Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post Reply
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

Hi All,

If anyone fancies a good yarn set during the Battle of Britain can I recommend the following author. He's called Me :crazy: - yep, I've written a book!

I have always wanted to write a history novel so during a break from work in 2010 I sat down in front of my laptop and started work on 'Burning Summer', a novel about an idealistic young pilot thrown into the hectic days of the Battle of Britain. I had read about the 1940 battles in the sky over England since I was a boy and with some proper grown up research under my belt I got to work.

Six months later I was finished - or so I thought! Cue repeated tinkering, editing, changing things then changing them back. Cue also depressing rejections from publishers (if they replied at all) :hand:

In the end I continued to play with it off and on, even changing the title. I enjoy writing so it was a pleasure to tinker but I realised if I wanted any sort of closure I needed to get it out there, so to speak. So that's what I did. I edited it one last time and then put it up on Amazon's Kindle store.

Its a work of fiction but its as historically accurate as I could make it. I would have been doing my childhood heroes a disservice otherwise. If you like tales of heroes and the days they lived through then have a look and see if you like it.

For me, its not about sales, as a writer I want my stuff to be read. if you fancy a look, please follow the link, it will take you to 'On Wings As Eagles' by David Stokes - that's me. Its got the 'look inside' function too so you can read the first few chapters if you want to.



Thanks Guys
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Lee »

Well done David...

Read a few pages on the look inside tab and immediately bought a copy! Reads very well and I want to know what happened next :th:

Will start reading it next week - Awesome work mate :)
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

Thanks Lee!

:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by chief5437 »

Nice one David! So we now have famous writers here, as well as famous modellers?!

Is it available as audio book for ipad?

Good luck with it all buddy!
Chief
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

chief5437 wrote:Nice one David! So we now have famous writers here, as well as famous modellers?!

Is it available as audio book for ipad?

Good luck with it all buddy!
Thanks Chief. I'm not sure about the audio book question. Pete (Daily quiz and 'On this day in history') has downloaded it and says he is listening to it as an audio book while he works on his kits. I'll check with him and confirm.
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
SMAddict66
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Redditch, UK
England

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by SMAddict66 »

So the saying goes that everybody has a story in them.

If that is the case then I donate my edition to you David. I purchased the book a couple of hours ago and have read through the early chapters. I'm not blowing smoke up your .... but this is an enjoyable read.

With any luck, the books proceeds might help with your "plastic habit" a little or, and "I mean this most sincerely folks", somebody, somewhere, in the publishing sphere might actually spot a bit of talent and throw a few quid your way to write some more - yes it really is that good.

I'll try and remember to bring my iPad to Telford on the off chance I'll meet you before you become Fredrick Forsyth famous and you can sign it for me. :bow::

The very best of luck with the book and thanks for a great read at a knockout price.
Phil
On the bench - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish
Just off the bench - Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2B
Next on the bench - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F2A/F6
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

chief5437 wrote:Nice one David! So we now have famous writers here, as well as famous modellers?!

Is it available as audio book for ipad?

Good luck with it all buddy!
Hi Chief. Pete's reply was as follows:

"I down loaded onto Amazon fire which has audio book, I would be very surprised if chief5437 could not be able to listen on a ipad .One way to find out is download the free sample first to see if it works ok and go from there."

I hope that helps. :th:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

SMAddict66 wrote:So the saying goes that everybody has a story in them.

If that is the case then I donate my edition to you David. I purchased the book a couple of hours ago and have read through the early chapters. I'm not blowing smoke up your .... but this is an enjoyable read.

With any luck, the books proceeds might help with your "plastic habit" a little or, and "I mean this most sincerely folks", somebody, somewhere, in the publishing sphere might actually spot a bit of talent and throw a few quid your way to write some more - yes it really is that good.

I'll try and remember to bring my iPad to Telford on the off chance I'll meet you before you become Fredrick Forsyth famous and you can sign it for me. :bow::

The very best of luck with the book and thanks for a great read at a knockout price.
Thank you Sir. That means a lot to me. I cant really find a proper response to your kind words and encouragement. I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far and I hope you continue to find it worthy of attention. :th:

As for the Telford comment - :lol: - nice one. I plan to be there so who knows.

:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

chief5437 wrote:Nice one David! So we now have famous writers here, as well as famous modellers?!

Is it available as audio book for ipad?

Good luck with it all buddy!
Hi Chief. In addition to my earlier reply I have checked on Amazon and the book does have the 'text to speech' function so you should be able to listen to it on your ipad.
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
privatepete
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3871
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:13 pm
England

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by privatepete »

Hi I have just finished Davids book On Wings As Eagles and I would recommend this book to anyone who has got an interest in the Battle of Britain. It has obviously been well researched and is very well written, Keeps the readers interest throughout and it gives a insight into the life of the young pilot's that took part.

Well Sir then is number two out :clap: :clap:
Pete :thumb2:
User avatar
Avgas
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2819
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Englandshire
Equatorial Guinea

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Avgas »

Just bought it. Might be a while until I get round to reading it but the few bits on Kindle read really well.
Regards, Dave.
User avatar
SMAddict66
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Redditch, UK
England

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by SMAddict66 »

I finally got around to finishing the book whilst on hols, and confess my early suspicions were indeed correct - this really is a great read.

Congrats on the work, and for having the courage to make it happen.

If you decide to write another don't be shy about letting at least me know as I'll be first in line to buy or subscribe.

Thanks for possibly the best 99p I've ever spent :cheers2: .
Phil
On the bench - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish
Just off the bench - Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2B
Next on the bench - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F2A/F6
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

SMAddict66 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:10 am I finally got around to finishing the book whilst on hols, and confess my early suspicions were indeed correct - this really is a great read.

Congrats on the work, and for having the courage to make it happen.

If you decide to write another don't be shy about letting at least me know as I'll be first in line to buy or subscribe.

Thanks for possibly the best 99p I've ever spent :cheers2: .
Thanks mate. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

I am working on a second story but its early days yet.

Thanks again and regards

David
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by bfrd »

Bought it, will let you know how I liked it when I get a chance to read it!

You should also check out Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Great book about the war in Italy with a good bit of historical accuracy to accentuate the fictional aspects.
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
ElCapitan
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:59 pm
Location: Glasgow
Scotland

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by ElCapitan »

Just bought it, sorry it's taken so long! Safe to say the first few pages have grabbed me instantly :th:
Rob
ElCapitan
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

bfrd wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 pm Bought it, will let you know how I liked it when I get a chance to read it!

You should also check out Beneath a Scarlet Sky. Great book about the war in Italy with a good bit of historical accuracy to accentuate the fictional aspects.
Thanks for getting the book and thanks for the steer on Beneath a Scarlet Sky. I'm always on the lookout for good WW2 fiction. I'm a big fan of James Holland's fictional offerings and also Robert Radcliffe who wrote probably the best novel I've ever read - Under an English Heaven.
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Historical fiction - anyone fancy a good read?

Post by Stokesy44 »

ElCapitan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:02 pm Just bought it, sorry it's taken so long! Safe to say the first few pages have grabbed me instantly :th:
Thank you kind Sir

I'm glad it gripped you from the start. The original version had a different beginning but a friend who read an early draft commented that it needed something punchier up front. Took me ages to work out how to restructure it so I'm well pleased you like it.
:cheers2:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
Post Reply

Return to “Books”