Lysus' Lesson of the Day

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

If you're painting details on a model meant to be displayed in profile, you will only make mistakes on the side that you wish to display.

:wall:
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Avgas »

Stand further away, they always look better.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Stokesy44 »

Sod's Law

If you're diorama base is too small for your tank you've got GS - German Syndrome

Lovely canopy, looking forward to showing all that cockpit detail. Don't scratch it, DONT SCR..... Bugger

Rationalisations

If the stabilisers don't look level with the wings its because you're holding it wrong.

Lost a part to the CM - didn't need it anyway (this line doesn't work all the time)

It looks better without the bombs and fuel tanks on it - Latin for 'Can't be arsed'

The light's not right for painting - Latin for 'The Cricket's on'
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Vleugelmoer »

A the well known Murphy ones wrote down in his laws:

The chance of a buttered sandwich falling on the floor with the buttered side to the carpet, is equally proportional to the cost of the carpet. (6th law)

The same applies here, keep in mind that you want to display this side and turn it round when you are done. that way all the flaws will be hidden by the wall ;)
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

Avgas wrote:Stand further away, they always look better.
:lol: The simplest solutions are always the best solutions.
Vleugelmoer wrote:
The same applies here, keep in mind that you want to display this side and turn it round when you are done. that way all the flaws will be hidden by the wall ;)
The funny thing is they're part of a set of like 16 ships and I already had to turn the first two around to show the "good side," so it would figure that the next two I did would have the opposite "good side."
Stokesy44 wrote: It looks better without the bombs and fuel tanks on it - Latin for 'Can't be arsed'
Funny, this made me realize I hadn't touched the drop tanks on the P-51...oops. Maybe I didn't want them, then?
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Stokesy44 »

Lysus wrote:
Funny, this made me realize I hadn't touched the drop tanks on the P-51...oops. Maybe I didn't want them, then?
You've got to put the drop tanks on a P51. Its part of P51 lore. As an escort fighter, it screams at you, put them on, put them on! I'M NAKED :o

Trouble is - drop tanks mean seam lines - a real PITA since they're round. If they're the metal type you may be ok as they're a top and bottom fit along the join line that matches the real tanks. I had the paper ones which are round tubes which are a side to side join. Nightmare. :crazy:

Mind you, that's nothing. My FW190 F8 has the usual style German tanks. Tubular with scribed and raised shaping ribs. After sanding I spent hours rescribing the ribs as removing the joins removed the rib detail and filled in the seams. :violin: As the tears ran I kept telling myself, it will be worth it, it will all be worth it. LOL
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

Lol, yeah, it's not something I'd like to skip, just a bummer I only noticed it just now. Oh well, the I've messed up enough on the P-51 build so far so it's a drop in the bucket. I prefer to do all my priming at once, coloring at once, etc. Just means I have to do it all over again for two tiny tubes ><

And no, I'm not looking forward to those seam lines...but you're right, they belong there. The tanks I mean, not the seams.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Stokesy44 »

Lysus wrote:Lol, yeah, it's not something I'd like to skip, just a bummer I only noticed it just now. Oh well, the I've messed up enough on the P-51 build so far so it's a drop in the bucket. I prefer to do all my priming at once, coloring at once, etc. Just means I have to do it all over again for two tiny tubes ><

And no, I'm not looking forward to those seam lines...but you're right, they belong there. The tanks I mean, not the seams.
Just seen your new entry in the shiny things SIG. Looks like you're in luck, you've got the top/bottom tanks so you'll be laughing on that one at least!
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by digger303 »

Lysus wrote:If you're painting details on a model meant to be displayed in profile, you will only make mistakes on the side that you wish to display.

:wall:

Place a mirror behind it... :shifty:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

When I read the title, I pictured you looking exactly like this

Image

Dana Carvey old SNL
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

The resemblance is uncanny. You might say, "isn't that special!"
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

:lol: I knew you would get that
Ahh, miss old SNL when they were funny
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if maybe I just don't get it like I used to, or if it's just not as funny.

Image
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Getting older means you are out of synch with the current pop culture
Music, movies, trends...I am not interested in most of the new stuff
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

Here's a new one:

If you have unstructured free time in the near future in which you plan on filling with bench time, relatives will announce a surprise visit. :roll:
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
MajorTom2004
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Location: Zurich Area
Switzerland

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by MajorTom2004 »

:th:

That's great!
Cheers
Thomas
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

MajorTom2004 wrote::th:

That's great!
Heh, not when it comes to making progress, or even finishing, the GTi or P-51 :nena: In-laws rarely make that possible.

Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot, but bench time isn't a great way to entertain guests. Hopefully since they come to see their grand kids and not me I can sneak away...
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Lysus wrote:
MajorTom2004 wrote::th:

That's great!
Heh, not when it comes to making progress, or even finishing, the GTi or P-51 :nena: In-laws rarely make that possible.

Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot, but bench time isn't a great way to entertain guests. Hopefully since they come to see their grand kids and not me I can sneak away...

Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Lysus' Lesson of the Day

Post by Lysus »

Twokidsnosleep wrote:
Lysus wrote:
MajorTom2004 wrote::th:

That's great!
Heh, not when it comes to making progress, or even finishing, the GTi or P-51 :nena: In-laws rarely make that possible.

Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot, but bench time isn't a great way to entertain guests. Hopefully since they come to see their grand kids and not me I can sneak away...

Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Once again, you've nailed it exactly.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”