War team part 2

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Well since the b-17 build is on hold due to a screw up see -> http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 87&t=17661

I thought I would start on the bombers protector.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Lets see if I can not screw this one up.
Last edited by lv2bf111 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: War team part 2

Post by Stokesy44 »

This is a superb kit. I made the same kit for this SIG a few weeks ago. Different box and decals but its the same little beauty. :pop:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Stokesy44 wrote:This is a superb kit. I made the same kit for this SIG a few weeks ago. Different box and decals but its the same little beauty. :pop:
I saw that, superb job on that by the way.
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: War team part 2

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Will follow along in this :pop:
Makes me add another kit to my wish list, love those figures :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Everyone to the priming station

Image
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: War team part 2

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Love these aircraft, I've been lucky enough to have visited the sqn site at Bodney about 6 years ago there's not a lot left probably even less now but the control tower and other building where still there. Even the odd bit of graffiti :th:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

I know what you mean, I am lucky enough to live close to one of the USAF's museums. They have a few parked there if I remember correctly, I don't know about this version but sure good enough.

Also :dance: F-22 demo at the museum's air show this year.
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Alright that's enough playing in the primer time to start drying off.

Image

Primed with Rustoleum 2X primer Gray (most things) and Flat black (some things).
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
User avatar
demarcation
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Denmark
Denmark

Re: War team part 2

Post by demarcation »

The Tamiya Mustangs are fantastic kits! Looking forward to follow your build. :th:
:cheers2:

//Anders
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Small update I did manage to find time to get the chromate green color down. Done in ammo of mig 220.

Image

Went through the prime fill prime sand rotation on the drop tanks. As they will be getting an NMF finish I had to work on the seam a little. Right now the final coat of primer is on and waiting for gloss black. Done in Rustolium 2x black primer with the filler used was the Mr Surfacers

Image
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

So I decided to work on the drop tanks in order to get some experiance with the metal finishes. After using Alclads gloss black base to make it nice and shinny it got the Alclad aluminum treatment. Then using Alclad polished brass added some detail.
Image

Image
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Then just to add a little more, the bands were done using model master metalizer titanium.

Image

Image
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Ok, finally got some more done on the bomber escort. The cockpit is now all detail painted up and weathered. I ended up weathering it a little heavier then I had planned but I liked it so I kept it. I will have to say for a relative novice like myself the Ultimate dark dirt wash really is good stuff. It does its job while being very forgiving. At one point I put the wash on a bunch of parts and then proceeded to forget to take it off of the cockpit until 24 hours later and it worked out just fine.

I did leave off the decal straps as they are really flat looking and I plan to have a pilot in it anyway. So the straps are a problem for future me and screw that guy what has he ever done for anyone.

I always like to try and admit to myself when I have made a mistake and the decal application on the instrument panel would qualify.
Image

Putting it all together and giving it a few washes, including concrete, dark dirt and a home made enamel rust that was used in a few select places I thought needed some more pop to them. I Also dry brushed some aluminum color on very sparingly but it made a huge difference on the seat and the edges of the fuselage.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Man that decal sticks out like a hockey player on a basketball court.
Image
Image
Image

Then it was time to put it together which I was nervous about :?
Image

Now that I look at it I am not sure that interior green portion of the undercarriage is the correct color. :think:
Image
Image

I am going to say that went together really well, some seam lines but the fit was really nice and easy. :D

Well now off to a little sanding and filling and it looks like it really will be a "little". However I might go work on the bomber for a couple of days who knows. It might be worth it just to drive my wife nuts.
Wife: "Why can't you work on just one thing" Me: :nena:
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Finished the exhaust pipes. Metalizer paints are awesome. This was done with Steel, Burnt iron and pale burnt metal.

Image
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Plugging along putting everything together. I almost forgot to paint the recess where the exhaust goes but at the last second I caught it. The wings fit perfectly the only work I'll need to do so far is some Mr. Surfacer.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Quick update as the wings and tail is on, I am working on preparing the surface for the NMF. There are a few places that need some attention.

Image

Image

Image

I could not get the camera to focus on the wings leading edge, suddenly my sons head and youtube video about Jupiter provided the solution.
Image

I hope to have it primed tonight with any luck
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Primed, finally, in Rustolium flat black

Image
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Time to add the finish.

After a few areas were fixed using Mr. Surfacer and Ultimate black primer.
Had a slight seam on the top. To remove it I covered it with Ultimate black primer in several layers shooting it as accurately as I could and then drying it back with the airbrush. I have heard people doing this with Mr. Surfacer but it works with the Ultimate stuff as well. You do have to let it dry 24 hours though.

Then it got the Alcald gloss black treatment.
Image

Then after drying overnight, which left the gloss black just a little tacky so as to allow the Alclad to stick better but had to be careful of fingerprints, it got an Alclad finish. First with the Airframe aluminum color. Then lightly dusted over with Dark Aluminum for some tonal variation and overall effect.
Image
Image
ImageImage
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
lv2bf111
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:28 pm
Contact:

Re: War team part 2

Post by lv2bf111 »

Started putting the decals on and decided that the stripes at least should be painted on.

So I made a copy of the decal sheet and cut the stripes out and taped them on
Image

Then using the paper as a reference I masked up the needed area. Note 1 landing gear, I decided that it would be easier if I removed them but that little bugger is on good. I'm sure he will come off right when I am putting them back on.

Image
Image
Image

Sprayed the Ammo of Mig satin white directly onto the alclad. I was hoping this would not bite me. To help it I gave it an alclad gloss coat as well.
Image

After switching the masks and spraying the black Tamiya XF-1 and giving it a gloss coat sure enough the Mig paint did not stick to the smooth sealed alclad. So I masked around and re-sprayed the white in the bad spot. Nope the remask took off more.
Image

Interestingly enough it looks like the Tamiya is holding fine.

So I guess my course of action is to re-mask sand down to either plastic or primer whichever one happens and go through the whole process. I'm thinking, I should have know to do that in the first place. :doh:

Also because of handling some of the NMF will have to be touched up as well when I get the painting done.
Current builds: Shinny things: Revell 1/48 B-17 with a 1:48 Tamiya P-51B Mustang Blue Nose | Revell 1/48 Apache
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”