Why do you model?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Craig, that is a touching story.
I am sure your dad is watching you from somewhere, proud of the son and father you have become
You were lucky to have him for the time you did as his interest and involvement shapes your life more than you even can know.
That is the kind of dad I try to be, involved and tuned into them, though I didn't have much of it in my childhood
:cheers2: Bud, good stuff
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Stokesy44 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote:Craig, that is a touching story.
I am sure your dad is watching you from somewhere, proud of the son and father you have become
You were lucky to have him for the time you did as his interest and involvement shapes your life more than you even can know.
That is the kind of dad I try to be, involved and tuned into them, though I didn't have much of it in my childhood
:cheers2: Bud good stuff
I can echo those sentiments exactly.

I lost my Dad to cancer when I was 16. He loved history and I can remember the books he bought me as a kid and my first kits, made under his supervision of course. I can still remember perfectly how I felt one day when he came home from work and asked me out to the car. In the boot was the Airfix 1/24 Me109, bought for me as a treat. Airfix called them super kits back then and those 1/24 beauties were the best thing in the world!

I have regrets, its the things I know we have missed out on. I would loved to have had discussions with him about all sorts of things as an adult. Dad would have loved Band of Brothers and we would definitely have gone to see Saving Private Ryan together when it came out. What a moment to share that would have been. I am so grateful for the time I had with him. All my interests come from him. History, books, sports - everything. It hits me sometimes even now. But perhaps that is a good thing.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
1975GinjaNinja
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:13 am
Location: Reading, UK
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by 1975GinjaNinja »

CraigPetterson wrote:I just miss showing them to my Dad.
Beautiful sentiment and echoes how, probably, a lot of us feel - thank you for putting that into words.

Cheers

Nige
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh glue everywhere!
User avatar
sheppsea
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:22 am
Location: Essex, United Kingdom
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by sheppsea »

Unfortunately I have a much less worthy reason to model; I simply want to get good and produce something I'' pleased with at the end (still a long way off unfortunately)
Western52
Private
Private
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:17 pm
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Western52 »

Well, not sure why really apart from enjoying quiet time while doing it just listening to music or chat on the radio. Always seem to of been keen on all sorts of modelling. I remember me, my mum and dad spending weekends visiting my maternal grand parents when I was around 11 when my grandfather had had quite a severe stroke and was paralysed down his left side but could walk with the aid of a special walking stick and a leg caliper and I usually was given some extra pocket money from him which was usually spent on an Airfix or Matchbox kit (I remember looking at Revell kits as well, which were out of my price range, lol), which I would build and slap some paint on over the weekend. I also remember receiving the Airfix Hercules one christmas and being so excited at getting a kit so large, it even had the Airfix Bloodhound missile set as a payload and another year getting the Tamiya Lancaster all this was back in the 1970s.
I was into model railways for years and years in a big way but never got round to building my own layout due to space but was involved in some club layouts for about 6-7 years. Gravitated away from that and into RC planes following a house move and change of job in 1988. Then the rot really started when I started model engineering, building several stationary steam engines and a five inch gauge English Electric type 3 diesel electric (B.R. class 37) which was battery powered. Then met my wife rather late in life (I was 40) and a few years later my one and only child came along (Adam) so the lathe and milling machine have not been used in anger since around 2003. I still have two part built 5 inch gauge live steam locos to finish one day. My late father was an engineer so he helped me a lot in setting up machining jobs. I do have a memory of him building the Airfix Bristol Superfreighter when I was very young but he wasn't a modeller by any means.
But somehow these plastic kits keep pulling me back, I think I just like to feel my hands doing something creative. I am terrible in that as soon as I start painting a model I start assembling another and never really finish the other. I always seem to make some sort of excuse to myself as to why I put it off. Nearly finsihed a Tamiya Sherman though. Just got to put a flat coat on it and try my hand at some weathering.
Regards to you all, Mark
The voices are back. Excellent!
User avatar
GarethCrossland
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:02 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Why do you model?

