What makes a great modeller?...

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
gazmat
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: UK
Great Britain

What makes a great modeller?...

Post by gazmat »

As per title really... you know the type, loads on here, but also the likes of the Spanish, I think they happen to be some of the finest modellers out there....(why is that by the way?)...what makes "those modellers" a cut above the rest of us mere mortals...???
Jagdpanzer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by Jagdpanzer »

I've often wondered the same thing about the Spanish Modellers. There's a warmth or earthiness to their style I find really appealing.

When you look into the background of some of them you will see they have had formal artistic training to third level. So the combination of talent and training helps I suppose. The understanding of mediums and colour must be a massive advantage.

I often find it's perhaps 4-6 small aspects of a model that sets it apart. There are just certain areas of detail / weathering / colour usage that make it exceptional.

The other thing I always mull over is that I am usually looking at their work through a photograph. Don't discount the effect of a well taken professional photograph.
User avatar
cib2265
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by cib2265 »

Spanish modelling style looks "great" because of the high contrast with overly done preshading and post fading techniques that catch the eye and make it all "pop"!

I dont consider the style anywhere near the "finest" but it looks good and that's what makes it popular.
Its not realistic, just like zenithal lighting on figures, but many art styles (pointillism, impressionism etc) are like that.

I prefer the works of Adam Wilder, Mike Rinaldi, Matt McDougall etc in terms of real expression of what the subject looks like. These guys get the painting and weathering right and apply the right techniques to make their models great.

What makes modelling great in my mind is not only a tank or plane or whatever on its own, but tied together into a diorama that tells a story and grabs you. Think Rick Lawler's vignette of the concentration camp prisoner in front of an empty railway cart, or that DAK North Afrika dio of the Panzer II and troops advancing by Kaz Tomori, or the crashed Brandenburg W.29 by Per Olav Lund. Thats great modelling!
Image
Image
Image
Chris Becker in Sunshine Coast, Australia
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by Coen »

I think what makes a great modeller is her/his enjoyment of his/her own hobby.
If you can manage to do that then you've perfected it.
No matter what level of skill you have.
That's the whole point to it.
The fun
If you think otherwise then it's not a hobby to you or your doing it wrong.
User avatar
JimJ
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:33 am

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by JimJ »

Coen wrote:I think what makes a great modeller is her/his enjoyment of his/her own hobby.
If you can manage to do that then you've perfected it.
No matter what level of skill you have.
That's the whole point to it.
The fun
If you think otherwise then it's not a hobby to you or your doing it wrong.
What he said.......................
User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by aur0ra145 »

I agree with Coen. As with any hobby, it's most important to have fun. Like fishing, it's good to catch fish; but, the extravagant story telling is what makes the hobby fun. Or golf, it's about walking around in a field drinking beer and not about shooting double whatever par is. I'll have to remember to tell my room mate tomorrow that I'm a great golfer, even if I shot a 114 two days ago... on a par 60.

In all seriousness though, it's all about having fun. I wouldn't stick with a hobby very long if it degraded into a cycle of frustration and hatred.
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by RobertK »

In my other hobby, astrophotography, the same rules seems to apply here in model photography (and/or painting).
Contrast is "everything".
I don't always agree but with a quick glance on a photo it looks cool, for example an aircraft model without dark panel lines can looks a bit flat on a photograph but at the same time look good in real life.
:banana:
OneSmallStep1966
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:37 pm
Location: Herne Bay, Kent (UK)
England

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by OneSmallStep1966 »

I do agree with Coen's sentiment but also appreciate the skill of those that can elevate a plastic model to a genuine work of art.
As to who is best, that question is to subjective to answer, but my preferences are inline with cib2265 above.
gazmat
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: UK
Great Britain

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by gazmat »

I wasn't really asking the question as to who is the best modeller (perhaps, I pre judged the Spanish, I do like their modelling, but have to agree sometimes, rather "too" weathered/shadowed, bit like a HDR photo) ....but, what it takes to be a great modeller, ie, do they look at the subject in a totally different way to us mortals, if so why and how do they see it that way?...Looking at the above pictures, I would say they are certainly a work of art.

