Dot filtering WW2 Olive Drab AFVs

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Dot filtering WW2 Olive Drab AFVs

Post by Stokesy44 »

Hi all

A quick question if I may. I plan to dot filer my M10 and I was wondering what the best colours were to use? I've only used the technique once before and I think I overused lighter brighter colours such as white and yellow. Maybe its a volume thing, I don't know.

Also, what sort of brush work should I employ on the horizontal surfaces?

As always, many thanks in advance :th:

:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Dot filtering WW2 Olive Drab AFVs

Post by Nev »

I used cad yellow, burnt umber, and a sap green, For a recent Sherman build. Sometimes I will use off white, cream and black but that gives a very faded look. I tend to use a largish round brush load with thinner like artist white spirit and take off most with a paper towel. Before doing downward strokes.

Adam wilder does a kv in green on his YouTube channel and dot filters are used i think it's around episode 3 or 4?

Hope helps :thumb2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Dot filtering WW2 Olive Drab AFVs

Post by Stokesy44 »

Nev wrote:I used cad yellow, burnt umber, and a sap green, For a recent Sherman build. Sometimes I will use off white, cream and black but that gives a very faded look. I tend to use a largish round brush load with thinner like artist white spirit and take off most with a paper towel. Before doing downward strokes.

Adam wilder does a kv in green on his YouTube channel and dot filters are used i think it's around episode 3 or 4?

Hope helps :thumb2:
Nice one. Thanks Nev. Found the vid on YT no probs.
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Re: Dot filtering WW2 Olive Drab AFVs

Post by GangsterNo1 »

I think I saw on one of Coen's vids that he used blue in his dot filter on a Sherman as the fading on olive drab sometimes took on a turquoise element.

On the brushwork for horizontal (flat?) surfaces I thinks its a stippling motion.
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”