1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by rodrant »

So , my 3rd entry here , this time an Eduard Profipack kitin 1/48 , the Spitfire Mk.IXe

Image

Some plastic ...

Image

One

Image

Two

Image

Three

Image

Bags , and Instructions

Image

Decals , stencils , Cockpit MAsk (LOVE THIS KITS :-) ) and PE ...real nice and the usual Profipack offer from Eduard :th:

Image

Will go to this color scheme , again a lot of Metal to paint ...and seems a very nice and different variant from the usual Spitfire Camo scheme !

Image

Starting....

:cheers2:
Last edited by rodrant on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by Avgas »

:pop: I have the IXc version of this and I can't imagine it's that much different so I shall be watching and picking up tips!
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Avgas wrote::pop: I have the IXc version of this and I can't imagine it's that much different so I shall be watching and picking up tips!
I am in the same boat....will be taking notes myself...or copying Avgas' notes
:pop:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Willem
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK.
Great Britain

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by Willem »

Really nice idea.
Think John mentioned it over on facebook, but yeah, I'd think about replacing the undercarriage legs. My Mk IX for the D day build collapsed after a few weeks sitting on the shelf. SAC do a white metal set.
Sure it will be great. Good luck with the build, Antonio.

:cheers2:
Will

"A thing of orchestrated hell- a terrible symphony of light and flame."

Edward R Murrow
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by rodrant »

Willem wrote:Really nice idea.
Think John mentioned it over on facebook, but yeah, I'd think about replacing the undercarriage legs. My Mk IX for the D day build collapsed after a few weeks sitting on the shelf. SAC do a white metal set.
Sure it will be great. Good luck with the build, Antonio.

:cheers2:
thank you Will for the heads up, yes John mention that in FB ...really and after your recommendation I got the curiosity to see the landing gear...seems normal , but do not to ruin the build because of that will search for some metal aftermarket ! Great Tip ! Thank you ! :th:

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by rodrant »

Avgas wrote::pop: I have the IXc version of this and I can't imagine it's that much different so I shall be watching and picking up tips!
Twokidsnosleep wrote:
Avgas wrote::pop: I have the IXc version of this and I can't imagine it's that much different so I shall be watching and picking up tips!
I am in the same boat....will be taking notes myself...or copying Avgas' notes
:pop:
I will be glad if i can help you guys ! Thank you for following the Thread , will try to give you some secret intelligence on the kit :th:

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by rodrant »

First update , as in all plane builds , we start by the office ...and wow ...what a fantastic detail Eduard provided in this kit ...the very oposite of my last build , this makes you regain mojo Build ...fantastic detail ...

Image

All painted Mr-Color MC364 Aircraft Grey Green (really do not know why grey ...but :-) this come in their set of USAF Navy and RAF set of interior paints ...this paints are beautifull ! Spray beautifull and even using the brush is also great , they are Lacquer based , so carefull with the cleaning of the brush ...

Image

Also use XF-9 from Tamiya to pain the sides of the seat , instructions mention russet ...I do not have it so go for this color , light grey in oxygen bottles in the cockpit ...

Image

The PE instrument panel is a great added detail ! Just love the Profipack editions , you have all to get a wonderfull detailed cockpit !

Image

The compass ...goes behind the instrument panel , also soem PR to pace in the top ...nice !!!

Image

Also add the colimator ...you have two versions so carefull with that , and a lot of tiny pieces in this step !

Image

All placed

Image

Still miss the pedals , but the seat belts are great !

Image

Image

Now to start on the fuselage ...going well this build , and great kit from Eduard ! Recomend it ...still I found the metal gear for it , as I was given some advice that could be an issue ...will see if I buy it , maybe and watching for the pieces of the gear understand the issue ...Could be this all structure is heavy for the type of gear and way to fix it ...will see

Thank you for watching guys , I was checking some History from this Israeli-Arab war in 1948 and what a mess it was ...even RAF airplanes being shot down by Israeli fighters flown by Americans , B-17 bought by Israel that bombed Cairo on their way to Israel ...even the arsenal from both sides was all WWII material ( Matildas , French R-35 , Halftracks , Hurricanes , Spitfires , BF-109 (actually Avia built Planes in Checzh Republic...) what a mess , but interesting to see all the aspects that lead to sometimes the issues that still happens also in our days in that region ...and to see how Israel become an independent state ...boy they were attacked by everybody and from all sides and they gain the battle ...incredible losses of persons both sides ...war is hell !



:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by rodrant »

Ok a last update of the last steps of the work , and I took some days now as work get in the way and even must travel outside Portugal for some days , so this week went fast and with no time to place updates ...

well I finish all the fuselage work ...no issues , this kit s great !

Image

I decided for the paint to place the cockpit door that should be used for the closed presentation , but will do it with the door open in the end , some steps that could be tricky :

To build and mount the exausts , carefull with this steps and carefully check instructions ...

Image

Also this step for the tail ...actually it is better to glue the tail wings latter , as you must paint them in different color , at least in this version that I'm building

Image

This step ...careful , you should insert a long piece of plastic in some sleeve that we must place before the fuselage is glued toghether ...an advice is to first check if that piece really enter there with no effort , you could end breaking it or can't place it properly ...

Image

Primer ...all black form AK Microffiller ( some new Primer that they advice to use woth the Xtreme MEtal paints

Image

Image

well some strange reaction here and there ...

Image

Will use this Black base and the Chrome Xtreme Paint

Image

The anti galre on the nose was XF-1 from Tamiya ...

Also painted all the other pieces , white in the rudder and part of the propeller (X-2 from Tamiya ) , blue (X-4 from Tamiya ) and the propeller was XF-1 from Tamiya and the yellow XF-3 also from Tamiya

Image

Image

With the pieces to see how it was ...

Image

Image

Well something to say at this point and regarding the Chrome Color ...do not know if it was because of the Black Base , or the paint itself , this time I had issues using the masking tape ...the Chrome paint doesn't behave like the aluminium that I used in the Mirage build , this time I mask the plane in order to do the Black Stripe and the aluminium in the flaps and had become with a lot of markings , then I had to paint on top again , and went ok , but already tried some of the paints and their behaviour isn't the same , do not know if it is for the pigments , or else , , but had some different experiences using the different metal colors , but ok , even could be my mistake :-)

Image

Decals were easy to place ...good quality decals and not a lot to do ...I didn't use the stencil ones on this version

Image

Now and after some glossy varnish will try and use the Ultimate Dark wash , and to see how it goes in this metal ...

Image

and went ok , then I finish the landing gear and the cockpit door and I finish the plane , so next will be my Final reveal photos here :

http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 89#p220289

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Such a beautiful shape all shiny and silvery
You are doing a great job
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Les
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am
Location: Westminster, Colorado, United States

Re: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXe Israeli Air Force, 107th Tayeset, Ramat David Air Bases, 1954

Post by Les »

This SiG agreed with you; three wonderful builds! You were very prolific, keep at it as I enjoy looking at your build ups. :th:
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”