Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

All your build threads here...

Moderator: T3hGuppy

Post Reply
User avatar
MikeyKb
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by MikeyKb »

Hey! :welcome:

An old roommate gave me this kit, it belonged to his grandfather - neither of them build kits anymore, and he thought that I would enjoy it. I think it will fit perfectly into this SIG.

Here's the beauty and the lovely box art
Image

There's a lot of material online for this kit, however no aftermarket PE or interior, which is fine... it's just super basic. Here are some of the photos I'll be using as reference, as well as a few schemes I'm debating between.

There are a lot of interior shots as well, which is amazing - so, I've been contemplating 2 ideas...

Option A
Image
Image
Image

Option B...which is so, so very tempting... and Indiana Jones themed build... a black or fully silver interior and exterior
Image
Image

There's a great 360 degree view of this aircraft that the Smithsonian museum has online. You can take a look here: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/a ... 9740489000,
it's pretty cool!

I'll be taking some photos of the sprues and the kit later this evening - I had to go before getting a chance.

:thumb2: :thumb2:
Mikey
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by Lysus »

Really hoping you do a Lao-Che Air logo on the door...
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by rwsmith14 »

Great subject !! option B ! :thumb2: :thumb2:
Image
User avatar
MikeyKb
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by MikeyKb »

I'm really thinking about Option B - only issue is that it has to have a NMF... and the version from the film has a red and WHITE paint scheme. With a little artistic license, I may just replace the white with an aluminum...
Here are some photos of the movie version...

Image
Image
Image

...I'll see what I can do about finding some 1/72 decals... or maybe at the least, some letters...
:thumb2:
Mikey
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

AWESOME!!!! Cool kit and a freebie to boot :thumb2:
It will look perfectly fine Red and Aluminum and no one will complain or else :pistols:
What a gorgeous interior cabin picture....that was travelling in class
:cheers2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by Kevthemodeller »

I always wished I bought this kit as a kid, just love the aircraft.

There is a film with Jerry Lewis in, he's plays most of the rolls one of them he's a pilot of one of these.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
patrickroos
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:38 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by patrickroos »

Beautiful aircraft, and that interior is magic!!

Good luck! :th:

:cheers2:
-----------------------
In progress:
A long list of stuff to finish...

Finished stuff (I have actually managed to finish something :dance: ):
http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.p ... 88&start=0
User avatar
Les
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am
Location: Westminster, Colorado, United States

Re: Airfix Classic 1/72 Ford 5-AT TriMotor - Tin Goose

Post by Les »

You had me sold on this build when you started looking to do the Indiana Jones theme! How is the build coming along; any progress? We have less than 18 days so I hope to see what you can do with this one! :th:
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”