Pocher Kits

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Pocher Kits

Post by Tacoman2000 »

Anyone have any experience with the Pocher Kits? Are they worth the small fortune needed to own one?
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

You have to be stupid and crazy and live off a trust fund to be a Pocher nut
I love the Alfas and have two kits not yet started. More into the old classic ones vs the newer Lambos
The company was in Italy and went bankrupt, sold to South American company that took over the name
Thread about them from another site
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/inde ... =97497&hl=

Ps I am not stalking you!
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Tacoman2000 »

lol. no worries. I was thinking about buying a f-40 kit from ebay or another website. Just curious.
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

The F40 Pocher is one of the Italian company's last and best kits...very good kit, pretty rare and crazy expensive. It has a good reputation amongst the Pocher snobs.
There are many little spin off guys who sell parts almost like a chop shop on E Bay....they split a car up and jack the prices

The kits are really cool as very little glue is used, mostly screws...so you can disassemble them relatively easily
So, you could buy an old assembled car, take it apart and remake it. That is what I hope to do in the future for some I have my eye on.
If you can get your mitts on a F40 Pocher you are my new hero
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
LifesGoodDH
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by LifesGoodDH »

I thought a UK firm stepped in and bought up the name a few years back.
I'm not a car guy but I've seen reviews of the new offerings. Look pretty outstanding... not sure about whether its worth the price tag though.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Ahh, you are right, I am stuck in the past. The Lima group went bankrupt and Hornby bought them

Here is wikki quote:

"After the Lima group went into bankruptcy the Pocher brand was bought by Hornby in 2004. In December 2012 Hornby announced the "resurgence of a myth" on the official website of Pocher. An official presentation was held on the Nuremberg International Toy Fair on 30 January 2013. Pocher presented the new 1:8 model kit of the Lamborghini Aventador."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocher
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
CJSomerset
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Somerset - UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by CJSomerset »

There was a post on one of my Facebook model groups yesterday, from a guy who had just bought a Pocher kit in a charity shop :eeek:
Like me, he had no idea what they were worth :jd:
Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints!
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

CJSomerset wrote:There was a post on one of my Facebook model groups yesterday, from a guy who had just bought a Pocher kit in a charity shop :eeek:
Like me, he had no idea what they were worth :jd:
Yes, they are stupid expensive
But look at the size of the buggers vs a 1/16 MG body
Image
They are enormous and well detailed.
I stripped down both those suspension parts in minutes to clean off the storage grime
Note knock off hubs that actually screw on and off. We will do a WIP build thread when the time comes
Beautiful cars
Image
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I just bought one of these...Testarossa 1/8 Pocher partially built kitImage
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

There is a gorgeous looking F40 Pocher kit for sale on E bay today
If I don't eat for a month and sell one kidney...it is waaay too rich for my blood

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161613011754?ssP ... 1423.l2649
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I contacted the seller of the Testarossa. He is a former hobby shop owner in his 70's who can't see well enough to build anymore
So I am super happy to take this kit and detail it up properly and share the experience in photos for him
It is partially started, but with Pocher kits, very little glue used so one can disassemble things without destroying them.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Modu22
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:17 pm

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Modu22 »

Yes, I had the Rolls Royce Alpine style Phantom about 25 years ago... gosh, is it that long ago... Must of cost about £125 at least- maybe more. Extremely good kit with plated radiator shell and chrome Spirit of Ecstasy mascot. Loads of nuts and bolts with proper spoked wire wheels, rubber tyres etc etc. Such a kit deserves a lot of attention and benefits from customisation especially at the scale- 1/8th I think. Being in the photographic trade and also running a french polishing business on the side I produced a walnut burr dash with proper instrument dials and scratch made bezels etc. I remade the seats with very fine glove grade leather fabricating all the various pleats and piping (glued- not stitched) with walnut burr picnic tables on rear of each seat. I finished the car to chassis level minus the bodywork which I think would have taken a lot of work to finish to my satisfaction. I never finished the job and I can't actually remember what happened to it... I know a kit of that potential takes a lot of work and skills to do proper justice as with most kits there are always areas where the supplied components are just not up for the job, and especially at the large scale, cry out for a more accurate representation. The Airfix Bentley is a very good base for an advanced level construction especially as these days most modelers are using airbrushes.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I have the Airfix Bently 1/12 scale awaiting me, and a few others
I have not built at the 1/8 scale, but did a 1/16 MGTC and really liked the size and ability to scratch build detail
I have bought 4 Pocher kits now of models that I like and will build slowly over the years. They are getting rarer and more expensive, but you can buy an assembled kit, take it apart and re-make it with greater detail and customization.
I have some aspirations to do whole scratch kits as well.....we shall see
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I bought a built F40 Pocher that needs some refurb
There are tons of aftermarket parts and PE kits to detail this up
Image
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Tacoman2000 »