Post by GarethCrossland »

I guess it's my Dad's fault. He used to build R/C planes and take me with him to stand in a freezing cold field somewhere watching the planes buzz about. I used to get his empty cigarette packets out of the bin and make an R/C transmitter out of it by sticking a couple of matches in it for the control sticks and aerial. In fact my dad used to build all sorts of models. Cars, boats, bikes, tanks you name it. Another very important influence was this T.V. programme that we used to watch called Airline. It was about a fella that had been demobbed after the end of the second world war and started his own air transport business. That's where I fell in love with the most beautiful machine I'd ever seen. It just looked so right in my eyes. In the program it was always breaking down, but that's not stopped anyone from loving the Millennium Falcon, has it? It was the Douglas C-47 / DC-3. I've probably made more of those than all the other types put together. I think it's nice to kick back, relax, turn the radio on (low), forget about the world and all your worries for a few hours and turn some plastic into a little aeroplane or whatever. It's what my Dad used to do.
Image
Nothing, nada, nix.


Image
Dapol Stephenson's Rocket (C046) This may actually get finished... then again it might not...
Svarttjern
Private
Private
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Svarttjern »

I always admired those finely detailed and painted miniatures, but always thought I could never do that. After falling into depression I was searching for something to calm me and to put focus on to get awy from the racing thoughts in my head. And modeling just worked for me,
Davethepitch
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:40 pm
Location: Staffordshire
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Davethepitch »

It has now dawned on me why I make models and that is to make people laugh at my builds.

Dave
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Avgas »

It has now dawned on me why I make models and that is to make people laugh at my builds.
I'm the same but I see it as a calling. If people didn't laugh at my builds then what would I have in life? I would maybe describe the history of manhole covers through the medium of dance but it wouldn't have the same immediacy as 'LOL that's sh*ite'. We all have our raisin d'etre and mine is to build crap models which in it's turn makes others feel good about theirs. See, it's a public service.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
SiDennis
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Telford, Shropshire
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by SiDennis »

It seems to be a common theme with most of the posts of "i built models with my dad when i was younger" and it’s no exception for me. Some of my earliest memories are me and my dad going down to the LMS and buying kits, my dad used to say “ don’t tell your mother!”, we weren’t very well off so I think my dad felt a bit guilty for spending money on models. We built and painted a 1/72 Airfix Bulldog dyed the paint by holding it in front of the gas fire! I got an Airfix HMS Illustrious for my birthday when I was 7, loved building that. As with most people as I got older I was more interested in playing football and girls. I joined the Armed Forces in 1996 and after some PTSD issues I was chatting with my therapist when he asked me what I did to relax? I told him nothing really just drink!, he asked if there was something from my past I used to enjoy doing? The image of me and my dad came to me so I said I liked to build models, went home and ordered a kit and the rest they say if history. I can be brutally honest and say that modelling has probably saved my marriage and my life, I am now able to relax and unwind without a drink (I still have a couple at the weekends with my mates) and as I now have a desk job and am no longer working on aircraft I find it’s the ideal way of keeping my hand skills going.
I now try and get my children involved building kits, every Xmas eve I get a couple of Airfix starter kits and build them up for the kids to paint, great to see them concentrate for a couple of hours and the sense of achievement on their faces when they have finished.
Simon
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Good for you Rocky, awesome to hear that modelling has helped with the PTSD and avoid alcoholism
Nothing wrong with A drink, just not a dozen
Cheers bud
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
63bp
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by 63bp »

Well I don't really but want to. I have been collecting them for about 5 years and have quite a few in the stash. I used to make them all the time when I was a kid but don't want to stuff these up.... lol. Excuses excuses. One day I'll start....
You guys tbough, are inspirational. Love your shows and flicking through this forum.
I wish Sydney had a hobby scene like you seem to have in the UK.
That model show looked awesome.
Anyway just want to say G'day and thanks for.tbe entertainment. One day I'll build one of these kits and have something constructive to say.
Thanks for listening.
Brad.
User avatar
jjab99
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 2:01 pm
Ireland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by jjab99 »

I have a long term disability and as it worsens over time I find myself less and less able to do the things that I used to do. I have mobility issues and so I needed a hobby that involves sitting down and not too much heavy lifting, so I turned to kit building / modelling. I work at a very slow pace and for the past few months I was out of action and only managed to build one or two kits, but I am feeling a little better and hope to bash out a few kits over the Christmas and new year break. It's a very enjoyable hobby and the online community is so helpful and kind that it seems like I have hundreds of friends to ask advice and offer help to. Many thanks to you all for making my disability into an opportunity to become part of something great.
If all else fails, Have Fun!
GollyPo
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Re: Why do you model?

