Cockpit washes

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
User avatar
DougvH
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Easton, CT USA
United States of America

Cockpit washes

Post by DougvH »

As I'm just retuning to the hobby I don't have any acrylic/ washes experience. I've seen some great work here on aging cockpits very nicely with washes, and panel liner prior to securing fuselage halfs. I have seen, on exteriors where you apply a gloss prior to using washes/panel liner, should the cockpit also be glossed first? I'm using model air/color currently for paints.

Thanks
Doug
-Doug

On the bench:
Stash on Scalemates
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Cockpit washes

Post by Avgas »

I don't gloss the cockpit. I use a mixture of oil paints very thinned down with odourless turps and pastel weathering, such as Tamiya's Weathering Master range.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Cockpit washes

Post by Paul »

I dont gloss either use a mixture of oils enables and Ultimate washes as well as pigments
User avatar
DougvH
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Easton, CT USA
United States of America

Re: Cockpit washes

Post by DougvH »

Thank you Dave, & Paul.

I've looked at the Ultimate washes, but waiting for Hobby World USA to get them back in stock.
-Doug

On the bench:
Stash on Scalemates
User avatar
Cymru
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:32 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:
Wales

Re: Cockpit washes

Post by Cymru »

DougvH wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 2:05 pm Thank you Dave, & Paul.

I've looked at the Ultimate washes, but waiting for Hobby World USA to get them back in stock.
It might be just as quick to order direct from Ultimate?
Hanger:
STASH
WIP:
Current Projects

Orange Air Virtual Airline
Orange Air - Flying the virtual skies since 1996
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Cockpit washes

Post by Paul »

DougvH wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 2:05 pm Thank you Dave, & Paul.

I've looked at the Ultimate washes, but waiting for Hobby World USA to get them back in stock.
You can order directly from us and it works out about the same if not cheaper sometimes, plus you get a nice note of my GF hanna and little boy james and a pack of candy free www.umpretail.com
User avatar
tommym
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:40 am
Location: So Cal
United States of America

Re: Cockpit washes

Post by tommym »

I am in So Cal. I order direct from Ultimate. Price wise it comes out a couple bucks cheaper. My first order about 2 years ago took 3 weeks to get here.

My order last month took 1 week. :th:


Tommy 8-)
User avatar
DougvH
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Easton, CT USA
United States of America

Re: Cockpit washes

Post by DougvH »

I actually ordered thinner and the sanders Megapack direct on the 4th seeing how long Intl shipping takes. The price IS basically the same once the 18£ shipping is added and you convert at today's rate. I had originally ordered thinner from Strike Force Hobbies up in CA, but it went BO, and yesterday got an email saying it was coming direct from Ultimate. Guess the products are a bit hard to get to us colonials ;)
-Doug

On the bench:
Stash on Scalemates
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”