D-7 Tractor

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Hi, just thought to share an in progress project. This is the MiniArt kit with angle dozer blade. Terrific detail but very poor quality plastic. Most if not all the finer parts will shatter when removing them from the sprue :wall: . Have spent a lot of time replacing parts with brass wire or plastic rod. That said parts fit well and the instructions for the most part are good. Lots of parts - 800+ and opti-visor a must if your my age.

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by Coen »

That's a freaking awesome looking piece!!
That detail looks superb. Nice repair work too.
Unfortunately soft wonky plastic is how mini art rolls. :(
That have a lot of interesting subjects, and many of them aren't that bad,mbut they plastic is soapy and flashy.
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

I also really like MiniArt in spite of the poor plastic. Still have that half built Street Trolley to finish but think its one of the best kits I've ever worked on. The figures are not half bad either. So many kits, so little time :)
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Made some progress. One setback was adding the floor plates and managing to snap off a foot pedal and two control levers. Will go back and replace those after everything else is done. I painted all the "insides" as they will be mostly covered later. All the control linkages was a waste since you can't see anything now :(

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

Hi,
I know the mini-art kit looks the part, but I was told by someone more knowledgeable than I that the real d7 looks different to this and that the Mirror model version is more accurate.
Can anyone add to this...true or not....cause I have no idea
This build does look awesome ...wish I was this good.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Nige1940
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: U.K.

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by Nige1940 »

Looks like a superb kit, my have to get myself one of these :think: .
Your doing great job so far, I think it'll actually payoff using brass/copper wire as you have, rather than the plastic parts .
They maybe did you a favour by breaking :pistols: . Superb so far !
User avatar
Nige1940
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: U.K.

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by Nige1940 »

digger303 wrote:Hi,
I know the mini-art kit looks the part, but I was told by someone more knowledgeable than I that the real d7 looks different to this and that the Mirror model version is more accurate.
Can anyone add to this...true or not....cause I have no idea
This build does look awesome ...wish I was this good.
It would be most unlike Miniart to produce a kit that's "very inaccurate" . I would think they have it pretty much nailed . However I'm no expert on these earthmovers/dozers so I would like to hear more myself .
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

I have one the Allied/Axis series books which has a number of pics of the D7 dozer and the kit certainly looks the part which for me is good enough. Can't comment on the quality of Mirror Models as I've never built one before. I will say that the Le Tourneau R7 Power unit on the back does match all the pictures I have of it. Unfortunately my references don't show me how those cables were strung through the pulley system. Did some more work on this last night and some additional seam filling (camera shows everything :( ). Pics to follow. Thanks for the interest and comments on my build.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

The guy wasn't really specific, but I thought it was something about the engine
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

yes It really put me off . As I was going to buy that minart model with the blade
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Some more progress pics. Somewhat following the instruction sequence. I permanently attached the bottom plates but just laid the track plates down for the picture. Almost none of the details on the underside can be seen now. The cable pulley system for the R7 still need to be added. A word of warning if you tackle this kit - the small bits - you only get what the kits calls for, no spares. Have spent lots of time on search & destroy to find parts launched off the table :doh:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Nige1940
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: U.K.

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by Nige1940 »

digger303 wrote:The guy wasn't really specific, but I thought it was something about the engine
,
Ah I see , I'll have to look into that inaccuracies put me off too but it depends how bad they are Vs cool factor of the finished build , for me at least .
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

A few pictures showing the blade assembly and engine hood set in place (nothing glued yet). I made a start on the tracks and they are a nightmare to work on. I'll need to come up with some kind of jig in order to get them together.

