Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Ki61Obsessed
Private
Private
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Ireland

Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Ki61Obsessed »

So I recently got into building models. I've started on a cheap fairey battle to get into the hobby and I've really been enjoying the build process, but it seems as though if I want to make really good looking models I'm going to need an airbrush. As I'm still new to the hobby I don't really have a clue where to start when it comes to finding an airbrush and a compressor. Can anyone recommend one (preferably a cheap one) or a place to buy one from. Thanks.
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Vleugelmoer »

Hi there Ki610Obsessed,

When it comes to airbrushes buying cheap is not always the most cost effective way of doing it. If you want to get one to see if you like it a type 180 Chinese airbrush could be just the ticket for you. A Fengda or Veda branded airbrush seem to be pretty decent for the money. If you have had some experience in using an airbrush a nice entry level airbrush like the H&S Ultra, Iwata Neo or Eclips might be more up your street.

To power it I would recommend a type 186 or a 196 compressor.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
User avatar
flundstrom2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:24 am
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Contact:
Sweden

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by flundstrom2 »

So have I. I've tried to get a grip of the beginner's airbrush market, but I would end up at roughly €400 just to get started airbrushing...
What I've found - without even knowing if the stuff's good or bad, is a DYNAMIC KOMPRESSOR 3BAR, 3L TANK for ~€170, AIRBRUSH EVOLUTION SILVERLINE FPC TWO IN ONE for another €170, a hose and airbrush stand for a whooping €60...

There's got to be cheaper alternatives that aren't crap?!
Regards, Fredrik
Modelling interests: Aircraft (preferably WWII) and space
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Lysus »

My first airbrush (well, I have two, so technically it's first) was an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS; it was ~$100 USD. It's a simple dual action with a 0.35 needle and is so far able to do decent detail work and broad coverage. I picked up an Iwata TRN-2 for primer and top coats to spare the Eclipse from the clear coat duty.

The compressor was also ~$100 USD and is just a generic that often gets slapped with a brand name and thus increases the price. Same went for the spray booth, my space is compact so I needed one that I could put away and a collapsable booth was ~$80 complete with hose for venting.

So all in there was about $300 USD, so not too bad.

Some things that could help us, Ki61Obsessed, let us know where you live (generally, is it Europe, Australlia, US, Outer Mongolia?). This can help us point you to the best resource for shopping for a brush.

What's your budget?

Finally, what Vluegelmoer said is correct, cheap is ok, but you will really get what you pay for. With airbrushes, it is generally best to avoid the bottom of the barrel cost-wise since they'll be prone to breaking more easily and/or won't be all that great at their jobs in the long run, forcing you to replace them sooner or buy parts more often--this will cost you just as much money if not more over time.

Check out this series of videos from Paul Budzik:

[youtube]X2_YEoGunu0[/youtube]

There's 4 in total, three more follow this one.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by MajorTom2004 »

I started with a Vega 200 which is the same as the Revell Masterclass, that sells for about 160€. Mine was used, I bought it over Ricardo, this is a local ebay competitor. I got the airbrush for about 55€, not clean but in otherwise good condition. The airbrush is maybe not as perfect as a H&S, but you'll get quite pleasing results with a bit of practice. The compressor as Vleugelmoer said. Gives a nice set for a beginner.
Btw I still use my Vega :th:

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Thomas
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Stokesy44 »

Hi KI610

Lysus and Vleugelmoer are correct, if you can afford it, avoid the cheap end of the market, there's some rubbish out there. I can make the case for cheap as I did it myself a year ago but if you have the cash to go for something really nice.

Here's the case for cheap

I bought this a year ago



I've only used the gravity feed brush, the other one is still in the box and is irrelevant. I also bought a better hose, a quick release and an airbrush stand.

But..... It does things like this - freehand, Tamiya paint, Vallejo thinners.

Image

Just understand, its cheap for a reason. It has some little fiddly parts that will bite you on the ass if you so much as give it a sideways glance! The worst offender is the nozzle the needle tip sits in. It needs a little spanner (provided) to remove it and a common complaint is its so easy to strip the thread and then the thing's useless! I must have a woman's touch because it worked fine for me.

