Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post Reply
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by rodrant »

Hi guys ...


I'm back !!! This will be my fourth entry in this SiG ...well two months to go , a lot of kits of Japanese planes in the stash ...I was thinking of building a zero , but I was looking and decide to do this one :

The Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Image

About the Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 (As in Tamiya site)

The MitsubishiG4M "Isshikirikko", or the type 1 land-based attack bomber, was built to a "range-at-all-cost" specification. In order to compensate for the inferior fleet strength restricted by the London and Washington Treaties, the Imperial Japanese Navy intended to support their naval operations from shore based aircraft.

Bombers with an extremely long range were in dire need for such missions, and this could be achieved by designing the entire wing as integral fuel tanks ad keeping the structure as light as possible, without and armor or self-sealing protection. Defensive weapons and armor protection for the crew were also kept to a minimum. To reduce the drag, bombs or torpedo were stored within a thick, cigar-like fuselage. The thin, wide wing contributed to obtain an excellent stability and maneuverability during flight. Using two 1530hp Mitsubishi "Kasei" type-11 radial engines, the G4M achieved a maximum speed of more than 420Km/h and an outstanding 4,200km or range. However, the 5,000 liters of fuel in the unprotected tanks made the bomber extremely vulnerable, and it soon became known to U.S. gunners as the "one-shot lighter."

With several improvements incorporated, the Isshiki Rikko stable served throughout the pacific War. Including all variants, more than 2,400 units were produced. It was part of the force which sank the British battleship HMS Prince of Wales and battle cruiser HMS Repulse at the beginning of the conflict. In 1945, it was also used in carrying the Japanese surrender delegation to end the war.

Well for first introduction that's it for today , then will show the sprues after , this is a Big one ...

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by rodrant »

So , let's see the sprues still bagged :

Box contents :

Instructions and separate sheet with color schemes :

Image

Engines , payload (you can have bombos or a torpedo ) and other pieces :

Image

Clear parts (Big as all the plane ...)

Fuselage , you can see the size comparing to the Tamiya A3 Modeling matt

Wings and cockpit

Image

More wings parts and some of the cockpit/interior fuselage , I think ...

Image

Decals , typically Tamiya , very glossy...

Image

The color scheme that I will use , it is the one that make the attack on the HMS Battleship Prince of Wales and HMS Cruiser Repulse in the beginning of the Pacific war ,

Kanoya Naval Fighter group , flown by Lt Hanuki Iki
Malaya, Indo-China, December 1941

Image

Image

Colors to use :

Image

And will start today doing this beast ...
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
UKguyInUSA
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm
Location: New Hampshire, USA formerly Palm Beach, Florida, USA and Leicestershire, UK (until 1999)
Contact:

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by UKguyInUSA »

Looks like a cool kit by Tamiya, enjoy building her! :) :thumb1:
WIP:: Tamiya 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair

Non-WIP::Eduard 1/48 Fokker DVII, Revell 1/32 Arado AR196 and 1/32 BF109G10 Erla,
User avatar
Aliktren
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Location: Dorset, United Kingdom
Contact:
Mauritius

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by Aliktren »

nice looking kit, looking forward to seeing this come together :)
stuff is being built... very slowly....
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by rwsmith14 »

Your Rockin & Rollin" Antonio !! :cheers2:
Image
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by rodrant »

So , done some work on it , this month is very busy for me, last week two days in Spain , this week four days crossing Portugal to the south to Algarve ...not too much time to do our favourite hobby , but quite make some progress on this BIG ( i mean it is really BIG! ) Plane . Where I will place it in the end , should be another story ...maybe hanging on the celling like when I was a kid :lol:

Weel First done , the cockpit , and this is a complete house , two bedrooms , resting room , kitchen , a man's cave , all could fit in this ...

Image

Image

Image

Image

First look at the cockpit

Two figures , the kit brings three , the other one is the tail gunner that handles a 20 mm cannon ...

Image

Image

The two pilots , all painted with tamiya XF52 Falt Earth , XF64 for the boots and gloves , use Tamiya XF57 Buff to the life jacket , the seat belts were painted XF-58 Olive Green , all interior is painted using XF22 RLM Grey

Image

It is a nice cockpit , the instruments panel is a decal , that fixed nicely

Image

Uhhhh , my eyes :

Image

Added the kitchen ...

