ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
TheNordus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Finland
Finland

ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Post by TheNordus »

Hello, I just read a novel about the Finnish armoured brigade in the second World War and inspired by that, I bought some custom decals and a T-28 and a T-34 model kit. I've gotta say, I paid 22 euros for this ICM kit that is basically their T-34 with a set of soviet tank riding infantry. What a deal for the quality! I also picked out a set of photo etch for a tamiya kit (hence they don't fit 100% perfectly) and a set of friulmodel tracks.
However, when looking at photos of Finnish T-34s I noticed all of them had a different set of front fenders to the ones I've seen on kits so I decided to try my hand at scratch building for the first time, so here are some WIP shots:

Image

Image

Image
-Tommi

There's always armour on my work bench.
TheNordus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Finland
Finland

Re: ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Post by TheNordus »

Quick update, I've started working on a Diorama/Vignette and I've also primed the tank.

Image

I designed it so I could have the suspension moving along the contours of the road on the other side, hence the rocks, going to start painting it later today and hoping to get it done some time next week.

Image

Image

These are the reference photos I'm working from. Originally I wanted to build the specific tank featured in the first photo, but I realized after priming that the tank tracks and wheels I have don't correspond to any known Finnish vehicle. I'm a bit annoyed, to say the least.
Also is it just me or is it a bit hard to find any T-34 Model 1941-42 kits? All my local shops only have 1943s.
-Tommi

There's always armour on my work bench.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Post by digger303 »

Maquette has issued some useful (and very economical) T-34 parts. These include two types of individual link track (Ref. 35021 y 35025), a V-2 engine and transmission set (Ref. 35024), a 1941 welded F-34 turret (Ref. 35026), road wheel sets (both rubber-tired and all steel, Ref. 35028 and Ref. 35029).

https://www.carminahobbys.com/en/dioram ... 21208.html
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
TheNordus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Finland
Finland

Re: ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Post by TheNordus »

Thanks for pointing those out, Digger - miniart also makes T-34 wheels and tracks that would be appropriate, I just lack the patience to wait for them to arrive. Maybe I can buy and replace them later and use what I have on some other kit.

Here's a progress update: I decalled the T-34 and basically painted it, just need to weather her now. The grab-handles on the turret broke on me for the last time so I just pulled them off and shaved the nubs. The Diorama base is pretty much done, except for some final touches after I finish doing the vehicle.

Image

Image
Here's the "face" of the dio, showing off the suspension.

Image
-Tommi

There's always armour on my work bench.
User avatar
d6mst0
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:54 am
United States of America

Re: ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Post by d6mst0 »

Looking mighty fine. Very nice paint work and tracks look great. I hope you don't over due the weathering, kinda like her the way she is.
TheNordus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:03 pm
Location: Finland
Finland

Re: ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Post by TheNordus »

This is definitely overdue now, but I tried to apply a light dust coat which turned out to be a super heavy dust coat after I let everything dry; I should have used half as much pigment as I did, so I spent a few days removing the excess and waiting for it to dry. In addition I used some Mig rain streaks to add streaking. These tanks were bought from Germany and they weren't used much before the war ended. Comments and Suggestions are welcome, I'm not sure if I consider this one 'done' yet!

Image

Image

Image

Image
-Tommi

There's always armour on my work bench.
User avatar
demarcation
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 11:34 pm
Location: Denmark
Denmark

Re: ICM T-34/76 - Building a Finnish T-34

Post by demarcation »

Nice work!! :thumb2:
:cheers2:

//Anders
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”