Difference between types of models

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
GMahaffey
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Contact:
United States of America

Difference between types of models

Post by GMahaffey »

I have no experience of different types of model kits, be it autos, armor, helicopters. With automobiles and helicopters I have done about 1 kit each, but those have been ages ago. I primarily work with airplanes (Mosldern and WW2 builds), I am thinking of branching out a bit to include other types of models. What is the most difficult part of these types of kits? What are the most enjoyable parts of these types of kits?
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Difference between types of models

Post by ForbesHutton »

With planes and cars masking off the glass is one of the challenges (after finding out you have to use something other than plastic cement to glue the clue parts on...).
For street/show cars getting the paint on perfectly smooth and cleared is a challenge.
For planes/copters and to a lesser extent getting the dash/control panels painted is a challenge.

That's why armour is the easiest, any mistakes can be hidden under a cargo net or mud, but then you decide to start adding figures or dioramas... :crazy:
Image
GMahaffey
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Difference between types of models

Post by GMahaffey »

With armor kits what is the drawbacks on those kits? What is the best thing about doing car models?
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Difference between types of models

Post by Stokesy44 »

GMahaffey wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 am With armor kits what is the drawbacks on those kits? What is the best thing about doing car models?
It depends entirely on what parts of the hobby you enjoy the most. Are you a build lover or do you hurry along to the painting phase so you can express yourself. Also, what subjects excite you? Are you a military history guy, do you like civvy subjects like racing cars etc.

The above can define what you get out of the hobby, not the eccentricities of a particular type of kit. Tell us what you like doing and what subjects get your juices going. I build military history subjects and a bit of sci-fi because that's what I'm interested in. I don't build cars because, regardless of the techniques and difficulties involved, I have no interest in the subject. :th:

Ask yourself, if I could build anything, what would it be? People can then weigh in on that type of kit, what manufacturers may suit you, what to look out for and what they get out of building that type of kit.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
GMahaffey
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:40 am
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Difference between types of models

Post by GMahaffey »

I really love military aircraft subjects. I've decided to do more WW2 subjects than modern but still enjoy both. I've thought about doing cars a some but still on the fence about it.
User avatar
walklong
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:02 pm
Location: Missouri Ozarks

Re: Difference between types of models

Post by walklong »

As a Navy veteran (and a wannabe carrier pilot), I have started a building theme of naval aviation subjects; as a civilian commercial pilot, I will be looking for examples of aircraft I have flown - just another way of thinking about the hobby.
On the bench: Italeri 1/48 F8F 2 Bearcat; Fujimi 1/72 B6N2 Jill; Eastern Express 1/35 T34/85
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Difference between types of models

Post by Stokesy44 »

GMahaffey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:12 pm I really love military aircraft subjects. I've decided to do more WW2 subjects than modern but still enjoy both. I've thought about doing cars a some but still on the fence about it.
Build what you love. There's such a massive selection available in the historic aircraft area. My favourites would be 1/48 single engine fighters, loads of absolute beauties right there. Airfix, Tamiya or Eduard.

Or if you fancy it, 1/32 from Tamiya (£££ :crazy: ) or the new tool 1/32 releases from Revell - lovely kits at smashing prices.
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”