'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post Reply
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

Hi, so back from Hollidays and my idea for this GB :

I will have the next :

The Tamiya M1A2 SEP Abrams Tusk in 1/35

Image

The Academy M1151 Enhanced Armament Carrier (Humvee) in 1/35

Image

A Verlinden Resin TV crew , Tamiya US Modern Infantry set , Tamiya Modern US military equipment set , a Reality in Scale Midle East Resin Shop , some more stuff to depict the Window reflection glass for the Humvee , some atenas set , still waiting for some stuff to arrive , a set of lens for the Humvee , some Iraq Road signs .

Image

The idea is to represent a scene from Iraq , and what the modern wars are about ...you see it live on TV , so the TV crew set ... now , I do not know much on the time frame in what both vehicles were used, assume that both were used at same time ,will be my 2nd modern AFV's build , so let's see how it will go and gain I was very optimistic in my idea , a lot to do and a lot of new stuff and research to do , already looked at the camo of the US Army uniforms and will be great to paint them :-)

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
sith1144
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 5:17 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by sith1144 »

Nice idea, good luck with the build!
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rwsmith14 »

Cool Idea !!
Image
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by DC87 »

Can't wait. is the shutter/ garage door pose-able?
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

DC87 wrote:Can't wait. is the shutter/ garage door pose-able?
No mate , this is closed , but is a nice resin set , :-)

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

My firt update on this build , and will start by the Abrams ,

The Box , full of plastic and other stuff :-)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I start on the tank some weeks ago ...bottom hull , wheels ...

Image

And this was fast , as Tamiya kits are very easy to follow and build

I see the lack of the AntiSkid paint , should use later some of the MiG stuff , I use it already in another Modern AFV build

The turret was finished in some hours spent at the bench during weekend

Image

Yesterday I add the extra armor , I have a lot of doubts on how to paint this beast ...think will go easy on this , it is a strange build , and I' not getting that much photos , maybe a do more of the Humvee , as a lot of builds on this tanks are already in the forum ! I was just checking one made by Timtangtung ( I think , sorry if i misepell you mate ! ) and a great help it is , even for doing the anti-skid paint :th: , my paint will be an easy one on this and I will use Spray from Tamiya , not airbrush , will do after some washing and drybrushing , a different technique but will try it here , not very fond of the Modern armor I must say , but it is going ...I now try all the stuff and see how it fits, as this tank is a beast !!!

Image

I took the Hummer from the box just to see if it fits the diorama ...I should get a yellow card for it , I can show all the sprues are intact , ooops :wtf:

I only have this wooden base , as I can't find anything smaller , it will be crowded with the figures , let's see how ...

Hope you like , it is a different thread and build ,as I'm not taking that much photos , i will keep working on it as now I'm getting interested in getting this finished !

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by Coen »

I like the layout Antonio, but like you said, if you leave it like it is and add the hummer it will look really crowded. Especially with figures.
I'm not saying that would be inaccurate, I've seen a few videos and photos of vehicles parked and a lot of service men standing around them.
It just wouldn't be very visually appealing.

I have the M2 and an M1 on my diorama base and I had to expand it to 2 feet long to make it look believable for vehicles in a convoy.
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

Coen wrote:I like the layout Antonio, but like you said, if you leave it like it is and add the hummer it will look really crowded. Especially with figures.
I'm not saying that would be inaccurate, I've seen a few videos and photos of vehicles parked and a lot of service men standing around them.
It just wouldn't be very visually appealing.

I have the M2 and an M1 on my diorama base and I had to expand it to 2 feet long to make it look believable for vehicles in a convoy.
I see your point Michael and understand you perfectly , my idea in the dio will be to depict a news crew and some US Army , I think ...and really I start to thinking on a new layout just using the Abrams , Infantry figures and the news crew , will be a more 'open' and appealing dio , if not really will be crowded and i will be too heavy in terms of layout .

keeping it simple think will be a good idea , then I could make another build just with the Humvee :-)

Yes modelling is fun !!! :banana:

thank you for the comment mate

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by chief5437 »

Nice choice, I always like your dioramas, I look forward to seeing this one as well. Good luck buddy! :th: :th:
Chief
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

chief5437 wrote:Nice choice, I always like your dioramas, I look forward to seeing this one as well. Good luck buddy! :th: :th:
Thank you Chief ! Glad to see you around :th:

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

Another update , well it is more what i've done since the last one , a lot of stuff to do and some 'not modelling' stuff to do , but now I get the sufficient time in order to go and try to finish this build,not that I like a lot the modern AFV's , but for sure they are impressive stuff ...

Just for fun ( and I really do not know if exact porportions are right , I place the abrams next to the Sherman that I buid some time ago ...and man , what a difference ! The turret of the abrams is the size of the old Sherman:-)

Image

Image

Since last time where I have almost the hull completed , I Add the mesh ( the plastic one that come with the kit ...) and make the stowage baskets for the turret

Image

Added the aditional armor , so it will be a Tusk II that I will build !