In all of this - if you have the money - spend it 8-)

My financial circumstances have changed recently and I now have a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR+. Its a beautiful piece of kit and, of course, its much better to use, but I had a year of fun for about £130!
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by digger303 »

flundstrom2 wrote:So have I. I've tried to get a grip of the beginner's airbrush market, but I would end up at roughly €400 just to get started airbrushing...
What I've found - without even knowing if the stuff's good or bad, is a DYNAMIC KOMPRESSOR 3BAR, 3L TANK for ~€170, AIRBRUSH EVOLUTION SILVERLINE FPC TWO IN ONE for another €170, a hose and airbrush stand for a whooping €60...

There's got to be cheaper alternatives that aren't crap?!
You won't have a problem with that AB, but you want to save a few bucks. I wouldn't pay 60 quid for a stand....check the net or make your own....and for your air supply you could just go buy a cylinder of compressed Co2 . It's very quiet lasts a long time and is cheap.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by digger303 »

Ki61Obsessed wrote:So I recently got into building models. I've started on a cheap fairey battle to get into the hobby and I've really been enjoying the build process, but it seems as though if I want to make really good looking models I'm going to need an airbrush. As I'm still new to the hobby I don't really have a clue where to start when it comes to finding an airbrush and a compressor. Can anyone recommend one (preferably a cheap one) or a place to buy one from. Thanks.

update your profile and at least put what country you live in. :th:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Maverik
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Maverik »

Like lyrus said iwata are very good i have the HP CS its great
Angelo

On The Bench

HASEGAWA F15A EAGLE AIR NATIONAL GUARD /
User avatar
Maverik
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Maverik »

Also the neo is good too by iwata its cheaper than the HP CS much cheaper dose the trick
Angelo

On The Bench

HASEGAWA F15A EAGLE AIR NATIONAL GUARD /
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Lysus »

Maverik wrote:Also the neo is good too by iwata its cheaper than the HP CS much cheaper dose the trick
Yeah, the Neo line is a great starter brush for the money it seems. Doubt you could go wrong there.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Ki61Obsessed
Private
Private
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:17 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Ki61Obsessed »

Thanks man, I'll definitely take on your advice.
User avatar
captbiggles
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:42 am
Location: Harrow, NW London

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by captbiggles »

take a look at a H&S Ultra - piece of cake to maintain :mrgreen: got mine as part of a kit of Vallejo ModelAir of 10 Camo colours for a little bit more than the AB on it's own from fleabay - suggest taking a look on fleabay :thumb2:
on the workbench:-
Tamiya Tiger1 mid-production 1/35 - 75% complete
Tamiya Challenger 1 mk3 1/35 - 25% complete
Ferrari 1/20 F1-2000 - 40%complete
Tamiya Repsol Honda NSR500 `98 1/12 - 80%complete

Kit to build:-
Tamiya 1/48 F-15C, Hasegawa 1/48 F4G Phantom II Wild Weasel, Tamiya 1/48 P51D Mustang,
Hasegawa 1/48 F-16C Falcon
FuzzSquad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by FuzzSquad »

As folk have been saying they are cheap for a reason.
I bought a Voilamart Airbrush & Compressor kit. Now the compressor is quite decent other than it moves about a bit when in use, but the airbrush last literally 2 paints before it broke.
I then went out and bought an Iwata Revolution CR, which for £90 is an excellent AB, totally night and day, and I actually enjoy airbrushing. Buying a cheap airbrush that doesn't work properly is a sure fire way of putting you off airbrushing, and in the long run in my opinion is false economy.
On the bench/cupboard are a Yamaha YZR-M1 Estoril, Honda RC213V Repsol, Revell Ferrari 458 Italia, Aoshima Lambo Aventador Roadster, Revell VW Golf....... The list goes on
User avatar
Maverik
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by Maverik »

You made the good investment in the iwata it will last you a long time I have the neo and eclipse have a look at their compressors bit pricey here in Australia but I'm happy with mine cheers enjoy
Angelo

On The Bench

HASEGAWA F15A EAGLE AIR NATIONAL GUARD /
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by digger303 »

yeah you can cheap it up with a tank compressor, but don't skimp on the AB.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
FuzzSquad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Re: Anyone know a cheap airbrush/compressor kit?

Post by FuzzSquad »

digger303 wrote:yeah you can cheap it up with a tank compressor, but don't skimp on the AB.
Exactly I couldn't honestly believe the difference a decent airbrush makes.
On the bench/cupboard are a Yamaha YZR-M1 Estoril, Honda RC213V Repsol, Revell Ferrari 458 Italia, Aoshima Lambo Aventador Roadster, Revell VW Golf....... The list goes on
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”