Post by GollyPo »

jjab99 wrote:I have a long term disability and as it worsens over time I find myself less and less able to do the things that I used to do. I have mobility issues and so I needed a hobby that involves sitting down and not too much heavy lifting, so I turned to kit building / modelling. I work at a very slow pace and for the past few months I was out of action and only managed to build one or two kits, but I am feeling a little better and hope to bash out a few kits over the Christmas and new year break. It's a very enjoyable hobby and the online community is so helpful and kind that it seems like I have hundreds of friends to ask advice and offer help to. Many thanks to you all for making my disability into an opportunity to become part of something great.
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a chronic pain condition called CRPS, have had for 12 years no ( :wtf: ) and modelling is an excellent distraction and something I can do in a limited amount of space. I'm pretty much housebound, as I have knackered knees that are agony to put weight on and motorised transport, something to do with the vibrations I think, is like turning up the volume knob on a pain amplifier. Sort of... :bash: Making small stuff keeps me sane(ish) and motivated. I think it would be a great idea for hospitals to have modelling rooms, now there are no smoking rooms and everyone has a TV by their bed. Time passes so slowly when you're in those places unless you have something to distract you. Glad to hear it's helping you too, JJab99. :thumb2:
portglasgow
Private
Private
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:39 pm
Location: Port Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by portglasgow »

I used to sit with my Grandad and watch him build aeroplanes, so I've had the smell of polycement in my nostrils for a long time!

I've always been a military history fiend, so it seemed like a natural step to take.
User avatar
Belmosan
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 pm
Location: New York State
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Belmosan »

I don't know. But I still like it.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBelmosan

On the bench:
AMT/Round2 1/1400 Enterprise clear
Airfix 1/72 German E-Boat (Circa 1975)
User avatar
Monte
Private
Private
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:31 pm
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Monte »

I started building models when I was around 6 or 7 with my Dad. I kept up with it until around my late teens, that's when I discovered women. Not long after that I discovered beer and then the effects beer has on women. :thumb2: So needless to say my modeling activities were greatly curtailed. After I settled down in my 30's I picked up the airbrush again and haven't looked back since.
Nothing is "idiot proof" because they will always build a better idiot.
63bp
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 8:03 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by 63bp »

Monte, honesty like that is hard to find.
You have made my day. Lol.
Wish I had found this earlier. Im svared to start.
My early modeling career was build it quick, paint by brush, terrorize pets with constant straffing. Stick a bunger in it and blow it up.(The model that is)
Brad
817 SQN RAN
12 SQN, 486 SQN RAAF
1/15 RNSWL
User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Fridgy »

63bp wrote:Monte, honesty like that is hard to find.
You have made my day. Lol.
Wish I had found this earlier. Im svared to start.
My early modeling career was build it quick, paint by brush, terrorize pets with constant straffing. Stick a bunger in it and blow it up.(The model that is)
I'm not sure what would have been more fun.... building them or blowing them up :whistle:
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Fridgy »

I model because I enjoy the distraction it gives. It helps with my depression, just like geting out on my bike does, but I can also do it in the middle of winter when riding is just uncomfortable
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
mountaineermodeler
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 am
Location: West Virginia, USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by mountaineermodeler »

I built a model of USS Missouri with my dad at our kitchen table when I was 7 or 8. I started doing them on my own after that through the rest of my childhood. Its always been with some interest in the history of a military machine or a fantasy about owning and driving some super or muscle car. Got back into it recently as a much older adult and bought an airbrush to make a better end result. Most of the stuff I built as a youngster has been destroyed by time, moves and mom's dust rag but I still have that old battleship model on top of a bookcase in the man cave. Somehow it has survived.


Image
Last edited by mountaineermodeler on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matthew Moore Mountaineer Modeler

Montani Semper Liberi
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

mmoore06 wrote:I built a model of USS Missouri with my dad at our kitchen table when I was 7 or 8. I started doing them on my own after that through the rest of my childhood. Its always been with some interest in the history of a military machine or a fantasy about owning and driving some super or muscle car. Got back into it recently as a much older adult and bought an airbrush to make a better end result. Most of the stuff I built as a youngster has been destroyed by time, moves and mom's dust rag but I still have that old battleship model on top of a bookcase in the man cave. Somehow it has survived.
Really nice story
Wish as still had ANY of my childhood models let alone one as meaningful as your battleship
Welcome to ISM
Last edited by Twokidsnosleep on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
krusty69
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:56 am
Location: phoenix az
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by krusty69 »

that's cool that you have something from when you were a kid. all my stuff has been lost or left with people who have lost it.
I mainly model to keep busy at night, better to keep the mind and hands working than to spend an entire night staring at the stupid tv
bob
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

nice one :th: :th:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
ColinW
Private
Private
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:44 pm
Location: Ashley Green, Bucks
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by ColinW »

