Painting Bandai Star Wars kits

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
newmodeler
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Painting Bandai Star Wars kits

Post by newmodeler »

Sorry to keep bothering everyone with questions but I had another quick question about the color guide for Bandai kits. I found a translation of the color guide that tells me what percentage of what color paint I should use but it does not tell me the brand. Is there a specific brand the color guide is referring to?
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Painting Bandai Star Wars kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I did the same research for the Star Wars SIG X-wing build
Gunze paints and Mr Hobby were the two I remember
I painted mine Tamiya XF-19 and just varied the grey tones by adding in black
Hope that helps
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Painting Bandai Star Wars kits

Post by Lysus »

If it's like my Resistance X-Wing (a newer Bandai SW kit) then the paint instructions above the color chart says "We recommend the use of water-based paint for best results" meaning acrylics--a.k.a. Mr. Hobby Aqueous (GSI/Creos) as this is the usual go-to for Bandai as a company. They even make Gundam specific paint colors in Japan for Bandai, so I would assume this is what they're referencing. But many brands make similar colors.

ISM has some handy conversion charts as it's not sold everywhere (for example, I can't find them in the States without importing them):

http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=9

Click here for the color chart for the line compiled by mech9. The number up top with the H-XX is the Mr. Hobby Aqueous, while the second number below, C-XXX, is the Mr. Color equivalent. Any alternate name will be listed below that.

I would say you can do this two ways:

1. Find the names listed on your color call out on the mech9 color chart and note the number (for example Gloss Red is H3) and then use one of the color chart converters from the ISM link to find the equivalent brand near you or;

2. Take your already translated color call out sheet notes and eyeball it at the hobby store.

Of course if you have Mr. Hobby Aqueous available where you are, then you're set.

Personally I wouldn't sweat it too much about getting the exact colors unless that really matters to you. The point is to enjoy the build and not fret over color too much, at least I think so ;)

Hope this helps!
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”