Gunship Grey. Fantastic color if you ask me, very beautiful shade of grey. Looks Everything from light grey to very dark bluish grey depending on light conditions.
My paints of choice are Gunze acrylics. Nothing comes Close in my book...well Tamiya acrylics do actually and are my second choice.
Gunship grey is available from several brands.
In the Gunze range its H305, Grey FS 36118 (what I will most likely use) This FS 36118 = Medium Gunship Grey.
Best Tamiya match is XF24 Dark Grey (what I might use), slightly more towards Dark Gunship Grey = FS 36081
(What I Think some newer Eagles are painted in, like the F-15K Slam Eagle)

Here is our baby painted in XF-24
http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=co ... ew&id=1866

Remember, since Gunship Grey can look so different depending on light, You have a good "artistic license" when selecting paint. :th:

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
gazmat
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: UK
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by gazmat »

Yes, that what I was thinking, Tamiya XF24, or the Gunze H305...collected a few jars of each lately.
Good to hear you have artistic licence as well...thought that may of just been me. :-)
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Moving on...

Fixed the joints of the side panels.
Image

Prepping the FOD covers so they have a nice drop in fit. Not to force them in when intakes are painted.
Image

Time to paint the last cockpit parts. Just some XF-1.
Image

Also changed to a new 0,2 needle and nozzle in my Evo, old needle is a little bent.
Image

Image

Image

Also checked the seams and other critical areas and was happy with all of them.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Some wash, will take most away, just to create a worn and dusty look. Also Went over with silver artist pen. (Karisma color)
Image

Image

Frame glued, seats glued, HUD in Place
Image

Started on the exhaust which like the cockpit has very nice OOB detail.
Image

Feathers have injector pin marks, but the inner will not be seen, outer got a drop of melted styrene and will be sanded down.
Image

Canopy glued and drying (Krystal Klear).
Image


:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
EagleOnyx
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by EagleOnyx »

It's looking very nice!
Aircraft on the Sortie list: (what I'm working on now)

Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter and building a Huge Glass Display case
User avatar
SyntaxModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by SyntaxModels »

Looking good mate :thumb1:
- Leo

My Motto: "Eh, that'll do, wait a minute, this is my model I can do whatever the hell I want with it! Yes that's a good excuse!"

Visit my YouTube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKvbyv ... DwSd88cMYg
1001kjk
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:42 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by 1001kjk »

Stunning
It's not the number of times you get knocked down but how many times you get back up
User avatar
Tarasdad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:56 am
Location: California City, California
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by Tarasdad »

Told ya that seam where the cockpit section joins the fuselage is a bear! Conformal fuel tanks too!
Tarasdad
aka Barry
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Thanks guys....so far...we are a long way from home! ;)
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Tarasdad wrote:Told ya that seam where the cockpit section joins the fuselage is a bear! Conformal fuel tanks too!
Yes...In my book a case of very very poor engeneering.
Have checked the Academy and Hasegawa kits and they have the (in my book) correct solution with the joint further forward where you can get to it easily.
But the Revell solution means fewer parts...cheaper to manufacture...
Oh well, some extra work but turned out ok.
The Revell kit is the most accurate according to the rivet counters in the World. And it has beautiful detail all over.
I love the F-15 and WILL fight and conquer this kit! :pistols: :D

:cheers2: :cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Btw

Will try out new stuff (to me) on this baby.
The Mig Ammo primer which seems very promising. A water based polymer primer that is easy to use and with great results.
Will also try the Rubber color just to get the feel for Mig Ammo paint, and their gloss varnish.
Image

And these are the colors im thinking of using.
H305 is Medium Gunship Grey, H301 is Dark Gunship Grey and XF24 is somewhere in between.
Image


:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
azsam
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Arizona
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by azsam »

Looking good! I just finished this kit, first one done after about 15 years away! :crazy: I'm glad you chose to not attach the front landing gear and door, I did and broke it about 3 times. Seems to be holding up OK, but it is very fragile. I'll have to post some pictures of how mine came out, and I can't wait to see your completed! By the way, all the hassle with the poor fitting parts is worth it in the end! :thumb2:
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

azsam wrote:Looking good! I just finished this kit, first one done after about 15 years away! :crazy: I'm glad you chose to not attach the front landing gear and door, I did and broke it about 3 times. Seems to be holding up OK, but it is very fragile. I'll have to post some pictures of how mine came out, and I can't wait to see your completed! By the way, all the hassle with the poor fitting parts is worth it in the end! :thumb2:
Yes, I never attach anything sticking out when working on the model itself...for this reason, it will break in handling! :bash: :D
I didnt like the Three fins that are moulded either, so far only managed to brake of one... :wall:
I would really like to see it!!
:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Sorry for the paus...
1. Waiting for masks
2. Want to get the Viggen cockpit done
Then the Eagle will fly on! :th:

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
azsam
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:09 pm
Location: Arizona
United States of America

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by azsam »

patrickroos wrote:
azsam wrote:Looking good! I just finished this kit, first one done after about 15 years away! :crazy: I'm glad you chose to not attach the front landing gear and door, I did and broke it about 3 times. Seems to be holding up OK, but it is very fragile. I'll have to post some pictures of how mine came out, and I can't wait to see your completed! By the way, all the hassle with the poor fitting parts is worth it in the end! :thumb2:
Yes, I never attach anything sticking out when working on the model itself...for this reason, it will break in handling! :bash: :D
I didnt like the Three fins that are moulded either, so far only managed to brake of one... :wall:
I would really like to see it!!
:cheers2:

So I'm not sure if you saw it yet, but I posted some pictures of my finished build here www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10718. I'm sure you're will come out great, it looks great already! :th:
gazmat
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: UK
Great Britain

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by gazmat »

Not sure if you have come across this Patrickroos http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f- ... _all.shtml , Love the virtual cockpit part. Still plugging away with mine, all primered up, waiting for some cockpit masks to turn up, decided to go the lighter Grey now with mine. I used the AK primer, well pleased.
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

gazmat wrote:Not sure if you have come across this Patrickroos http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f- ... _all.shtml , Love the virtual cockpit part. Still plugging away with mine, all primered up, waiting for some cockpit masks to turn up, decided to go the lighter Grey now with mine. I used the AK primer, well pleased.
Yes I have seen it! :th:
Cybermodeller is great.
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by patrickroos »

Masking done...
Used the Eduard masks and be aware, they do not fit!
I guess since this model has been around for a while so have the masks. I Think Eduard have learned some by now.
The pieces are to big so the dont conform to the shape of the canopy.
But if you cut them in the right places they work ok.
Image

Re-scribing, cleaning up and also enhancing some panel lines that were a little weak.
Image

Canopy "insides" sprayed black. Also final check of all critical areas.
This revealed some minor defects that I will go back and fix.
Image

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
SyntaxModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 538
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Revell 1/48 F-15E with bombs -OOB

Post by SyntaxModels »

Looking good!!
- Leo

My Motto: "Eh, that'll do, wait a minute, this is my model I can do whatever the hell I want with it! Yes that's a good excuse!"

Visit my YouTube Channel!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKvbyv ... DwSd88cMYg
Post Reply

Return to “Jet Aircraft”