Like many I started as a child when model kits were plentiful and could be bought almost anywhere. Once I started work, along with other time consuming hobbies, I just made the occasional model. Stopped when we had kids. Now they are both at uni I wanted something that would fill the spare time. Modelling seemed ideal. Can spend as much or as little time as I want. Not very good at it, but learning with every kit.
Black73Cat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Sherwood Forest
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Black73Cat »

Hi,

New to the forum and to modelling...this thread caught my eye.

Apart from a few sketchy attempts at kits when I was a kid, my modelling experience is almost nil. It's always appealed to me though and I've often had to resist temptation to buy a kit as an adult. Never really believing that I'd have the patience or skill to do it.
I did have a crack at building a model railway a few years back but the arrival of a second child cut the project short. And anyway, the trains weren't as interesting as I'd expected!

So why have I started modelling now? Well i fell down a rabbit hole when I bought my lad a starter kit for his birthday...did a bit of research and before i knew it, I was watching build videos and wondering where i could fit a workstation.
Then the nitty gritty comes...I'm a full time stay at home Dad with long term issues around anxiety and depression. In just a short time, I'm already feeling the benefits from building my first kit. Not only is it relaxing to be in my own space for a while but the concentration and learning is really helpful in keeping me calm and focused.

It's safe to say that I've got the bug now...bought a job lot of.kit from a mate, incl compressor and airbrush. Now im on the hunt for a shed to hold a "proper" work space...

Thanks for reading...
Graeme Pearson
Started modelling March 2017...learning all the time.

YouTube
Www.YouTube.com/Black73Cat
I'm on Instagram as Black73Cat_Models
https://instagram.com/black73cat_models
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Black73Cat wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:33 pm Hi,

New to the forum and to modelling...this thread caught my eye.

Apart from a few sketchy attempts at kits when I was a kid, my modelling experience is almost nil. It's always appealed to me though and I've often had to resist temptation to buy a kit as an adult. Never really believing that I'd have the patience or skill to do it.
I did have a crack at building a model railway a few years back but the arrival of a second child cut the project short. And anyway, the trains weren't as interesting as I'd expected!

So why have I started modelling now? Well i fell down a rabbit hole when I bought my lad a starter kit for his birthday...did a bit of research and before i knew it, I was watching build videos and wondering where i could fit a workstation.
Then the nitty gritty comes...I'm a full time stay at home Dad with long term issues around anxiety and depression. In just a short time, I'm already feeling the benefits from building my first kit. Not only is it relaxing to be in my own space for a while but the concentration and learning is really helpful in keeping me calm and focused.

It's safe to say that I've got the bug now...bought a job lot of.kit from a mate, incl compressor and airbrush. Now im on the hunt for a shed to hold a "proper" work space...

Thanks for reading...
Good for you :thumb2:
There are a number of gents who use modelling as a bit of therapy and it can be very therapeutic
Start slow, don't be hard on yourself and post a build thread to show your progress and get some positive reinforcement, help, tips and make some friends
Avoid the ever ballooning stash and tools trap...good god I am pushing almost 150 kits!!!!
:cheers2: bud
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Black73Cat
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Sherwood Forest
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Black73Cat »

Hehe!

Thanks. I've already started to build a stash...6 kits lined up and i can't exactly promise that i won't buy any more! 😂

I've started a build thread here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=21703
For my Harrier.

Progressing fairly well...
Graeme Pearson
Started modelling March 2017...learning all the time.

YouTube
Www.YouTube.com/Black73Cat
I'm on Instagram as Black73Cat_Models
https://instagram.com/black73cat_models
Dragon64
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Dragon64 »

i have been modelling for about two - three years now don't have a specific genre. i do what ever takes my fancy just about to start Tamiya 1:350 Bismark. Read its a good starter ship. i do enjoy it when i get time just to sit and model away and listen to some music. i'm glad i took the hobby up.

