A leap of faith

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
burnie43
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Inverness, Scotland

A leap of faith

Post by burnie43 »

Well I mostly always build something that stays on the ground cause cockpits cause me baldness, grey eyebrows and bad words !!! BUT in the past I have tried to complete a few 1/48 F-18's and F-15's ....yep the " F" word again !! I have completed only 1 or 2 WW2 aircraft but that was way in the past, I always found that the fuselage join was visible and when I sanded it all the lines went with the sander and it ended up almost square on top and the wing joints...oh man they were never the way that I wanted them.....I won't go on....
But just the other nigh I went into "retail frenzy" mode and ordered 4 WW2 aircraft....P-51 Mustang, P-40 and a P-37 I think,,,and yes I was sober !! I like these aircraft and i am going to try and really get out of my comfort zone so any hints, tips etc will be welcomed and 1 question.......
Where do I put the mud ?
Cheers :cheers2: :cheers2:
Mark
Tis the march! 'Tis the march! Of the Highland Brigade
Caledonia's Sons of the kilt and the plaid
Aye foremost in danger, right onward they go
They have but one object, and that is the foe!
[/color]

On the bench
A permanent explosion scene.................
[/b]
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: A leap of faith

Post by wookiee76 »

Test fitting, clamps and a gentle hand on the sander to keep a curve, any panel lines can be rescribed. Also once you are happy with the fit tape the fuselage halves together before gluing.
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
User avatar
SMAddict66
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Redditch, UK
England

Re: A leap of faith

Post by SMAddict66 »

These work really well at keeping those curves Mark

http://www.flex-i-file.com/flex-i-file.php

I know they're available a various modelling events, just not sure how many get up to Inverness :think:
Phil
On the bench - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish
Just off the bench - Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2B
Next on the bench - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F2A/F6
User avatar
burnie43
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Inverness, Scotland

Re: A leap of faith

Post by burnie43 »

SMAddict66 wrote:These work really well at keeping those curves Mark

http://www.flex-i-file.com/flex-i-file.php

I know they're available a various modelling events, just not sure how many get up to Inverness :think:
cheers Phil...there's a show in Perth at some point in April so I'll get em there...
mark
Tis the march! 'Tis the march! Of the Highland Brigade
Caledonia's Sons of the kilt and the plaid
Aye foremost in danger, right onward they go
They have but one object, and that is the foe!
[/color]

On the bench
A permanent explosion scene.................
[/b]
User avatar
burnie43
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm
Location: Inverness, Scotland

Re: A leap of faith

Post by burnie43 »

wookiee76 wrote:Test fitting, clamps and a gentle hand on the sander to keep a curve, any panel lines can be rescribed. Also once you are happy with the fit tape the fuselage halves together before gluing.
lend me your gentle touch Wookie...lol
cheers
Mark
Tis the march! 'Tis the march! Of the Highland Brigade
Caledonia's Sons of the kilt and the plaid
Aye foremost in danger, right onward they go
They have but one object, and that is the foe!
[/color]

On the bench
A permanent explosion scene.................
[/b]
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: A leap of faith

Post by wookiee76 »

And if that don't work, it's hammer time! Me, gentle touch? I'm about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the gentlemans area!
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: A leap of faith

Post by Avgas »

I wouldn't sweat the seam lines too much to start with. Take any away that are easy to fix obviously but just take it easy for the first few. Also instead of (you have already probably thought of this but just in case!) sanding down from what is already there try building up your seam line filler into a ridge so that you are just sanding filler when you start, so you are sanding down to the original surface if that makes sense rather than putting a smidgen of filler on and sanding away the plastic with your first strokes. It doesn't have to be a mountain of filler, just make it stand proud a bit.
Regards, Dave.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”