Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Lysus »

I've noticed that quite a few modellers keep a second (or more) airbrush, one for colors, one for primers/top coats. I've been considering this and I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

1. If I were to pick up a second airbrush, what is the best way to divide responsibility between the two? I.e., is one for color ONLY or is there a more specific way the tasks are split.

2. Which airbrush would you recommend for the task? That is, if the recommendation is for a dedicated primer/top coat, what make and needle size is best, etc.

Currently using an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. (Thinking of adding a Harder & Steenbeck as they seem to be well praised around here, though I'm open to anything. The Iwata has been a delight so far.)

Thanks!
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Avgas »

I started off with an HS Ultra with the two needle sizes. I found that some primers like the .4 needle so was always swapping around the needles. I thought I would treat myself to a top notch one (then I had no excuses for a botched paint job!) and bought the HS Infinity CR. I now use that for my .2 stuff which invariably turns out to be acrylic paint and use the Ultra with the .4 needle for priming, laquer, gloss and matt coating etc. Although Aqua Gloss will quite happily fire through the Infinity with the .2. I did however get myself a pinch tip for the Ultra, they come as standard on the Infinity.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
OliveDrab
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:48 am
Location: Missouri, USA
United States of America

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by OliveDrab »

I also have the Iwata HP-CS, great airbrush, but to be honest it gets very little use. I consider it my "detail" brush, so it only gets used for fine detail work like painting camo on an AFV. My main workhorse brush is my trusty old Paasche H-set which is used for all my primer, basecoat or any other general or large area airbrushing. The Paasche is over twenty years old now, and still does the job for me, but would NOT be a good choice for painting fine lines as would be needed for painting camo. I could use the Iwata more often, but cleaning the Paasche is easier and faster, hence I'll use it much more often.

So for me, I pick the airbrush best suited for the task, I would not use the Iwata for painting a primer coat (spray pattern is too small/fine), nor would I ever use the Paasche to paint camo (spray pattern is too large/course). Of course, this is just me, others will have their methods/reasons too.
Curt :cheers2:
heel
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:29 pm
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by heel »

OliveDrab wrote:I also have the Iwata HP-CS, great airbrush, but to be honest it gets very little use. I consider it my "detail" brush, so it only gets used for fine detail work like painting camo on an AFV. My main workhorse brush is my trusty old Paasche H-set which is used for all my primer, basecoat or any other general or large area airbrushing. The Paasche is over twenty years old now, and still does the job for me, but would NOT be a good choice for painting fine lines as would be needed for painting camo. I could use the Iwata more often, but cleaning the Paasche is easier and faster, hence I'll use it much more often.

So for me, I pick the airbrush best suited for the task, I would not use the Iwata for painting a primer coat (spray pattern is too small/fine), nor would I ever use the Paasche to paint camo (spray pattern is too large/course). Of course, this is just me, others will have their methods/reasons too.
OD, I use the exact setup myself. The Paasche is so easy it gets most of the work.
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by ForbesHutton »

I use a H&S Evolution with a .4 needle for the big/dirty work and a Infinity CR+ with a .2 for the finer work. Not only do I love the threadless nozzles on the H&S, but it's larger size has made it impossible for the carpet monster to digest.
One thing that can be taken from firearms training is finding a "system". Just as the best back-up for a full size Glock is a compact Glock (or whatever design can be had in large/small sizes) having each airbrush operate and strip down in the same manner means I won't damage a model or airbrush by accidently doing to it what should only be done with the other brush. The commonality builds familiarity, and as a bonus, if I do break of damage one, but still need that needle size, I can swap over the needle and carry on.
Image
User avatar
Backfire22
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 am
Location: Jacksonville Florida

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Backfire22 »

I use two badger 150s, I have never had an issue with either but I admit I am looking to try an Infinity.
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Avgas »

Have to say the Infinity is awesome and a joy just to pick up, like a well weighted fountain pen.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Stokesy44 »

Avgas wrote:Have to say the Infinity is awesome and a joy just to pick up, like a well weighted fountain pen.
Its a lot more cash than the Ultra, £150 v £60 on Air-Craft.net. Do you think its worth it? (genuine question, not rhetorical or judgemental)

I have a generic airbrush that came with a compressor and am looking to invest in something new for detail work. No council tax for 2 months so the cash is burning a hole in me pocket!! :dance:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Avgas »

Its a lot more cash than the Ultra, £150 v £60 on Air-Craft.net. Do you think its worth it?
Well they both spray paint, a Ford Fiesta will plod down the motorway just the same as an Aston Martin. It's just a quality product. You get the laquer proof seals, the paint cup screws in rather than presses in, you get a paint cup lid, a ridged trigger for a better feel under your trigger finger, a pinch tip and a paint flow restrictor, which if you haven't used one before is like turning on a light in a coal hole. Plus it just feels like a class act when you pick it up. Nothing wrong with an Ultra at all, I still love and use mine.