Tommy
User avatar
ToddS
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:15 pm
Location: Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by ToddS »

Started building in grade school, wasn't very good at it :o. Got away from it during high school and didn't pick it up again till boutique 10 years ago.
I needed something to quiet my mind, fill spare time and keep me out of trouble. I bought a kit, and that started the track to get back into the hobby.
While I'm in "my little space", it allows me to let my gard down and clear my mind. (Sometimes it takes some of us quite a bit to find this solace)
I stated in the beginning I wasn't vary good at it, in most ways I'm still not. But it isn't always about the master modeler aspect! One needs to keep life at bay and just enjoy the journey of the build
No one said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it..
04Stefan07
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:43 am

Re: Why do you model?

Post by 04Stefan07 »

My dad used to model when I was a kid and even before I was born. He was into 1/32 Aircraft and we have two shelves at home dedicated to those models. I remember when I got into the hobby he gave me the tools he worked with. It was a plastic container which had a crap load of Humbrol Oils, some Humbrol brushes (made in West Germany!), hobby knife, Revell glue, Humbrol glue in a tube and a Tamiya cement stick.

The aircraft he made look amazing for the tools he had and worked with at the time (no airbrush, all hand painted). Over the years some parts have broken, snapped or are missing and the decals have dried and cracked or turn to dust. One day I would like to restore them.

It's amazing to think the very little tools he had to make so many masterpieces and these days we are flooded with so many tools from airbrushes to decal softeners to photo etch tools.

The hobby has come a long way.

So that is one of the primary reasons I model. Another reason is also because I just love the thought of making a diorama or vehicle or a famous scene in history in scale. It's also very relaxing (but not when something won't freaking glue together or you have such small parts to work with!).
User avatar
Relic
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:40 am
Location: NSW, Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Relic »

That's a good question for me, because I am currently doing my first model.
It is also a scratch model, I think it's called that, when you have no plans or schematics.

But I can tell you this, I am enjoying it very much. The whole project is full of challenges, problem solving, designing, apprehension, risk taking, and immense satisfaction when it works out.

I can see myself starting a new interest in creativity, especially large dioramas.
My current project is a working model of a local lift-span bridge, for the Ballina Naval & Maritime Museum.
After I finish this project I am hoping they will let me build a model diorama of the Port of Ballina (of the mid 1900's).
Peter.
expc624kevneale
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Why do you model?

Post by expc624kevneale »

I finished when my daughter came along 36 years ago with every intention to restart a year or so later then alonge came my son and I never re started. I had a very serious road accident in 2012 which left me with mobility disability and was off work over 12 months so I got some stuff together Humbrol paint glue drushes etc and a Revell 1/72 u boat which rekindelď the flam.
Made 3 U boats and HMCS Snowberry all1/76 scale then stopped againwhen I went back to work
I had a fall in 2015 due to my mobility and had to finish work totaly needed somthing to do as I now had nothing but time on my hands.
So I set up a model station in the courner of the dinning room got into 1/72 and 1/144 ships. Found ISM when looking through web saw Pauls first bf109 build got my first ever airbrush etc and thats it. Hook totaly.
War and piece int it!
paulr
Private
Private
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Why do you model?

Post by paulr »

Like lots of the other members I made models when I was younger.

Right now I have been back in the hobby a couple of years, and I have probably trashed more builds than I have completed.

I just find it a good way to spend free time. It's creative, teaches you things and gives you a sense of accomplishment....

....I don't recall it being this expensive when I was 10 though :jd:
deniall83
Private
Private
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by deniall83 »

I find it incredibly relaxing/enjoyable to build a kit. If it goes wrong however, I get very frustrated. I'm a bit of a perfectionist in that respect. I don't have a huge interest in the things I build (cars, military stuff) so have no real desire to display everything but I really enjoy the process.
Softscience
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 3:12 am
Location: DC-ish
Poland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Softscience »

I honestly don't know. Its supposed to be relaxing and therapeutic, but I often find it to be the source of much consternation and frustration (my work is never as good as I envision it to be).

That said, I've always liked putting things together. Something satisfying about that. When I was a little boy I dreamed of building houses, later robots. My professional life has gone in an entirely different direction, but I'd still be thrilled to get a chance to build either.

but models. eh...little tanks and airplanes look pleasing to my eye. Everyone appreciates a good miniature. Even the people that think modelers are nothing but a bunch of stinky nerds (I bathe daily, by the way). Its why people do Bonsai, and stop motion animation, and most art, I suppose,

And I'm sure there is some psychological something or other about conquering or owning subject by building a miniature version of it.

