Rivet Counting ???

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Rivet Counting ???

Post by privatepete »

Hi, by doing the best possible job you can building & painting your models regardless off skill level or money/time spent, research etc dose it make you a rivet counter ??? and am I one ?, or are you one ? (I'm getting a bit of a complex over this now) please be honest. :cheers2:
User avatar
ElCapitan
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:59 pm
Location: Glasgow
Scotland

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by ElCapitan »

I wouldn't say so, i think you just want to do the subject justice. Ive seen some inbox reviews on other forums where people were comparing the kit side by side with pictures of the real thing and getting genuinely upset about even the slightest differences. Some forums are full of people like that - they're not modelling for the right reasons if you ask me, they're only looking for things to moan about.
Rob
ElCapitan
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by Nev »

No mate. That term is more accurately used to describe someone who looks at builds then shoots them down because you have the incorrect number of bolts on a wheel, or the wrong scale rivets etc. You are not that person but what is known as a detail builder. :thumb2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by Stokesy44 »

privatepete wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:41 am Hi, by doing the best possible job you can building & painting your models regardless off skill level or money/time spent, research etc dose it make you a rivet counter ??? and am I one ?, or are you one ? (I'm getting a bit of a complex over this now) please be honest. :cheers2:
Pete

Nothing in what you've written describes what I think is the commonly accepted definition of a rivet counter. Wanting to do the best possible job on a kit is just common sense, after all, you've paid for it (in most cases). Research is also good because we know that sometimes the kit manufacturer doesn't get it right, colour scheme wise or type wise. If you have the skills to correct such things then why wouldn't you?

The commonly accepted term is really for someone who picks holes in others work as a way of belittling their efforts.

As for being obsessive over details, I have no issue with someone who goes to the Nth degree for realism - good luck to them - its not everyone's way of doing things but if that's what floats their boats then good luck to them.

There's room for all types of builders in this hobby. We're like the old army song, 'Bless 'em all, bless em' all, bless the long and the short and the tall.'
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
GangsterNo1
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 am
Location: Manchester, UK
England

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by GangsterNo1 »

What Stokes44 said. Couldn't agree more.
On the Bench: Waiting to get started
Steam ID: Gangster No:1
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by Tomcat64 »

Not much to add to all of the above Pete - nothing wrong with doing the best possible job you can.

As the others have said for me a rivet counter is looking for faults in the tiniest details and then laying into others when they've not picked up on it.

Like I said on the quiz thread - I'm in this for fun but I'll still try and do the best job I'm capable of even if it isn't completely 100% historically or technically accurate.

Edited to add that I've only ever seen you offer constructive criticism in an attempt to help the builder, my opinion is that a real rivet counter generally criticizes to make themselves feel superior. I realise that's a sweeping generalisation but that's based on my browsing experience around the web.
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by privatepete »

Thanks for the input guys, I would rather be known as a "detail builder" please, none of my builds are completely 100% historically or technically accurate yes I do research but I hope I'm not being obsessive over details , being ex REME probably does not help me in this instants for vehicle detail. I just try and do the best possible job I can and I hope I've never picked holes in someone work ,I don't do the extra work to feel superior or to show off, believe me I do known my down fools and limitation :oops: and there are meany ,I real like doing the extra work plus its cheaper for me than buying all the upgrade stuff may be not as good. I'm in this for fun and to lean and that is all so I will not be posting anymore builds threads on here maybe just the finished job sorry all the trouble I have caused. I don't think forums are the place for me so I'm disappearing for a while, well along while actually.:cheers2:
Last edited by privatepete on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by RobertK »

A person obsessive about small details, cannot enjoy the general beauty of a model kit, and rarely builds anything themselves. And add a bit of rudeness, that's how I would call a rivet counter.
:banana:
User avatar
spock1701
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:58 pm
Location: Upstate New York
United States of America

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by spock1701 »

I am sorry to say that all this is my fault. I said that Pete was a rivet-counter because I thought that the term just meant someone who, well, counts rivets and tries to add a lot of extra detail to their builds and make them more realistic. I didn't know that it was generally used as an insult. My apologies Pete, if you felt bad about this whole thing. My bad for using a term without knowing what it really meant.

You are certainly not a rivet counter in the common sense of the word. You are almost exactly the opposite. I know that you have always been supportive of my builds and others, and your comments are always motivating. :bow::
There is always time for modeling.
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by Avgas »

I always thought a rivet counter was a bloke who counted frogs...
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by Lysus »

Avgas wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:31 pm I always thought a rivet counter was a bloke who counted frogs...
I think you're thinking of a toadler. He toadles the rivets.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
RichardT
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:05 am

Re: Rivet Counting ???

Post by RichardT »

There is nothing wrong with improving the accuracy of any kit you are building - by modifying or adding extra detail.

After all its your kit and once you have paid for it you can do what you like with it - it is not down to others to decide what you should do or to influence you.

i believe the term rivet counters doesn't really apply to builders but to those who look at the kits and criticise or find inaccuracies with them.

These guys might not even be model makers but scale enthusiasts interested in the engineering of the real thing.

Anyway who cares - modelling is a hobby and is about having fun.

If people get enjoyment about finding inaccuracies with kits then that their right also - and no one should criticise them.

So long as no-one gets personal its all about freedom to do what you want.

Richard
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”