Favourite aircraft model brand???

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Su35
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:39 pm
Location: Cape Town

Favourite aircraft model brand???

Post by Su35 »

So we've all had great models and poor models, but having encountered many bad models along the road, I thought it would actually be interesting to hear which brands you've had the best, and most consistent aircraft model results from? Is there a specific brand that stands out above the rest?

In my experience, Tamiya has been the one manufacturer that has probably stood out the most for consistently decent models at a reasonably affordable level, but having just gotten back into the hobby in a big way after last taking it seriously 20 years back, I see so many new brand names that I have no experience with.

What's your 'go to' brand that you try before moving to the next in line? Perhaps even your top three?

Cheers! :cheers2:
G!
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Favourite aircraft model brand???

Post by digger303 »

Not really a flyer myself, but I have noticed it can depend on sub category as well.... ie roden and wingnuts pretty well got the WW1 biplane market to themselves.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Favourite aircraft model brand???

Post by Stokesy44 »

Welcome to the forum by the way.

How long is a piece of string - there are so many variables when it comes to aircraft kits.

My thoughts since coming back to the hobby 18 months ago:

My envelope (what types I like :lol: )
Scale - 1/48 and bigger
Period - WW2 - not really a fan of jets. Tempted by WW1 (see below)
Helicopters - made several and butchered them all so they're off the table

Manufacturers and thoughts - I stress these are my thought only, based on builds I have made and WIPs / reviews I have read

1/48
New tools by Airfix, nicely detailed and well priced, build up into very nice models
Tamiya, beautiful kits, awesome fit and quality of plastic, again well priced - be wary of their older offerings though (1/48 Sea Harrier is a proper dog).
Eduard, probably the best, a little more expensive but you get superb detail and engineering along with PE goodies and multiple versions decals wise if you go for their Profipack series. The Weekend series have less goodies but are cheaper.

1/32
Trumpeter are nice and you can get good deals if you don't mind looking for them. Their Me 109s are a lovely bunch of kits, good detail and some nice PE touches.
Revell have some nice offerings but stick to their newer stuff, the Mk 2 Spit is well regarded and their Fw 190 F8 is a fine kit. Great prices too.
Tamiya is the DADDY in the 1/32 range. If you don't mind the cost, their kits are to die for. Beautifully engineered, fantastic detail and fit. Decals are hit and miss (disappointing given the cost) but easily remedied by aftermarket sets. Innovative too, ultra thin engine cowlings so the engine itself is not under scaled.
Wingnut - specialises in WW1 kits. Awesome reputation, not cheap but the kits are spectacular - I could be tempted to expand my envelope :lol:

1/24
Airfix, their older stuff can be a real challenge but as shown recently here on the forum, some awesome results are possible - see Johnj's Me 109. Best kits in the older range are probably the Hurricane and the Stuka (built both). New releases wise, the Hawker Typhoon is a thing of beauty, innovative design, beautiful detail (stressed metal skin replication is a wonder) and you get the whole nine yards, cockpit, fully detailed and plumbed engine which can be built up in different ways depending on how many engine covers you want on or off. The cannon bays in the wings are a builder and painters dream. 2 versions now out, bubble top and car door. Lots of aftermarket available too if you want to go to town. The Mossie has been less well received although its still pretty tasty if you can afford it and have room for it!
Trumpeter are a bit hit and miss, a step up from the old Airfix but suffer from inaccuracies which may spoil them for some.

So that's my 2 penny worth. There are other manufacturers out there (Hasegawa and Hobby Boss for example) but I have no experience of them so I haven't commented.
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
Su35
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:39 pm
Location: Cape Town

Re: Favourite aircraft model brand???

Post by Su35 »

Thats a great summary there, thanks! I knew the question was somewhat subjective, so was meant to be personal opinion/preference.

Cheers.
G!
User avatar
Technophobe
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:08 am
Location: If you find out, please let me know
England

Re: Favourite aircraft model brand???

Post by Technophobe »

I'm not sure that I have a favourite, though a quick check shows that amongst all the manufacturers, my stash breaks down as follows...

46x Airfix
33x Revell
37x Tamiya
16x Hasegawa
14x Italeri
18x Trumpeter
15x Eduard

This excludes all those manufacturer kits that I have, numbering 1 to 10 kits!

I do like the current Airfix releases but I believe that this is due to the subject matter and scale being my chosen topic and find that I do look forward to Eduard releases, again if the subject matter meets my interest!

Price has never been an over-ridding issue except for Hasegawa kits, which I feel are not value for money (not going to open a well worn, can of worms here) nor has scale, as I build anything from 1:144 all the way to 1:24 though the majority of my stash is 1:48 and above. It all depends on what the subject matter and if it appeals to me!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all, down here on Earth!
User avatar
shortCummins
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Cotgrave, Nottingham
Great Britain

Re: Favourite aircraft model brand???

Post by shortCummins »

I'm a big Tamiya fan however having recently built Eduard's 1:48 Spitfire, Sabre and Albatros I can highly recommend them
"I'm tall for my height" - "it looks like it was painted by a blind chimpanzee"
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Favourite aircraft model brand???

Post by Avgas »

Eduard and Tamiya for me in the detail and well engineered area. I do like HobbyBoss, I haven't built a bad kit of theirs yet and they tend not to be over engineered, ie having detailed stuff that you spend ages building then it disappears when you button the fuselage up. They also really go to town on their aircraft versions, they make loads of variants of the same aircraft. HobbyBoss and Trumpeter are sort of related, can't remember how now. I think HB make Trumpeter moulds and decided to branch out on their own, or it may be the other way round or I may be totally wrong. HK Models have rave reviews although I haven't built any of their stuff yet. New Airfix stuff is nice and at a good price point. Academy can be a bit hit and miss but their 1/48 Phantom kits are superb. Italeri are overpriced IMO. Basic kits which are generally OK but way too expensive for what they are.

TBH, compared to what was around decades ago even kits that are considered poor now would have been masterpieces back then. It's a bit like cars, as long as you stick to mainstream models you can't buy a bad one these days.
Regards, Dave.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”