The all Hull was now Painted with Tamiya TS-46 Light Sand Yellow , not too much of a difference between it and the original plastic color :-)

Image

Also I painted the small plastic sheet that the kit offers, Tamiya instructions mention that all periscope lenses are to be X-23 Clear Blue , well I guess for some pictures that not all are Blue some are red , some are a sort of yellow , I keep the instructions , so blue it is :scratch::

Also I airbrushed the Rubber tracks with a XF-64 Red Brown Base

Image

Image

Then on the tracks , some dry brush with XF-84 Dark Iron

Image

Image

And then Rubber Black XF-85 in the little rubber plates of the Tracks

Image

After some dry brush again , this time on th rubber plates using some ~XF-66 Light Grey

Image

Image

Image

Start to placing the Periscope lenses , in Driver hatch and Loader Hatch

Image

Image

Also in commander cupola

Image

Shield and 7.62 mm MG of the Loader cupola

Image

Image

Both MG's ready to palce in the turret , the Commander's MG is a 12.7 mm Browning MG , nice , the ammo belts were painted with MEttalic Brass color from Mr.Hobby

Image


And the beast is ready , the lense in the CCTV display was painted with X-19 smoke as of the intructions , and I think that this could be changed with more investigation and for the real experts in modern aFV's for sure this is a Big mistake , but also I think that easy to solve, I'm doing it OOB build so like this it is !

I start with the base now , Wondering what to do to depict the asphalt , so I go to use some cork surface, , then will prime it and paint in Black , think will depict well enough the asphalt !

Image

Also start weathering the tank , first panel lins and rivets using Tamiya Brown Panel Paint , then will use some dry brushing using XF-59 and XF-2 diluted and work o some panels !

Here is the turret :

Image

Now figures ,tank and us infantry , the building and diorama accessories , but still some stuff to do ...

Hope you liked so far !

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Pacheco
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:12 pm
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by Pacheco »

Big task! Looking good from here. :thumb1:
VISIT THE AZORES ISLANDS
http://www.visitazores.com/en
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by Coen »

Love it love it love it.

Cool comparison with the sherman too.
generalgrog
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 330
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:19 am
Location: Baltimore, MD. U.S.A.
United States of America

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by generalgrog »

Coen, thanks for building this for us. This kit is on my bucket list, been wanting to build one for a while now, and I am so glad you are doing this. will watch with interest !

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

GG
User avatar
Aliktren
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:49 pm
Location: Dorset, United Kingdom
Contact:
Mauritius

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by Aliktren »

looks great Antonio :th:
stuff is being built... very slowly....
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by Gav0909 »

Coming on nicely there. I have built this kit and it was a joy to build. Good luck!
User avatar
ManCupboardModels
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: Grimsby, NE Lincs, UK
Contact:

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by ManCupboardModels »

What a beast! Looking great and cool idea for the dio! :th:
All the best, Karl

Currently bodging together: This, That and Tuther!

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DaddyCool273 (ManCupboardModels) :pop:
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

Well a new update , this was my weeks work on this build ,

So I weathered the Abrams , not too much ...

Image

Image

Now started with the stowage :

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Also started on the tank crew :

Image

Image

Image

Ration boxes :

Image

Image

Image

The crew primed :

Image

behind , all the stowage that I done for the Abrams

Image

Fit the stowage

Image

Image

Painted the figures , use some sponge to create the digital camo effect ,

Image

Manage to paint a US Flag in their arm :-)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The crew and the tank ready , maybe I will give a wash in the accessories , when finishing the diorama

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Starting in the US Infantry set ...Tamiya kit , figures are from MasterBox ...

Image

Image

Also this is the box ofthe Jersey Barriers that I will use in the diorama :

Image

They are made of gesso , but nice effect , pitty that they do not have any metal to place on top for the hooks that this barriers have ...I will not make any I guess ..

Image

Image

The Building , form Reality in scale , in Resin .

Image

Not surprised by the quality , no need to do anything just glue , paint and whether all this

Image

brings some decals , instructions , a air conditioning device for the wall , a sidewalk and the building

Image

Primed it

Image

Image

Image

And this is after painting it and the barriers with the tank to see how everything looks

Image

Image

in my PHoto study :-) ( well actually a white cartoon can make the difference in the photos ) , still no proper light , working in progress on that :-)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Figures of US Infabtry already Primed and first base color , the guns were tried to see how they fitted and to make some final alignments in their arms , not easy this step.

Image

The guys painted now , with sponge technique again , iked more the result in the tank crew than in this guys ... :roll:

Image

Flash !!!

Image

Now must do this ones ...Verlinden resin set of News crew Iraq/afghanistan :

Image

All bagged

Image

No instructions :ooops:

Image

see ya next week finishing this news crew with no instructions :-)

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by TheTroyster »

Wow, that was a lot of stuff you did. I like those boxes.
Troy :violin:
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by rodrant »

Last photo of the updates ...

I make yesterday the weathering on the diorama base , used AK and Vallejo pigments , some washes from AK and consider this one done ! I'm a little tired on this one ... The kit of the tank is just great , I will just use the US Infantry , will not use the News crew ...maybe will use it in some other build , will consider this one finished ...so will post the final reveal photos next ...

Image

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by Coen »

Wonderful work bud!!
That stowage looks fantastic!! And nice work on those figures, this wil be a great looking piece.
User avatar
gaz45
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Nottingham uk
Great Britain

Re: 'Live' from Iraq - 1/35 Diorama

Post by gaz45 »

Nice work there mate
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”