If you are a bit of a handyman and you can afford it (two months council tax free puts it well within reach if you pay as much as me) would you rather use a spanner from the local hardware shop or a Snap On? They will both do the same job.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Bluey
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: Dorset, UK
England

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Bluey »

For me H&S are real quality. I am far from being an expert, but my first 'proper' airbrush was the Ultra, and it was a joy compared to the free airbrushes you get with compressors sometimes. After using just the Ultra for a while, I jumped in and bought the Evolution CRplus 2in1, and agin, that felt like a step up from the Ultra. I now use both, the Ultra for clear coats etc, and the Evolution for a majority of my paint.
For me, H&S are a quality product at a decent price, and it does seem like you get what you pay for.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by digger303 »

Bluey wrote:For me H&S are real quality. I am far from being an expert, but my first 'proper' airbrush was the Ultra, and it was a joy compared to the free airbrushes you get with compressors sometimes. After using just the Ultra for a while, I jumped in and bought the Evolution CRplus 2in1, and agin, that felt like a step up from the Ultra. I now use both, the Ultra for clear coats etc, and the Evolution for a majority of my paint.
For me, H&S are a quality product at a decent price, and it does seem like you get what you pay for.
Sage advice :th:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Stokesy44 »

Avgas wrote:
Its a lot more cash than the Ultra, £150 v £60 on Air-Craft.net. Do you think its worth it?
Well they both spray paint, a Ford Fiesta will plod down the motorway just the same as an Aston Martin. It's just a quality product. You get the laquer proof seals, the paint cup screws in rather than presses in, you get a paint cup lid, a ridged trigger for a better feel under your trigger finger, a pinch tip and a paint flow restrictor, which if you haven't used one before is like turning on a light in a coal hole. Plus it just feels like a class act when you pick it up. Nothing wrong with an Ultra at all, I still love and use mine.

If you are a bit of a handyman and you can afford it (two months council tax free puts it well within reach if you pay as much as me) would you rather use a spanner from the local hardware shop or a Snap On? They will both do the same job.
Thanks for a great reply Avgas. Your point is well made. I am sold.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Avgas »

I don't think you'll regret it. :cheers2:
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Lysus »

Avgas wrote:
....and a paint flow restrictor, which if you haven't used one before is like turning on a light in a coal hole.
Talk to me more about this, what are the benefits of this? The HP-CS has a chuck nut, but I've never messed with it. I'm assuming what your're talking about is something different, maybe.

Total neophyte with airbrushes, here.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Avgas »

It's an adjustable dial at the back of the brush. It encloses the needle and controls the amount of back trigger you can apply. Imagine you're doing some pre shading where you want very fine paint control, on a non adjutable brush you always have those 'Bugger' moments where you release a little too much paint and have a blob that you have to clear up. With the adjustable trigger all that is in the past, you can pull back as hard as you want but it will only release the paint you have set on the dial.

It's a push button action as well so when you want to inhibit the paint flow you press in the back of the airbrush and it will automatically set it to what you last had in the memory. When you want normal flow you just pull the button back out (I do it with my teeth if I'm holding a piece in the other hand.)
It's the gold coloured button and dial at the right hand end of the brush. http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Infin ... wgodPVcEew
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Lysus »

Avgas wrote:It's an adjustable dial at the back of the brush. It encloses the needle and controls the amount of back trigger you can apply. Imagine you're doing some pre shading where you want very fine paint control, on a non adjutable brush you always have those 'Bugger' moments where you release a little too much paint and have a blob that you have to clear up. With the adjustable trigger all that is in the past, you can pull back as hard as you want but it will only release the paint you have set on the dial.

It's a push button action as well so when you want to inhibit the paint flow you press in the back of the airbrush and it will automatically set it to what you last had in the memory. When you want normal flow you just pull the button back out (I do it with my teeth if I'm holding a piece in the other hand.)
It's the gold coloured button and dial at the right hand end of the brush. http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Infin ... wgodPVcEew
Well that pretty much seals the deal for me, (doesn't hurt that the brush is pretty to look at, too). At ~$300 USD I'll probably wait for my tax refund, though :D
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Stokesy44 »

I've already got a robbery set up so I can buy the 1/72 Dora railway gun from Hobby Boss. The airbrush will have to wait a couple of months. I will get one though. Oh yes. It will be mine!
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
plasticsturgeon
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by plasticsturgeon »

i agree the h&s is a nice brush and its versatile. I was lucky enough to get a custom micron cmc plus for xmas , and it really is a game changer its the most comfortable and smooth airbrush ive picked up and how it atomizes into a lovley fine spray is awesome
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by digger303 »

Stokesy44 wrote:I've already got a robbery set up so I can buy the 1/72 Dora railway gun from Hobby Boss. The airbrush will have to wait a couple of months. I will get one though. Oh yes. It will be mine!

Can I be your partner.....just have to save for the airfare first :lol:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Opinion: Thoughts on a second airbrush?

Post by Lysus »

digger303 wrote:
Stokesy44 wrote:I've already got a robbery set up so I can buy the 1/72 Dora railway gun from Hobby Boss. The airbrush will have to wait a couple of months. I will get one though. Oh yes. It will be mine!

Can I be your partner.....just have to save for the airfare first :lol:
Seems to me the best way to rob a bank these days is to be a banker, no airfare needed.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”