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

Nige1940 wrote:
digger303 wrote:The guy wasn't really specific, but I thought it was something about the engine
,
Ah I see , I'll have to look into that inaccuracies put me off too but it depends how bad they are Vs cool factor of the finished build , for me at least .
I have managed to see another modelers build and it seems there is some differences in the engine, specifically the right hand side.
They haven't finished the build yet so I am unable to properly access it. So far the differences are minor to my way of thinking.
It could possibly be a different version of the same engine a simple redesign that is, both could be accurate.

cheers
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Keep up your battle, it is looking good :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

digger303 wrote:
Nige1940 wrote:
digger303 wrote:The guy wasn't really specific, but I thought it was something about the engine
,
Ah I see , I'll have to look into that inaccuracies put me off too but it depends how bad they are Vs cool factor of the finished build , for me at least .
I have managed to see another modelers build and it seems there is some differences in the engine, specifically the right hand side.
They haven't finished the build yet so I am unable to properly access it. So far the differences are minor to my way of thinking.
It could possibly be a different version of the same engine a simple redesign that is, both could be accurate.

cheers[/quote

My references on this are limited but I did just order a book specifically on the D7. There are some closeup details I'm looking for but I'm now curious as to the engine. Since they were also license made by company's other than CAT it is possible they had variations in the engine.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

correction the left side of engine...silly me looking at photo from wrong angle
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Almost ready for the overall base coat, markings and then dirt! Still need to figure out the wiring for the lights and add a couple more control levers and an additional pulley wire on the spade end. Tracks will be the last thing added. I've seen pictures with fabricated gas can racks on the side fender and a rifle holder attached to the overhead beam. May still do those as well.

Image

Image

Image

Image

In the interest of the earlier discussions a couple of closer looks at the kit engine

Image

Image

and another daily distraction- the re-homing of an unwelcome visitor :roll:

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

managed a screen shot... i'm learning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

Not sure if this is useful
http://militaryvehicleweb.com/vehicle/w ... bulldozer/

You are building Brilliantly ....I make this comment with humble intentions.
The right side of engine...This is A DIESEL you have some wires coming out of the injection pump an going over the to left side into the injectors themselves. These should be piping which would have right angle bends and such to follow engine contours and these would travel in parallel with each other.
sorry I am not meaning to be at all critical
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

You are 100% correct. Looking at some other reference pictures now. Not too far gone to make a correction.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

I keep checking your build....I am so impatient....really want to see how it turns out .
cheers
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Finally got around to starting assembly of the tracks - least fun of this build so far. I did get the base coat of color on and clear coat and then decals. They are from the kit and went on pretty well. A bit more carrier film than I care for but with a good gloss coat and Micro_Sol they came out OK. Still debating how to address the engine injection pipes without tearing up the surrounding parts. I may punt and do it right on the next two dozers announced by Mini Art :jd:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

A terrific build.
May I ask what is the cabling made of....it looks nice and taunt.
and has your reference book arrived. Does it shed any light on the engine differences.....just really curious about that now.
I have to get one of these.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
localjedi
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:01 am
Location: Germany
Germany

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by localjedi »

Looking superb already! Now I'm really curious to see the next painting/weathering steps. From what I've read, you seem to have had quite some struggle with the kit. But as some other guy (was it digger?) said earlier: keep up the battle! :thumb1:
Pete

"I love it when a dio comes together..."
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13513
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Yes I did get my reference book and from what I can see the kit engine seems to match most of the photographs I see. I'm sure there were variations. If someone has found something .005mm off in the kit then I really don't care. It looks like a D7 and I think Mini Art has done a great job. I will be ordering their next two dozer releases.
The thread cabling is what was provided in the kit. No fuzz and nice tight weave. The cable is taut because I raised the Dozer blade and let its weight keep the thread taut before gluing the Dozer blade into that position, just slightly raised.

If I have one complaint, it would be the tracks. Very fiddly, fragile plastic. It's taken me three days to assemble 27 of 72 tracks needed. I will be checking to see if Frueil ever does a set and will go that route in the future.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Looks really good :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

[quote="arkbuilder2012"]Yes I did get my reference book and from what I can see the kit engine seems to match most of the photographs I see. I'm sure there were variations. If someone has found something .005mm off in the kit then I really don't care. It looks like a D7 and I think Mini Art has done a great job.