Trying to understand the nuances of someone who takes it to another level.... I appreciate that, yes we must enjoy and have fun, but the more I delve into this hobby, the more I want to know how to acheive that "piece of art" ....I guess knowing the mindset, will I hope, get somewhere near...
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by Lysus »

I don't know, man. In all the videos and posts I've ever read from someone I think is amazing, the one commonality is that they seem to really enjoy what they're doing and don't fear making mistakes.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
CharleyGnarlyP290
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:31 am
Location: California
Contact:
United States of America

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by CharleyGnarlyP290 »

I think what makes a great modeller is a cape. Like a super hero.

Just kidding. In my opinion, it is level of commitment. And practice of course, but sheer commitment. Take me for example: I am mediocre, at best. Part of the reason for my mediocrity, is that I get so far and determine it looks good enough without risking totally screwing it up. The really great modellers really go the extra mile. they take chances and figure out what works and what doesn't. And keep in mind, we are only seeing the successes.
User avatar
cib2265
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by cib2265 »

gazmat wrote:what it takes to be a great modeller, ie, do they look at the subject in a totally different way to us mortals, if so why and how do they see it that way?...Looking at the above pictures, I would say they are certainly a work of art.

Trying to understand the nuances of someone who takes it to another level.... I appreciate that, yes we must enjoy and have fun, but the more I delve into this hobby, the more I want to know how to acheive that "piece of art" ....I guess knowing the mindset, will I hope, get somewhere near...
There it is - to some, like Coen stated this is "a hobby", to others its an expression of art.

And its not all about having fun - you can't just be bouncing and smiling and laughing and grinning every time you're at the hobby bench - sometimes there's frustration, there's confusion, there's "I want to throw this against a wall because the fit is terrible" etc...because then you get the satisifaction and "fun" from working through those lows to experience the highs and take some pride in what you've achieved.

I started this hobby as a way to distract myself from my work, but now its something more. Maybe I'm doing it wrong now because I want to become a great modeller and consider those examples above to be "great"? Can't we have both approaches?
Chris Becker in Sunshine Coast, Australia
Jagdpanzer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by Jagdpanzer »

I couldn't have said it any better cib2265.

I think many of the famous modellers have mastered the fundamental skills, experimented and transcended the traditional methods. They have developed their own style.

I agree you have to keep pushing yourself. If I ever reach the point where I believe I am not going to get any better, then that's the end of the hobby for me. It's the belief when you start every kit that you are somehow going to make it better than the last one which keeps me going.
gazmat
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: UK
Great Britain

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by gazmat »

Agree with a lot you have said cib2265, sounds like your a bit like me in wanting to become great modeller (only to justify to myself)...

I was thinking. that surely each of us wants to build their next kit, better than the last...or do you get to a point when your just going through the motions of turning out kit after kit doing the same thing (ie, weathering, post shading, pre shading etc) and not experimenting and taking risks, and taking that next model TO the next level.....surely we strive (maybe a male thing) to get better at what we do....(most definately a male thing..lol )

Perhaps the risk of doing things like that,IT will take the "fun" away from kit building....
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by Avgas »

Depends on personality types really. I get a lot of pleasure just zoning out at the bench, unaware of anything else around me. Bit like fishing really, I don't go fishing to catch fish in particular, catching them is a bonus. Then you get anglers who devote their whole time and attention to getting that big fish. Nothing wrong with either approach.

I'll never be a great modeller, but then I don't care. To be great at anything you have to put the time and effort in. A lot of it. Willem and I both teach musical instruments and the pupils I have who really hit it with effort and determination are few and far between. They are the ones that will be good. However, the one's who still enjoy it and don't put the time and effort in, well thats fine too.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by digger303 »

The degree of enthusiasm and the need to be better.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: What makes a great modeller?...

Post by wookiee76 »

Skill, talent, practice, patience, all the above make a really good modeller, for me a great modeller is one who also takes the time to explain and show how to achieve such results, doesn't throw their name about as if they are some c grade celebrity ( don't you know who i am? Yeah mate, a total douche!), respects and gives back to the hobby not trying to lord it over a perceived underclass.
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”