Help with washes

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Heywhire
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Norman, OK US

Help with washes

Post by Heywhire »

Please help. This has probably been mentioned before and I apologize if it has. Below is what I think I am supposed to do.

1. Clean plastic
2. I will prime with Alclad black. ( For the black basing proceedure. )
3. Paint with Tamiya or Vallejo acrylic
4. Gloss. This is where I get confused.
- If I use Vallejo wash I need to gloss with enamel right?
- Let dry for at least 2 days.
5. Apply decals
6. Gloss over decals. (Let dry/harden for 2 days.)
7. Apply Vallejo wash on and wait to dry
8. Take excess wash off with moist paper towel.

Am I missing anything or is there a better way? I thought I was doing right but ruined my airplane.

Any help would be great. I like the wash look but do not want to ruin another kit.

Thanks
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Help with washes

Post by Paul »

Vallejo wash wont work like that, you need a clay based wash like ours for that http://www.umpretail.com


[youtube]p4sJAEt2yXw[/youtube]
User avatar
Heywhire
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Norman, OK US

Re: Help with washes

Post by Heywhire »

Thanks Paul.

I am in the US. Do you have a US distributor? Or will you ship to US.

Also, do you recommend a clear coat? And does the clear coat need to be high gloss?

Thanks
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Help with washes

Post by Paul »

Heywhire wrote:Thanks Paul.

I am in the US. Do you have a US distributor? Or will you ship to US.

Also, do you recommend a clear coat? And does the clear coat need to be high gloss?

Thanks
We deliver to the USA yeah and hobby world has them in stock too ( i think) and yeah you need a very good close coat
User avatar
Heywhire
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Norman, OK US

Re: Help with washes

Post by Heywhire »

Thank you.
wookiee76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Help with washes

Post by wookiee76 »

With the enamel based washes the procedures stay pretty much the same but instead of slathering the wash on and then wiping the excess off you moisten the area with a mineral/white spirit or turpenoid then pinwash, that is apply the wash only into the detail, any excess can be removed with a brush dampened with the same thinner.
John, whats on my bench? Usually a mess and a couple of different models a week.
My motto? I'm not lazy, just energy efficient.
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Help with washes

Post by RobertK »

There is also another way using vallejo washes, or vallejo paints (probably lots of other brands, just tried with these) as a "removable wash". Add a retarder, and quite alot of it and then you will be able to wipe off the excess before the paint is dry.
The downside is that it could take a day or two before the paint is dry or if you take to much retarder it will "never" dry.
This method is probably just if you are out of anything else usable as a wash, haha.
:banana:
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”