Weathering a tank in 7 steps

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
User avatar
cib2265
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Weathering a tank in 7 steps

Post by cib2265 »

I've put together a short video on my process on how to build/weather armour, using my 1/48 AFV Club Tiger 1 that I finished recently. Tell me what you think, should help those of you like me who've been struggling more on the "when should I do this" part of weathering tanks! Cheers

Image

[youtube]rfA602scSVY[/youtube]
Chris Becker in Sunshine Coast, Australia
User avatar
OliveDrab
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:48 am
Location: Missouri, USA
United States of America

Re: Weathering a tank in 7 steps

Post by OliveDrab »

Great video and thanks for posting. Its always a treat to see and learn new techniques :th:
Curt :cheers2:
Morgoth62
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Re: Weathering a tank in 7 steps

Post by Morgoth62 »

Great video, thanks.

thomas;)
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Weathering a tank in 7 steps

Post by Kevthemodeller »

I'd second that very helpful :th:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Weathering a tank in 7 steps

Post by SteveAFV »

cib2265 wrote:I've put together a short video on my process on how to build/weather armour, using my 1/48 AFV Club Tiger 1 that I finished recently. Tell me what you think, should help those of you like me who've been struggling more on the "when should I do this" part of weathering tanks! Cheers
Nice video, thanks for recording that. I had two questions though. How do you polish the matt paint surface to apply decals and if you have a matt surface how does your pin wash flow? Interested as I'd like to reduce steps if I can find alternatives.
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
User avatar
cib2265
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm
Location: QLD, Australia
Contact:

Re: Weathering a tank in 7 steps

Post by cib2265 »

Hi Steve, I use micromesh to polish the matt surface for the decals, I usually spray quite thin so the paint is smooth most of the time.

As for the pin wash, im very careful not to let the wash spill out of the panel lines - I use a No.1 or No. 0 paintbrush to apply the wash.
Chris Becker in Sunshine Coast, Australia
SteveAFV
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Weathering a tank in 7 steps

Post by SteveAFV »

cib2265 wrote:Hi Steve, I use micromesh to polish the matt surface for the decals, I usually spray quite thin so the paint is smooth most of the time.

As for the pin wash, im very careful not to let the wash spill out of the panel lines - I use a No.1 or No. 0 paintbrush to apply the wash.
Thanks. I may try that out
On the bench:
Tamiya 1/48 7ton mk IV armoured car aka Humber
Tamiya 1/35 pz kpfw IV ausf D BUDDY BUILD with mincemeat http://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19653
I Heart Tamiya Stug III B
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”