What brushes to get

Post Reply
darkhelmet25
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:10 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

What brushes to get

Post by darkhelmet25 »

Howdy,

I'm just getting back into the hobby and am in the process of compiling some basic tools. What size brushes should I start out with - need to handle work such as figure painting, washes, dry brushing, etc. Also, does brand and/or material (sable vs. synthetic) matter?

Any thoughts or guidance is much appreciated.

Matt
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: What brushes to get

Post by RobertK »

For all my acrylic detail painting I use sable hair brushes, for washes (mainly oil) and drybrushing I use my cheaper synthetic ones. My brushes are, I think, from size 00 to 8 with a mix of round and flat.
Sable hair brushes might seem a bit expensive but, they last for a long time if you maintain them. Some of my sable hair brushes are around 2 years old and except for some stains on the handles they perform like new.
:banana:
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Vleugelmoer »

For detail painting definitely go for sable or kolinsky brushes. I use a 10/0, 5/0, 3/0 and 00 I prefer these to have a triangular handle or ergonomic one so that even the smallest detail can be hand painted with relative ease. For general painting I use round sable brushes in the sizes 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. In the old day's before I had an airbrush I used flat brushes to do all my block painting now these get used for decal solutions, water and solvent based putties and filler, and decal placing. These where a mix of both natural and synthetic fibers.

As with any type of painting implement cleaning them is key to get even a half decent result. Most model paint can be easily cleaned up with rubbing alcohol, however it does the job with great effect it also leaches out the natural oils of the hairs themselves and prolonged use can ruin then in a heartbeat. For this reason I tend to stick to old fashioned shaving soap, this because its high in lanoline the natural oil in all hairs for general cleaning. For enamels and cellulose paints its best to use white spirit (enamels) or acetone (cellulose).
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
Svarttjern
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Svarttjern »

Vleugelmoer wrote:For detail painting definitely go for sable or kolinsky brushes. I use a 10/0, 5/0, 3/0 and 00 I prefer these to have a triangular handle or ergonomic one so that even the smallest detail can be hand painted with relative ease. For general painting I use round sable brushes in the sizes 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. In the old day's before I had an airbrush I used flat brushes to do all my block painting now these get used for decal solutions, water and solvent based putties and filler, and decal placing. These where a mix of both natural and synthetic fibers.

As with any type of painting implement cleaning them is key to get even a half decent result. Most model paint can be easily cleaned up with rubbing alcohol, however it does the job with great effect it also leaches out the natural oils of the hairs themselves and prolonged use can ruin then in a heartbeat. For this reason I tend to stick to old fashioned shaving soap, this because its high in lanoline the natural oil in all hairs for general cleaning. For enamels and cellulose paints its best to use white spirit (enamels) or acetone (cellulose).

All those brushes would be around the 100€ mark and that's when I go for Da Vinci instead of Winsor & Newton. What brand are you using or which would be the brush baseline I really would need?
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: What brushes to get

Post by mincemeat »

I would recommend to go to a craft store, pick up a set of brushes, something like a variety pack of ten for somewhat cheap. You can muck around and learn on these brushes to get you started. No need going whole hog out of the gate. You will also get a sense of what sizes there are as well and what you prefer. As a note, "round" tip brushes will be most useful for painting. Flat brushes can be used for blending streaks. It's more helpful to use the largest size brush possible when painting, not the smallest.

My two cents.
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
Svarttjern
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Svarttjern »

mincemeat wrote:I would recommend to go to a craft store, pick up a set of brushes, something like a variety pack of ten for somewhat cheap. You can muck around and learn on these brushes to get you started. No need going whole hog out of the gate. You will also get a sense of what sizes there are as well and what you prefer. As a note, "round" tip brushes will be most useful for painting. Flat brushes can be used for blending streaks. It's more helpful to use the largest size brush possible when painting, not the smallest.

My two cents.

I have some of those albeit the real cheapo kind and I really don't like how they behave (point splitting, sagging, brush strokes etc.) the smalles things I'd have to paint are propably 1/35 and 1/32 figures and details and some 1/48 and 1/72 kits. I'm also looking at getting new paints as I'm very disappointed in Revell Aqua. Vallejo Model series seems the way to go, I'm having problems with converting the colors in the callouts to Vallejo though, any tipps on that?
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Cymru »

Svarttjern wrote:I'm having problems with converting the colors in the callouts to Vallejo though, any tipps on that?
This phone app can help http://hobby-color-converter.soft112.com Also search on-line for "paint conversion charts"
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
Svarttjern
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Svarttjern »

Cymru wrote:
Svarttjern wrote:I'm having problems with converting the colors in the callouts to Vallejo though, any tipps on that?
This phone app can help http://hobby-color-converter.soft112.com Also search on-line for "paint conversion charts"
Already using the app, but Humbrol colors ( as used in the Airfix kits I own) don't have a counterpart a lot of the time, should I just do them by eye?
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Cymru »

