Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post Reply
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by aur0ra145 »

Howdy,

Started this build a few days ago. It's my first Tamiya kit and it came all the way from Japan! That's probably normal around these parts but getting mail from that far away still seems a bit amazing to me. Anywho, The kit is coming together nicely, next to no fitting issues and rather detailed for being a 1/72 model. HOPEFULLY, the canopy will turn out okay. I spent a lot of time masking this one. It's currently got primer on it and I'm waiting for it to dry.

Cheers!

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by aur0ra145 »

Well, I got a bit overzealous and forgot to take some pre-shading pictures. Funny enough, I got about half way through the orange coate before I remembered to pre-shade. There was a bit of cursing, but I managed to go back and pre-shade. Came out nice, now for decals!

Image

Bonus: Pictures of the friend I made this morning while fishing. Cheers! :cheers2: fatherless person decided to fish right on top of me.

Image

Image
User avatar
Liamcraven666
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Great Britain
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by Liamcraven666 »

That's one great looking bird! Not really ever heard of this aircraft before ... interesting. :pop:
Hello :hi:
User avatar
Sturm
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:04 am
Location: California,USA
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by Sturm »

Liamcraven666 wrote:That's one great looking bird! Not really ever heard of this aircraft before ... interesting. :pop:
Which bird are you talking about.. :tongue: Have not really heard of this aircraft before either, buts it's looking great so far! :th:
"Excuses are tools of incompetence used to build monuments of nothingness. Those who use them seldom amount to anything."
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by aur0ra145 »

The M6A1-K is the land based trainer of the M6A1. The M6A1 was a scout/attack plane that the I-400 submarine would carry. Honestly I'd never heard of the plane until I stumbled across the kit. This particular plane was a training model for an aircraft they only produced 28 of in all; so it's not surprising only a few people have heard of it.

The other bird is a Great Blue Heron. They're all over the US.
Elve1984
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:33 am
Contact:
Netherlands

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by Elve1984 »

Great paint job on the M6A1-K. The story on the M6A1 andere the I-400's is very intresting i read that at the end of the war some I-400's where on there way to bomb the Panama canal.

So did ya catch anything?
My modeling website: ElveScaleModeling
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by aur0ra145 »

Elve1984 wrote:Great paint job on the M6A1-K. The story on the M6A1 andere the I-400's is very intresting i read that at the end of the war some I-400's where on there way to bomb the Panama canal.

So did ya catch anything?
Actually, yes. I just started fly fishing. Tried when I was younger but never caught anything. I'm inbetween training at work so I decided to start up again. First day out I caught 15 fish inside of 40 minutes. Today I caught 3 brim on a popper than another two on a woolly bugger. Plus two on the road runner and another one on a rattle trap. Fly fishing is a ton of fun if the wind isn't too terrible. That Blue Heron saw me catch a perch and flew over to over see my fishing. I got a 4 lb Large Mouth on a woolly bugger and he was really upset I didn't throw it to him. He couldn't of eaten it; but, he got super interested in what I was doing when I was pulling fish out of the water. Ha!
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by aur0ra145 »

It's finished! Came out really well. I went a little crazy with weathering. But the canopy looks very good. Which is what I was really trying to get practice with.

I used the Alclad Aqua gloss as the finishing coat over Tamiya acrylics. Then applied decals. Sealed decals with Aqua gloss. Then used Testors Dullcote for the top coat. Went really well. This is probably how I'll do my F-105D. This model was a testing ground for finishes over acrylics.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Elve1984
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:33 am
Contact:
Netherlands

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by Elve1984 »

Sounds like some fun fishing!

Alclad finishes work really wel, ik started using them a little while ago and am verry happy with the results i get
My modeling website: ElveScaleModeling
User avatar
Les0012
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:22 pm
Location: Keith NE Scotland
Scotland

Re: Tamiya 1/72 Aichi M6A1-K Nanzan

Post by Les0012 »

That's a sweet build dude.

Unusual subject.

Les
Post Reply

Return to “Prop Aircraft”