Ford MUTT headlights

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Augustus »

Hi gang,

How would you do the headlights on this little model (which I've really enjoyed sticking together). There's no clear piece and on the body there's just a round bulge for them. The instructions call to just paint white or chrome but there must be a better way,

Cheers

Image

Image
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by digger303 »

can you use a dental burr to drill them out. glue foil to the back or paint then fill with a clear product...super glue or melt some clear sprue into it then sand and polish. Won't be an exact reproduction other wise buy aftermarket lenses. :scratch::
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Vleugelmoer »

Painted headlight do look a bit Toyish. Like Digger mentioned drill out use foil to fill I prefer Bare metal Foil or Leaf aluminium over household as it is thinner use thinned white glue to attach the foil. I would fill it with Transparent Water paste by Vallejo (26.591 / 30 ml) to fill. Use a sharpened cocktail or dental stick to scribe in the lines before it is fully cured.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul (The Other One)
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by digger303 »

sounds much better than Ca glue :D
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Vleugelmoer »

digger303 wrote:sounds much better than Ca glue :D
Great Minds Think Alike comes to mind Digger ;) Combining both makes for a better plan of attack :cheers2:
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Augustus »

Cheers, yes 'toyish' is what I'm hoping to avoid.

I think I'll try firstly to paint them ali/silver/chrome and then overcoat with Mig Crystal Glass. If that turns out to be toyish then it's out with the drill.
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Augustus »

Vleugelmoer wrote:Painted headlight do look a bit Toyish. Like Digger mentioned drill out use foil to fill I prefer Bare metal Foil or Leaf aluminium over household as it is thinner use thinned white glue to attach the foil. I would fill it with Transparent Water paste by Vallejo (26.591 / 30 ml) to fill. Use a sharpened cocktail or dental stick to scribe in the lines before it is fully cured.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul (The Other One)
I've been thinking about this, I've got some of that Microscale Kristal Klear, do you think this would be better/as good as that Vallejo Water Paste? I'm thinking using it as you would do to make a porthole or window.

Ive got 3 kits that I'd be using this technique on.
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Vleugelmoer »

Augustus wrote:
Vleugelmoer wrote:Painted headlight do look a bit Toyish. Like Digger mentioned drill out use foil to fill I prefer Bare metal Foil or Leaf aluminium over household as it is thinner use thinned white glue to attach the foil. I would fill it with Transparent Water paste by Vallejo (26.591 / 30 ml) to fill. Use a sharpened cocktail or dental stick to scribe in the lines before it is fully cured.

As always happy modeling and keep sticking styrene.

Paul (The Other One)
I've been thinking about this, I've got some of that Microscale Kristal Klear, do you think this would be better/as good as that Vallejo Water Paste? I'm thinking using it as you would do to make a porthole or window.

Ive got 3 kits that I'd be using this technique on.
Augustus, micro kristal clear is basically watered down PVA (White Glue) for making a clear lens without any features it does a stunning job. If you want to incorporate some detail in the lens a thicker and less fluid like the Vallejo stuff is my preferred option.
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Augustus »

Vleugelmoer wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Vleugelmoer wrote:
Augustus, micro kristal clear is basically watered down PVA (White Glue) for making a clear lens without any features it does a stunning job. If you want to incorporate some detail in the lens a thicker and less fluid like the Vallejo stuff is my preferred option.
Cheers for getting back to me, when I answered I was just wondering if Kristal Klear had any additional qualities over PVA. I now see what you meant before about using a tool for scribing on the lens. The headlight on the Mutt is only tiny and I now have some Kristal Klear so will give that a go.

Thanks again for the help.
User avatar
schweinhund227
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2627
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Ontario,Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by schweinhund227 »

Last edited by schweinhund227 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by digger303 »

have some of those , very nice . Very pricey though so I haven't bought any more.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Ford MUTT headlights

Post by Augustus »

schweinhund227 wrote:not sure if this could come in handy ???

http://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op= ... _id=145745

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47214/th ... fog+lights

have a read and drool ! :cheers2:
That first lot look very good, I'm not sure for the little Mutt but I'll bear in mind for the future.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”