Possible Tips & Tricks

Post Reply
User avatar
Baardmans
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:56 am
Location: Den Helder, The Netherlands

Possible Tips & Tricks

Post by Baardmans »

One of the things I read the most on scale modeling oriented sites are tips and tricks.
Here are some of mine.
Most are probably already known and it is just a coincident my brain came up with it.

Colad Foam sanding pads ( or equivalent)
http://www.emm.com/products/foam-sanding-pads/ (example)
I love this stuff, Tamiya has also something like this but this is much bigger and cheaper.
And you can cut it in any shape and size. I stuck a thin long piece on a chopstick for example.

For a simple bottle shaker just hold your paint bottle against the side of the vibrating pad from a electric sander.
I use a palm model for it.

You can get pigments in art stores, they are available in many colors and are a lot cheaper.
I got 100 grams for about 4 euro/ 5 dollar. ( a jar of baby food).
And while you are there get the budget odorless turpentine, acrylic flow aid and acrylic retarder and some brushes.
There is also graphite in all shapes and sizes.

You know those green hard foam things they put Christmas decorations in?
If you can get them in blocks they are very handy to put your parts in after spraying.
And they do not leave those annoying white things when you use expanded polystyrene. (piepschuim).
Oh and don't wet them to make them heavier, you get fungus. I did not know meat skewers can become mushrooms. :oops:

You can get daylight versions for most lamp types (E14 -E27 -TL) it helps allot with the colors.

Range hoods (afzuigkapen) are easily converted to paint fumes extractor, box around it and your done. Just use one with enough suction.

This is all I could think of, when I find other things I will post again.

Cheers, Bert
Bert

On, under and beside the old dining table.
Waiting for the Eye Spy SiG kit to arrive.
Trumpeter 1:350 Prinz Eugen.
Arii Yamato 1:250.
Post Reply

Return to “How To Guides + Tips & Tricks”