Whatever. Its fun, even when I feel like throwing the kit against a wall in a rage.
Pistol
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Pistol »

After I retired I wanted a hobby that was new, creative, challenging and rewarding. I have a particular interest in WW2 aircraft and wanted to somehow combine the two. What a perfect solution! The first attempt went in the bin and it's been a huge learning curve since then. After trying brush painting & moving onto a Mickey Mouse airbrush with rattle cans I decided to do things properly & invested in a 2 day modellers Airbrush course. Having completed this I started to slowly progrss and I'm loving it. My goal is to build the best Harvard I possibly can as my late father learned to fly in one in WW2 in Canada. I want to replicate one in some old photos I have of him proudly stood by the aircraft at the age of 19. I've bought one in 1.48 and it's on the shelf waiting for me to acquire better skills building other aircraft. With the help of the tutorials and knowledge on this brilliant site I am really enjoying the journey. Thanks all.
Pistol
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:01 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Pistol »

After I retired I wanted a hobby that was new, creative, challenging and rewarding. I have a particular interest in WW2 aircraft and wanted to somehow combine the two. What a perfect solution! The first attempt went in the bin and it's been a huge learning curve since then. After trying brush painting & moving onto a Mickey Mouse airbrush with rattle cans I decided to do things properly & invested in a 2 day modellers Airbrush course. Having completed this I started to slowly progrss and I'm loving it. My goal is to build the best Harvard I possibly can as my late father learned to fly in one in WW2 in Canada. I want to replicate one in some old photos I have of him proudly stood by the aircraft at the age of 19. I've bought one in 1.48 and it's on the shelf waiting for me to acquire better skills building other aircraft. With the help of the tutorials and knowledge on this brilliant site I am really enjoying the journey. Thanks all.
[/quote]
Graham910
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:32 pm
Location: Ayr,scotland
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Graham910 »

used to do it as a kid up to my twenties then took a break but came back after a bleed on the brain to retrain how to build kits again but still get times when I don't like modelling then with the death of my mother three months ago am going one stage at a time a long journey ahead
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by MrBowcat »

I kinda got into modeling by accident. Like many, I had hammered some airfix kits together as a kid (which promptly got shot up in the garden with an airgun).

However, at the end of last year during the break between Christmas and New Year, I was sitting at home with the kids, wifey was at work. I was bored and decided to head out into the fog, kids in tow, to my local Hobbycraft, looking from something to do. I eventually found myself at the back of the store in the kit department, and took a fancy to a Tamiya Challenger.

Loaded up with said kit, paints, tools, etc I headed home and set about building it. I was hooked, and in-between now and then have completed a few models, improving my skills along the way to the point that I am currently attempting to build a Bradley with full interior.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
TommyKillander
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2776
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Why do you model?

Post by TommyKillander »

Good question!
Sometimes I ask that myself - especially when things go south :D

After thinking about it I came to the conclusion that I like the combination of doing research and trying realise that into a model. But there are also aspects of the building craftmanship and artistic expression like painting and weathering that I enjoy aswell.

After building cheap kits badly as a kid I got back into the hobby when I turned 50. I got a Revell 1/72 Tunnan from my kids as a Fathers Day present and I found Pauls Aircraft Tutorial series on YouTube. The next day I went to one of the local hobbystores and bought the basic tools and some paints. I build the model and it model looked like crap, but I decided to keep it in my portfolio anyway because it's the first one :)

For me it's not so much stress relief (even that it was the main motivation for me when I got back into the hobby) - I have found out that I can't build when I'm stressed out or tired. I got no patience and the results get bad and I get grumpy :lol:

I have always loved aircrafts (especially jets) and tanks so that is my main line of subjects and when I start a new kit I look forward to doing the research as much as building the model.

The best aspect of this hobby is the generosity is sharing ideas and supporting each other. There are some "duck-heads" out there for sure, but I try very hard to not be one of them.

Also, there are always new things to learn in this hobby, that's why I love it!

