Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by TheTroyster »

Here's a shocker - another Mustang - this time from Korea - the ole USA changed their names from a P (pursuit) 51 D to an F (fighter) 51D - the same kit as the other two I built, only an added sprue and a different decal call out - I'll do the box art version here:

Image

Image

And the added sprue:
Image
Troy :violin:
User avatar
NorthernModeller
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:39 pm
Location: Preston, Lancashire, England
Contact:
England

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by NorthernModeller »

Enjoy the build :th:
SAMI Magazine, Model aircraft and Tamiya Model Magazine contributor
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by Lysus »

Nice! One more and you have a flight!

:pop:
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Start with a real snooze fest...

Post by TheTroyster »

Build the interior :violin: - really just bores me to death because I like the look of aircraft when the canopy is closed - so it just seems so pointless as you can hardly see the interior, but hey got some extra seat belts left over from another model so maybe I'll throw those in?

Primed - of course:
Image

This part:

Image

That part:

Image

Now I get to start on the plane.

Image
Troy :violin:
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

some progress - although the weather is too nice to build.

Post by TheTroyster »

Did manage to get some work done - finished building, primed the model, and even painted the wheel wells.

However this is a strange Tamiya kit in that I've had some fit issues - namely the canopy. Therefore I'll be adding a figure ( God help me even paint something that small) and will have an open canopy (a first for me as well).

Image

Image

Image

Image
Troy :violin:
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by Lysus »

Always fun/scary to try something new. Out of curiosity, what was the fit problem with the canopy? The 1/72 canopy frame the glass bolts too was too narrow for me. I had to try to hold it open wider while it set and it still isn't perfect. I know they're different scales and you probably are dealing with a different fit issue, but it was frustrating for me to deal with on something so small.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by TheTroyster »

Lysus wrote:Always fun/scary to try something new. Out of curiosity, what was the fit problem with the canopy? The 1/72 canopy frame the glass bolts too was too narrow for me. I had to try to hold it open wider while it set and it still isn't perfect. I know they're different scales and you probably are dealing with a different fit issue, but it was frustrating for me to deal with on something so small.
Two pictures up you can see this bigger than Dallas gap between the front windshield and the rest of the canopy.
Troy :violin:
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by Lysus »

Ah. Yeah. That sucks. A lot.

Open canopy was the right choice...
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

paint job is giving me fits!

Post by TheTroyster »

So I paint the base coat - somewhat painless. Then I paint some areas a different color metal:

Image

Image

The results are a little sloppy: including my damn finger prints!
Image

Image

Image

Fine, I go ahead and re-mask all theses areas again:

Image

Image

And re-paint them:
Image

The results:
Image

Image

Image

It's at this point - after adding a gloss coat I realize I have not painted the nose of the plane in a flat black. Lesson learned.
Troy :violin:
User avatar
demarcation
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Denmark
Denmark

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by demarcation »

Great work buddy, the different color shades create a nice variation in the NMF! :th:
:cheers2:

//Anders
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Adventures in painting:

Post by TheTroyster »

Time to paint the black top part of plane. Used this really cool bendy masking tape:

Image

Image

Mask more to avoid overspray:
Image

Paint in black: calls for a semi-gloss but I just used Tamiya X1 black - maybe too shinny?

Image

Remove outer masking tape:
Image

The results are nice:
Image

Image

Next up was painting the nose and wing tips. For the plane I'm building these areas are to be done in yellow - I hate yellow. So going off the rails here and doing red!

Mask off tips:
Image

Image

The results - now this is too flat - I'll gloss that up later:
Image

Image
Troy :violin:
User avatar
TheTroyster
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Tamiya decals - a lesson in quality?

Post by TheTroyster »

I was going to do the box art Mustang - but the decals thought different;

Image


Fine no teeth, but turned out all right:

Image

Image

Image

Looks better anyway
Troy :violin:
User avatar
Les
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am
Location: Westminster, Colorado, United States

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by Les »

I am beginning to sense a theme with you and this SiG! You have been having fun with these Mustangs and I can see why. Keep up the great work. :th:
Image
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Part Three - F51 D Mustang, 1/48 Tamiya

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Great mate :th:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”