Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by kruno59 »

Guys;

I've got the bug with tanks now (oh dear)

I know there are hundreds of YT how to videos but I would prefer a book to look at.

I'm specifically interested in the mechanics of applying the various products - for example - how would you use pigments - do use thinner with them - what about pigment fixer etc.

Don't forget I come from the world of planes (washes and pin line work) so am a total novice at this.

Would this be appropriate - what about Vol 1 is Vol 2 the same as Vol 1 but with updated chapters

AK Interactive Book - FAQ VOL 2

Cheers as always for your help :th: :th:
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by Coen »

There's plenty of stuff here on the forum for that in the How-To section... and it's free.
A few of us have written a couple of articles that might be of interest.
You should seriously check out what's in there.
http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewforum.php?f=63

There are tonnes of books on how to build and weather armour, but many of them are more of a show off of either a specific product line, or of an artists skill.
I found these books very useful when it comes to the general skills, but books become dated very quickly in regards to products. The methods stay the same, but products come and go all the time now.
https://ospreypublishing.com/store/mode ... asterclass

These are good for learning about the specifics one certain vehicles. I've learned almost everything that I know from these books and the masterclass books.

https://ospreypublishing.com/store/mode ... -modelling

These are just some of the books out there to choose from, some are more cliquey and are obvious product driven, others are "Look how awesome I am" books. I find that these osprey ones are good for cutting through a lot of the crap and teaching the basics.
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by kruno59 »

Thanks for your help Mike - much appreciated.

John
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

I was/am in your position too. I have previously only built real-space models but got bitten by the AFV bug about 18 months ago but building (actually, painting, weathering etc) AFV models requires a completely different skill set compared to real-space models.

The hardest thing I found when looking for good AFV build reference books is deciding what finishing techniques most appealed to me. There are so many ways to acheive the same result that it's easy to get "overloaded" trying out multiple techniques which is why I've settled on Michael Rinaldi's TankArt series.
They are beautifully illustrated and cover everything you mention but the most important thing to me is the steps and methods Michael advocates are an extension of what I already know from my real-space modelling so his books appeal to me more than other equally brilliant authors who teach different techniques.
http://www.rinaldistudiopress.com
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by kruno59 »

Thanks mate

John
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by wookiee76 »

I just stole everything i know from michaels ( coen c) youtube vids! Along with a few i wonder and happy accident moments.
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

wookiee76 wrote:I just stole everything i know from michaels ( coen c) youtube vids! Along with a few i wonder and happy accident moments.
Videos are brilliant and an invaluable resource (I learnt/learn plenty from them), but perhaps (and maybe this is me showing my age) I still prefer a book :geek:
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by wookiee76 »

I too enjoy a book, it's the price that puts me off and my local library is useless unless you want romantic novels or rural history of norfolk!
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
User avatar
Svenne009
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:00 pm
Location: Eeklo - Belgium

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by Svenne009 »

It's like OneSmallStep1966 said, a lot of modeling technique books out there focus on the author's "style" and techniques. In lot of the cases, makes it a bit hard to get what's working for you and incorporate it into your "style". Can be done, but needs a much larger understanding of the why, how & when of the techniques. Something that's not so easy when your starting.

To get into it, it's a good thing to choose a modeler and go with his style, weathering sequence, products and techniques. Like there are -> Mig Jiminez, Adam Wilder, Michael Rinaldi, Jose Luis Lopez, our own Coen, people online ... Will get you a build under the belt and get the feel for the products and their advantages and disadvantages for you personal. What works for somebody does not mean it will work for you.

I bought a couple of books:

Painting Guide for AFV: of World War Two and Modern Era - Jose Luis Lopez.
Good review from Paul here at ISM.
[youtube]nhbZDmRAmqs[/youtube]

Good book, clear instructions, the use of easy available products and overview of the build sequence he uses. But the focus is largely on color modulation and black and white technique with under layer weathering. A bit advanced to start with. Also a "style" book.

Adam's Armour: Modelling Guide 1 - Adam Wilder
Adam's Armour: Modelling Guide 2 - Adam Wilder

Very nice set of books, lot of techniques involving all aspects of building armor. Perfectly explained with a lot of pictures and different examples & multiple (though mostly Russian armor) subjects used.

The first book gives a nice view of general techniques, tools and products. Useful for all modelers, but also a "style" book. His style is - heavy use, battle damage and heavy weathering, and this book is working towards that.

The second book's focus is on the painting and weathering, although (again) well explained and shown, here it's all his style and products used. You need to go all in, when following his style. It involves a lot of his own specific stuff. It does gives an awesome result - lookup his steel/rust work, but it's far off of what most mainstream modelers use and do. So a bit hard for a beginner to pick up stuff and mix it with other learned techniques.

FAQ 2 - Mig Jiminez.

Best one I have. It's a technique book that digs into all aspects of building AFV's (armor and soft skins) and some diorama buidling. The product's used are easily available (he created most of them). It's mostly pictures with not a lot of text, but most cases that works perfect to get it across. A lot of people say that most stuff is easy to find online, they are correct. But imo nothing beats a book, certainly not in this case. Not a cheap book, but as a beginner, if you are going to buy a book -> buy this one.
Sven.

In the pipeline:
Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen type 82 DAK
Hobby Boss 1/35 German Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf.F
Tamiya 1/35 JSU-152 007 GB
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by aur0ra145 »

I have two questions.

1. What does AFV stand for.

2. How does the hair spray technique work? I've heard people reference; but, never seen a how-to.
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

aur0ra145 wrote:I have two questions.

1. What does AFV stand for.
Armoured Fighting Vehicle
aur0ra145 wrote:2. How does the hair spray technique work?
Hair spray is used as a layer underneath an layer acrylic paint layer to aid chipping. When the top acrylic paint layer is wetted with water it reactivates the hair spray underneath making it easy to chip off the acrylic paint in a very controlled way.
Search YouTube, there's lots of demos on how it works there.
kruno59
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bexleyheath - Kent - UK

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by kruno59 »

Thank again guys :)
User avatar
Svenne009
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:00 pm
Location: Eeklo - Belgium

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by Svenne009 »

aur0ra145 wrote: 2. How does the hair spray technique work? I've heard people reference; but, never seen a how-to.
http://migjimenez.blogspot.be/2009/11/h ... -vol1.html
Sven.

In the pipeline:
Tamiya 1/35 Kubelwagen type 82 DAK
Hobby Boss 1/35 German Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf.F
Tamiya 1/35 JSU-152 007 GB
User avatar
Icemannique
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:03 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Finland

Re: Tank weathering for a beginner - BOOK

Post by Icemannique »

afv = armored fighting vehicle
Jari alias Jerry
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”