Hello from Essex

Introduce yourself to other forum members
Post Reply
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Hello from Essex

Post by sheppsea »

Hello There Gentleman,

Just posting a quick message to introduce myself as I am trying to get back into modelling after a few years break. I used to really enjoy it as a kid and have built a couple of models since.

I live in Essex in the UK and work for NHS as a manager, although we're currently in Consultation so that may not be the case for much longer, which is far from a sob story as redundancy would be suit me perfectly and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Throughout my model making I have never been very good at painting and I am fairly sure that every model I have built has been structurally sound, but completely ruined by the paint job, so before starting again I have actually done some research and discovered some techniques I am going to put into place, namely airbrushing and priming :) Luckily it's my birthday next week and for the first time in years I know something I actually want

I also want to get more serious generally, I had previously not been aware of weathering which is something I'm very interested in, and even with decals (which was something else I always had problems with) I never realised that a gloss finish above and below and decal solution actually helped make them look good. I am even ashamed to say that I was previously loyal to Revell enamel paints. Luckily my wife threw out all of my old paints etc during one of her cleaning sprees so I have the opportunity to start again and will be looking to buy Tamiya for airbrushing and Model Color for brushing :). Unfortunately these examples don't even begin to cover everything on which I have been going wrong previously...

I recently bought a Revell Spitfire model, although I think I will hold off building that until I have got some practice. I was thinking of going for an Airfix Messerschmitt or Revell Hurricane as my first build, although I am leaning towards the Hurricane as it's cheaper and I'm sure the first one is going to be the worse one! The instructions for the Revell are also online so I know what paints I need ahead of time and can order them at the same time as the model

I do just have one thing I haven't been able to figure out by reading around; if a colour has no equivalent in another manufacturer, is there any guidance/a calculator on how to mix paints to get that colour? For example, the aforementioned Hurricane requires Revell Dark Green 68, but according to the online conversion chart there isn't an equivalent available in Tamiya acrylics, but knowing what to mix is a bit of a mystery to me at the moment!

Also, just to say I found out about this forum through the You Tube guidance videos, which are the best ones I have found and really helped clear thing up for me, so thank you for producing them

I'll see you all around and I look forward to getting involved :thumb2:
User avatar
Icemannique
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:03 pm
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Finland

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Icemannique »

:hi: :welcome: to ISM.
Jari alias Jerry
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Paul »

Welcome to ISM :thumb2:
SteveW
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 432
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: Maldon, Essex
Great Britain

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by SteveW »

Welcome to ISM :welcome: :hi:
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Nev »

:welcome: mate :cheers2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Cymru »

:hi: & :welcome:
Check out https://www.scalemates.com
There you can check kits, get colour info and download the instructions :thumb2:
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
User avatar
arilo76
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 822
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:44 am
Contact:
Italy

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by arilo76 »

Welcome to the forum mate!!
Antonio
Stay Classy ISM
User avatar
Kingdan
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1407
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:42 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield nr Mansfield Nottinghamshire
Contact:
England

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Kingdan »

Welcome if in doubt ask


dan
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Kevthemodeller »

:welcome:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by sheppsea »

Thank you for all the welcomes everyone :mrgreen:
Cymru wrote::hi: & :welcome:
Check out https://www.scalemates.com
There you can check kits, get colour info and download the instructions :thumb2:
This looks like a great resource, unfortunately I couldn't find instruction for the Messerschmidt I was thinking of buying it any record of the Hurricane! There does seem to be a number of similar ones though so I wonder if it is one of those :)
User avatar
Les
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 am
Location: Westminster, Colorado, United States

Re: Hello from Essex

Post by Les »

:welcome: Hello and welcome to the forums!
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Introductions”