Multi-stage chipping

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
User avatar
JasonGaspard
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:16 am
Location: Omaha, NE US

Multi-stage chipping

Post by JasonGaspard »

Thinking ahead to the VJ 48h build, I will need a way to show heavy weathering thru the color and primer to bare metal like so many of the Marine Corps aircraft displayed. In keeping with the time restrictions I needed to not burn a load of time on this stage of the build so I did some experimenting ahead of time. This was the most successful effort.

Stage one was a black primer over coated with Alclad Aluminum and light coats of AK Worn Effects. Once that was dry, a coat of Tamiya XF-4 (Yellow Green) to replicate the chromate primer (never mind the left side, the hairspray gave more of a worn effect than chipped I was wanting)
Image

Once this was dry I laid on a coat of LACQUER glosscote (very important to use something that won't be effected by the next chipping stage).
Image

And once that had gone off another coat of the worn effects and as soon as that was dry, the top color. That was chipped away once dry (I didn't wait long enough so more came up than I anticipated but this is just meant to be proof of concept). This would have been easier to control had I let the blue cure longer...
Image

On the real project kit this will be restricted to walkways and panel lines on the heavy traffic/wear areas...
-Jason
User avatar
benc123
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm
Location: Derby, UK

Re: Multi-stage chipping

Post by benc123 »

That's fantastic mate, looks really convincing!
If it looks right, it is right.

My Portfolio

YouTube Chanel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBenc1234
User avatar
RichBuilds
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
Contact:

Re: Multi-stage chipping

Post by RichBuilds »

That works really well mate.
http://www.RichBuilds.com ~ Scale Schinanigans
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Multi-stage chipping

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

benc123 wrote:That's fantastic mate, looks really convincing!
+1
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Multi-stage chipping

Post by rwsmith14 »

Looks good !! :thumb2:
Image
fred29
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Re: Multi-stage chipping

Post by fred29 »

i find hairspray gives the best results for me
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”