Attaching metal rods

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
FugitiveMini
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

Attaching metal rods

Post by FugitiveMini »

I have to attach a brass rod for a in flight design diorama. I used a two part epoxy as recommended and did the hardener/epoxy in equal amounts like it said. But the brass rod would not remotely stay fixed. Not even a little. What glue do I need to attach this puppy?
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by Coen »

If epoxy isn't working... well that's a problem. That's pretty much the strongest stuff that there is.
I have a few ideas but maybe if I saw how you were trying to put them together.
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by alextheblue »

Epoxy is usually the way to go, but there's a couple of things to look out for. The surface being attached needs to be roughed up quite a bit (I know a couple of guys......... :eeek: that's another story!!). Also need to make sure that the surface is super clean as any residual grease will cause problems. Any alcohol based cleaner should do the job (brush cleaner etc.) - failing that neat detergent such as washing-up liquid thoroughly rinsed off.

Hope you get it sorted.
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by Daishi12 »

Also keep an eye on the temperature - 2 part epoxy doesn't like sudden changes in temperature.
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by DC87 »

Are you trying to attach it directly ONTO the model or through a hole - through a hole would be the way to go and create some sort of grip on the inside and outer side to hold it in place:
Image

Hope that helps.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
FugitiveMini
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by FugitiveMini »

I'll try and take a pic. I had the rod flat not through a hole. Maybe about 2 or 3 inches flat which was against the base and I was going to cover with stuff to hide it when done.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by Coen »

If the rod is just sitting on the base without any structure around it I don't think anything other than polyurethane glue (construction adhesive) would hold it.
I don't think that you would have the patience to hold it for the hour or two that the poly would take to harden.
Even then, you would need a small pile of it to stick the rod into.
I guess it depends on how much weight it needs to contend with.
Poly glue is pretty much the toughest adhesive that I've encountered, here one brand is called PL Premium. It's not expensive and it needs a caulk gun to disperse it.
I've used it to glue shovel heads back on. Works very well.
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by schweinhund227 »

First ! show us what plane you have and what Rod you have used and The Glue packaging !
the more details we can see... and try to spot the problem !

All the best to you and hope to hear from you soon !

In flight displays are cool !

Norm.
FugitiveMini
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by FugitiveMini »

I'll take a couple of pics today. The word that comes to mind is bugger. Its meant to hold up a 1/72 110. In the store they had several planes where they used epoxy on the plane to glue it to the bar rather than drilling holes.
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by chief5437 »

As the guys have said, I think your problem is 'glueing' it flat to the surface of the model. A 1/72 Me110 can't weigh a great deal. If you drill a hole to accommodate your rod, in the base and model, normal epoxy will suffice. I'm posting a couple of pics to illustrate, please don't examine the models as I'm not happy with either.

Image

The Hase A6 (worst kit ever btw, avoid at all costs!) is sat on an Airfix type stand. Just a tiny notch that barely inserts into the fuselage. It's only held on with normal cement, but it's more than enough as the kit is so light.

Image

The 1/48 airfix lightning is a lot heavier, so I've used epoxy in the tail to hold the rod, but the other end just sits in a hole drilled in the base. No need for epoxy, enabling removal for transit if required.

So I hope you can see from this, it's not so much the 'glue' that supports the model, it's the support from the base and likewise from the model at the other end, that holds it up. The epoxy is more there to hold it in position.

It's hard to put it into words, but if you look at the lightning, no glue would really be needed at all, as the rod is inserted far enough into the model and base to provide its own support.

I don't want to bang on, or teach you to suck eggs. But imagine putting a fence post in your garden. If you could dig a perfectly sized hole to the right depth, the post would just slide in and not move. In reality, you'd dig a big hole, put the post in and pour concrete around it. You wouldn't expect to put a bit of concrete on the bottom of the post and sit it on your garden, and think it will eventually stay there. The epoxy is doing the same job as the concrete.

I suspect that the hobby shop is either using a different cement to epoxy, or they're lying!

Don't get me wrong, normal CA will hold a lot of weight if applied in the right manner. Maybe that's what they're using?

Sorry for the long winded reply, but I've been in the same position myself, and I'm tying my hardest to help you out.

Hope this helps

Let's see how you get on

Cheers
Chief
FugitiveMini
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 am

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by FugitiveMini »

Thanks for all the help guys.

Here is a pic of what I was doing. The base is rough right now because I have only glue the foam down in places where I wanted a uneven surface. I was going to glue the rod down and then the whole base would be covered with wood putty. Which would have hidden the rod on the base. In the store the guy had used the epoxy on the plane rather than drilling holes in the kit. Looking underneath the planes on display you could see it, so I thought cool idea. I have never done in flight so I have hit a learning curve I didn't expect.

Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by Coen »

Ok,
I have an idea... I don't know if it will work for your project but I've done something similar.

Glue four small square 1/8th inch thick squares of styrene or similar shape object (styrene sheet is easy to get and to cut into squares). One in each corner.
It will lift the bottom of the display base off the surface of whatever it's sitting on enough that you you can put a few attachments underneath and it will still be level.
It will also make it easier to pick up if you have to move it.

Next drill a hole diagonally through the base so that the rod will pass through it with the correct angle that you have prebent, but leaving a little sticking out the bottom of the base.
Next, using a dremel tool, chisel, or hobby knife, carve out an "L" channel leading perpendicularly away from the hole in the bottom of the base that is the same length of the bit of rod that is sticking out of the hole. Now put the rod in and bend the bit of rod so it fits into the "L" channel.

Then fill hole and "L" channel with epoxy. Depending on the strength of your rod and the length of the diagonal hole in the base, that should hold a fair amount of weight.
How to attach it to the model. That's not something I know much about.
Drill a hole and epoxy it in is what I would do.

I hope that helps in some way buddy, it's the first thing that popped to mind as soon as I saw your picture.
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: Attaching metal rods

Post by Daishi12 »

Nice reply Coen, it might be an idea as well, if you don't want to drill the aircraft and are happy to have the brass rod on the outside, to hammer a flange onto the end of the brass rod. Basically you would have a shovel shape on the end of the rod which will increase surface area and resist torsion forces. Hope this helps.
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”