Yep! Just go with the colour/shade your happy with, remember its YOUR model & its you that will see it every day.
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
Svarttjern
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Svarttjern »

Cymru wrote:Yep! Just go with the colour/shade your happy with, remember its YOUR model & its you that will see it every day.
Will do that, thank you very much. Btw. which color Manufacturer do you use?
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Cymru »

Svarttjern wrote:Will do that, thank you very much. Btw. which color Manufacturer do you use?
I have a mix of Humbrol/Revell enamels, Tamiya & MR.Paint. Now that they are available direct in the UK via e-Models, I will be migrating over to Mr.Color.
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
Svarttjern
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Svarttjern »

Cymru wrote:
Svarttjern wrote:Will do that, thank you very much. Btw. which color Manufacturer do you use?
I have a mix of Humbrol/Revell enamels, Tamiya & MR.Paint. Now that they are available direct in the UK via e-Models, I will be migrating over to Mr.Color.
How are those for brushing?
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Cymru »

Svarttjern wrote:How are those for brushing?
Enamels are my choice for hand painting. Tamiya are OK but I don't thin. I haven't tried any others.
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Augustus »

From what I keep reading Winsor and Newton brushes are the best. I've read this from many reputable people/organisations and have no reason to doubt it.

I have the set of ModIFX pure Kolinsky brushes and they are very nice too. I also have some Abteilung synthetic brushes which are pretty good, not just the rounded/pointed ones but the flats as well. and a load of odds n sods for stippling etc

But I've just bought all the Tamiya High Grade brushes and very impressed. I was a bit scared of some of their flats as are made from bristle but they are great, supple and springy.

For brush painting I use nd love Vallejo Model Colour acrylics, but also some AK paints, and a few Tamiya and Mr Hobby when thinned and a drop of retarder.

For spraying I use Ammo and AK mainly now. These have to be sprayed in thin coats but provide a beautiful finish. For ease of use Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya are your best bet and very forgiving. I just don't like them due to their limited colour range, size and shape of bottle, colour correctness.
Svarttjern
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Svarttjern »

Augustus wrote:From what I keep reading Winsor and Newton brushes are the best. I've read this from many reputable people/organisations and have no reason to doubt it.

I have the set of ModIFX pure Kolinsky brushes and they are very nice too. I also have some Abteilung synthetic brushes which are pretty good, not just the rounded/pointed ones but the flats as well. and a load of odds n sods for stippling etc

But I've just bought all the Tamiya High Grade brushes and very impressed. I was a bit scared of some of their flats as are made from bristle but they are great, supple and springy.

For brush painting I use nd love Vallejo Model Colour acrylics, but also some AK paints, and a few Tamiya and Mr Hobby when thinned and a drop of retarder.

For spraying I use Ammo and AK mainly now. These have to be sprayed in thin coats but provide a beautiful finish. For ease of use Mr Hobby Aqueous and Tamiya are your best bet and very forgiving. I just don't like them due to their limited colour range, size and shape of bottle, colour correctness.

Thank you very much, that's a load of info
User avatar
Vleugelmoer
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm
Location: Geleen, Limburg, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: What brushes to get

Post by Vleugelmoer »

Svarttjern wrote:
Vleugelmoer wrote:For detail painting definitely go for sable or kolinsky brushes. I use a 10/0, 5/0, 3/0 and 00 I prefer these to have a triangular handle or ergonomic one so that even the smallest detail can be hand painted with relative ease. For general painting I use round sable brushes in the sizes 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. In the old day's before I had an airbrush I used flat brushes to do all my block painting now these get used for decal solutions, water and solvent based putties and filler, and decal placing. These where a mix of both natural and synthetic fibers.

As with any type of painting implement cleaning them is key to get even a half decent result. Most model paint can be easily cleaned up with rubbing alcohol, however it does the job with great effect it also leaches out the natural oils of the hairs themselves and prolonged use can ruin then in a heartbeat. For this reason I tend to stick to old fashioned shaving soap, this because its high in lanoline the natural oil in all hairs for general cleaning. For enamels and cellulose paints its best to use white spirit (enamels) or acetone (cellulose).

All those brushes would be around the 100€ mark and that's when I go for Da Vinci instead of Winsor & Newton. What brand are you using or which would be the brush baseline I really would need?
Sorry for my belated reply, have been out of action for a bit on the forum.. When I got back into the hobby in 2013 I got myself some brushes of Evilbay. Those where by ABC Brushes they do goodish quality sable and synthetic brushes at very competitive prices at around 30 GBP Posted a set. Getting a set of brushes at discount shops like Action, Lidl could be a bit hit and miss although I have picked up brushes there as well and they where even a discontinued line by a renowned maker in Spain so well worth there money.
Damm the glue is getting to me :crazy:

On the Bench:

1:35 Italeri Jeep Follow Me Jeep for the PTO GB
1:32 Revell F-4 Phantom for the Phantom Freaks SIG
Post Reply

Return to “Tools”