:cheers2:
Tommy
User avatar
Gregwatters
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:23 pm
Location: Yorkshire meltham
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Gregwatters »

For myself, I was really into warhammer etc and love games workshop, but I loved the vehicles the most rhinos dreadnoughts etc. Then I discovered sex drugs and rock and roll :ooops: . I rediscovered \ discovered model making by pure accident I wanted something cool for my new dining room table about 6 months ago, I obviously didn't want flowers or a shiny new vase Andi stumbled upon the 900 piece revell pirate ship and thought that seems like fun and would look very good on my table. At least if I could recreate the quality of finish in the picture............... And therein lies the start of my new obsession \addiction several hundred pounds later and i have converted myself a workbench area and spent spoo many hours trying to perfect what I'm doing the only trouble is I have entirely covered and converted the said dining room table into my work bench!!!!!!!!! Anyway loving doing this modelling thingy :D
i just like throwing paint at plastic and chilling at my desk
:apc:
User avatar
darrengreenwood
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:50 am
Location: Manchester, Lancashire
Contact:
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by darrengreenwood »

I model or plastic tickle because I suffer with Mental Health issues and its the best form of medication I can get, as when I'm focused on my project I have nothing else to dwell on. Its very therapeutic why isn't it available on Prescription? lol
Darren

My model. My rules
GMahaffey
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by GMahaffey »

I used to do model aircraft back when I was in junior high and a bit into high school. Got out because of another hobby of mine and just lost some interest. I honestly don't recall what got me back into it but I got the itch to get into it for one or two months being I was out of school for summer break in college. Been at it for 1-2 months and already finished 4 models and another trashed in the middle due to making a major mistake building it.
adrian1980
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am
Location: East London South Africa
Contact:
South Africa

Re: Why do you model?

Post by adrian1980 »

I use to model when I was in my teens, life got to hard then, had to drop out of school to get a job and help the family, now that I am diabetic, I was urged to find a form of relaxation, that was about a year ago, so I got myself a model ( academy F15 eagle 1/48) and I was hooked again, and going balls to the wall when I can :lol:
xSCAR45
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:04 pm
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by xSCAR45 »

I've always liked to build things. When I was a kid I used to go into the woods with friends and build forts out of fallen tree branches. As a teen I got into car models quite a bit. Always a lot of fun with a can of paint. Now that I'm an adult I went ahead and bought an air compressor and an airbrush and take the hobby a bit more seriously. I'm just getting back into to it so I'm a novice with high hopes of becoming as skilled as the rest of you. :bow::

Hopefully, in time, I will achieve my goal and become a talented artist in the art of scale modeling. :thumb1:
kpisnuts
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 9:05 am
Location: Halstead, Essex
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by kpisnuts »

I've always built models (as far as I can remember back anyway) I started in plastic kits then in my teens I got into scratch building and that's pretty much all I did(ships mostly) then 4 or 5 yrs ago someone bought me an academy tiger tank I loved the relative quickness of the kit (took me between 18 months and 3 yrs to scratch build a ship, the longest it's taken me to build a kit is 4 months not done a scratch build since the tiger, in fact I gave an unfinished sternwheeler to my brother, I don't think I will go back to scratch building.
Art
Private
Private
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:04 pm
Location: Haarlem

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Art »

It gives me rest. I can focus, build something and try to make it my own. I can't find rest or focus in other things. Just love having that for myself... No kids, wife or friends around. Just me, plastic, glue and paint
Dragon 1 / 35 Brummbär w. zimmerit
GMahaffey
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by GMahaffey »

darrengreenwood wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:46 pm I model or plastic tickle because I suffer with Mental Health issues and its the best form of medication I can get, as when I'm focused on my project I have nothing else to dwell on. Its very therapeutic why isn't it available on Prescription? lol
The prescription would say plastic crack.

Officer: Do you do drugs?
You: No, but I do take a prescription drug.
Officer: What is it?
You: Well, you could call it crack, plastic crack.
User avatar
DonLang
Private
Private
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Why do you model?

Post by DonLang »

I'm starting again.
Builded my first model in the age of 6 - a model of a Sea Vixen in 1:72.
And builded models for almost 20 years but then I lost interest in it / found a new hobby: Girls)
Now I'm 60 years old, early retired and sitting in a wheelchair, so now I NEED something to do, so why not modeling again.
But I could do some help...
Best /cheapest compressor and best airbrush with a trigger (like the Iwata NEO TRN 1)??
Hope you can help an old fart like me.
On the bench:
1:48
SMER Tiger Moth seaplane S-15 in The Danish flying Corps.
SMER Bristol Buffalo in Danish Flying Corps.
Kinetic F-16B ET-210 RDAF Edwards Air Base
1:72
Italeri Hawker Hunter

ET-210 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otp4DaFpyCk
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”