JEALOUS!!!!!!! :violin:
I am hoping to buy one this year. We'll see
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Just keep you eyes open and watch
A partially built or re-build a fully complete one is the best bet I think as that new F40 kit was over a grand.
I will do a thread with how the Testarossa and the F40 look when I get them and we can compare notes and figure out if buying finished machines is a good idea..just let me make the screw ups and waste money first :)
I delayed the shipping from both sellers until next week so I am guaranteed back in town for delivery. Both guys were awesome modelling nuts, so we're super nice and helpful
We shall see, at least it is something to look forward to coming back from vacation
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I added a Pocher 1/8 F40 engine kit this week. I may have to pony up and buy a transkit for it as well maybe even a full metal one.
Since building the Fujimi engine, I have been drooling over pictures of the larger Pocher versions, one kit came up so I bough it
I need addiction counselling
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by privatepete »

Hi you don't want Pocher buy one of these.Pete :thumb2:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/19152551 ... rmvSB=true
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

That is a Pocher Bugatti, just what I would like
Maybe if I sell one kidney......
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

My kidneys are intact...but I did get the Bugatti 50T kit last month
It is brand spanking new in perfect condition
Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
11BravoC2
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:04 am
Location: Mansfield, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by 11BravoC2 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote:I bought a built F40 Pocher that needs some refurb
There are tons of aftermarket parts and PE kits to detail this up
Image

Paint it black and put a Gas Monkey Garage decal on it... :banana:
Ivan
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

That is what the 1/16 F40 kit in the background is for
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tacoman2000
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:48 am
Location: SL,UT........USA

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Tacoman2000 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote:Just keep you eyes open and watch
A partially built or re-build a fully complete one is the best bet I think as that new F40 kit was over a grand.
I will do a thread with how the Testarossa and the F40 look when I get them and we can compare notes and figure out if buying finished machines is a good idea..just let me make the screw ups and waste money first :)
I delayed the shipping from both sellers until next week so I am guaranteed back in town for delivery. Both guys were awesome modelling nuts, so we're super nice and helpful
We shall see, at least it is something to look forward to coming back from vacation
So Scott, I finally bit the bullet. Just ordered me up a Pocher Ferrari F40 kit (new in the box) as well as the Pocher F40 stand alone engine. Paid a little more then I wanted to, but now I have fulfilled a dream of mine. Got both from EBay from the same seller, so saved on some shipping. :banana: :banana:

Are you able to work on any of your projects while your house is being built?
On the bench: I don't have a bench right now :violin:

I'm not a complete idiot! I have pieces missing.

William
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Hey good for you man, nothing like getting your personal holy grail kit that is an awesome feeling.
I know how much you wanted this, so don't let anyone tell you it isn't a good kit or too much money. They have a wonderful presence when built up and display very well.

There is another F40 thread on the car site I am on.....he has an Autograph detail kit UNREAL
http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topi ... -transkit/

I am doing smaller stuff in the rental house. Planning the workshop and a spare bedroom for modelling space. About 5-6 months to finish so it looks like late summer/ early fall should be in the house.

Again congrats on the Pocher, you will love it
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by digger303 »

I never knew a thing about these kits until this thread...I'm AMAZED.

:crazy: :crazy:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
HamilkarBarkas
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1875
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: "Augschburg" Augsburg/Germany

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by HamilkarBarkas »

Some guys in the modelling club build a Pocher rolls royce together. Whenever they bring along some finished bits of the thing we are all amazed. Probably the coolest car kits ever made.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by digger303 »

HamilkarBarkas wrote:Some guys in the modelling club build a Pocher rolls royce together. Whenever they bring along some finished bits of the thing we are all amazed. Probably the coolest car kits ever made.

Never knew.... always looking at unattractive lumps of metal.

:th:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Pocher Kits

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

They are expensive large scale kits, often needing modification if not brute force to be assembled
First with classic cars Alfa Romeo, Bugatti, Rols Royce
Then with sports cars F40, Testarossa and Porsche 911
Now newer kits have late model Lambo's and a Ducati motorcycle

Anyhow, Tacoman do a box opening pic or video, would be really cool :thumb2:
I know how much new F40 kits are going for, so a good WIP thread is necessary !!!
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”