Wasn't the possible small variation in size. I was trying to work out what was the difference in the two (mirror-miniart) engines. left side closest to drivers left foot. Is it some linkage (Wrong word) to a donkey engine where as the other has a starter motor....maybe not ...not sure. Just very curious.
My hat goes off to you..so patient on those tracks..I would have taken up drink !!
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

this Mirror scraper would pair nicely with a D7

http://www.lzmodels.com/135-US-Army-LeT ... raper.html
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

I saw that recently announced. Not cheap but I may have to break down and get one to pair with a D7 Crawler without the push blade.

As to the previous discussion you are right about the different engine types. The Mini Art kit a D7 3T. It has the small aux gasoline starter engine on the left side. It was started with a crank handle that was inserted down through the engine hood. This version began production in 43. The previous version the crank handle was inserted horizontally through the front radiator housing. The 3T was considered an improvement because the driver could start it standing on the tracks and not have to dismount. Interesting to learn that loss of the crank handle rendered the D7 NMC (in Army parlance that was a bad thing :( ) Operators were trained to never lay it down. I'm assuming it was stored in the tool box on the running board.

It wasn't until the 50' when the D7 got an electric starter.

Left track run is done. Pics to follow. Starting clean up of the track parts for the right side. I will confess to being a bit slow when it comes to these things.
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Here are some pics of the kit track assembly. Finally did get one completed. The tracks will be primed and then given a base color before beginning the weathering.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

I can see why tracks took so long.....would have been so frustrating. So much time and so little patience ...thats me.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

I seem to have had a post removed....perhaps it was a copyright thing.I had a picture link
To cut right to it. I am sure the blade had to be removed in order to use the scraper as this was only method via the winch by which anything could be operated and they could only use one at a time.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

One question do the track pins not have a head. what actually in real life kept them in place.They seem to be fairly loose fit on the model.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

The pins roll free on the real thing. The track plates are unbolted which frees up the side plates if that makes sense. On the kit there is much more play on the pins. If it was a tight fit I'd never get them together and have them workable unfortunately. Dirt, grime and some mud will cover a multitude of sins here.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

I think I understand you and the way they work now.
Thanks
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Went for a long run this morning and had an epiphany. What the kit missed is there is a bushing that the pins goes through. Once I set the tracks in place a swipe of 500 surfacer around the hole and pin should nicely represent that.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

Well done !!!
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

I was able to finally finish both track runs. They were given a spray of Tamiya primer grey and then painted with Tamiya Dark German Grey before being attached. I replaced the broken control levers and added the glass sediment collector jar. The last thing to be added will be the exhaust pipe after the D7 is dirtied up a bit.

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

You have made it certainly look the part.
Bravo
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

Can I ask you to check your reference book to see when the dozers were upgraded to hydraulic power.

Thanks
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Sorry for the late reply. I'll check tonight and get back to you.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

thanks, no need to be sorry and no rush.
Thanks
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

The history is kind of convoluted but the short answer is there were hydraulic power blade versions in the early 40'. One reference talks about them being used during the Carolina War Games in 1941 and the problems they had with them. I have photos of them in service but all seem to be 1944 and 1945 time period. Caterpillar made the crawler itself while other companies made the dozer blades and other implements for the most part. RG Letourneau made the mechanical controlled blade like the one depicted in my MiniArt build which is a WCK7. LaPlante-Choate made the hydraulic controlled blades. Based on the box art the next MiniArt kit looks like the LaPlante-Choate R71 angle dozer blade. Both types were in service at the same time.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

I see he say's peering through the mud.
Perhaps they had troubles at the start, fixed them by late war period then they became more accepted.
Interesting, thank you for taking the trouble to find out for me.
Cheers
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by digger303 »

did you finish all the painting and weathering. I have been keeping a look out.
:)
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Sitting on the assembly line. All painted and glossy waiting for me to get off my duff. Been a busy month but hope I'll get some of it done in the next couple of weeks.
User avatar
Nige1940
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:16 pm
Location: U.K.

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by Nige1940 »

You've done a stunning job on it .
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

A long overdue visit with this build. First round of washes, filters and pigments. It will be dirty but not overly so.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
arkbuilder2012
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am

Re: D-7 Tractor

Post by arkbuilder2012 »

Think I'm calling this one done. Debating if I'll do a scenic base or not.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”