Image

Full lenght cockpit done , make some dry brush using XF16 Flat aluinium , and make some washing using tamiya Pannel Accent Line

Image

Image

Already placed the bottom of the cockpit with the radio and bombimg sights

Image

Image

Image

Painted some Japanese flags on their arms ...

Image~

Image

Next the hull ...

I usually paint the interiors y brush , but this is BIG , so off we go to use the airbrush

Image

Image

And fix it to the cockpit

Image

Image

Some not so nice fit , but should be my fault , it is a big plane really lack some clamps that could do a good job in such large fuselage

next wings and engines

Image

Image

Engine nacelles , already airbrushed the interior also

Image

Now that is all for these days , I should only be able now to get more wotrk next Friday , but seems that I can manage to finish this one as not too many things to do next , but are hard to do ....clear parts with masking ....and I hould place them and paint after , as it is a camo color scheme , and has a lot of detail ...will show you in next update , see ya !
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
shortCummins
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Cotgrave, Nottingham
Great Britain

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by shortCummins »

that looks huge, nice cockpit :thumb2:
"I'm tall for my height" - "it looks like it was painted by a blind chimpanzee"
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by rodrant »

shortCummins wrote:that looks huge, nice cockpit :thumb2:
It is huge ...I'm just imagining to build a B-25 in same scale or a Lancaster , I would like to build them , let's see if I can manage to go and finish this one , honestly and it isn't nothin wrong with the kit , I now lost the Mojo on this one ...but will try to finish it off in order to start new projects and even would like to start my entry in the Navy Plane Sig , must finish this off ...

Thank you for your comment !

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by rodrant »

Long time sinvce I made an update on this ...th reason is Too much work ( the work , work not the hobby one ;) ) and some Eastr hollidays away from the Workbench , also when I come back I totally lost the interest in this build ...really do not know why , and thought that this doesn't happen to me ..but then I buid some more stuff , like a figure and the EggShip just to keep me away from this , and now I'm willing to finish it off asap ...too much masking in the canopy and gunners and bombers frames , it is really a nightmare ans something that honestly I do not like at all to do ...give me some Eduard MAsks and I will build every plane ...on this I went for the maskol solution , and really I guess I make the wrong decision here ...let's see how it goes from now , but I'm stuck with this BIG bird in my bench and willing to finish it ...or not ...must begin my NAvy SiG participation , and this is getting on the way ...welll more updates on this ..

To try to gain motivation I do the rear gunner ...

Image

now this guy should have a lot of cold back there , the frame was open , maybe the Betty Bomber doesn't have a High ceiling ...don't rlly know , but this guys ...and notice the gun , not very perfect , but this was a 20 mm Cannon , not a MG ...

Image

Wings and engine nacelles to do ...already make some paint on the interior of the Engine naceles on last update , now to get wings and egines doen and attached to th fusellage

Image

Now the fusellage have this supports so that the wings fit with the fuselage properly , it is a nice idea , and could limit the gap issues that happen in soem builds ...

Image

The rear gunner on the place ....

Image

Must join the wings now

Image

Image



Done no issues , and neither the make and joining of the engine nacelles to the wings , here a photo comparing the Zero ( well it is a 1/72 ) with the Big Brother , it is huge !

Image

Image



Now some mistake from my side ...when I was removing one of the wings from the srue , I cut a piece of plastic when removing the plastic excess ... :bash:


Image

Try to mask the best I could and put some primer in it just before I do another check fro more imperfections ...

Image

Some Putty to be placed , all because of some mistakes I make , the kit is quite good in my opinion

Image

Some mask for painting the black anti glare on both engines , not an easy one to do , should have painted them before attach the wings , now must go ahead with it

Image

As I'm going to use the torpedoe , I must make some cut on the bay bomb doors , seems that with the torpedor this goes open , and it is logic , so time to cut some plastic :

Image

Image

Done , now to use some sanding sponge and clean better the cutting rebar ..

Image
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Mitsubishi Isshikirikko Type 11 Tamiya 1/48

Post by rodrant »

Last post of the thread , and really sorry but I just finish this plane with n more photos , even I thought that I wouldn't finish it , and will be one to get dust on the shelf , but I manage to finish it ...will post a reveal thread , but not my best build since I come back to the hobby ...not at all ... :x

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”