Static grass applicator

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Static grass applicator

Post by Augustus »

Anyone use them?
I was just wondering if for small areas the eBay el cheapo are any good? I know you can make your own but the eBay one I'm seeing is only $39AUD so probably works out about the same.
Or how about the Noch Puffer bottle? and are the Woodland Scenics bottles meant to do the same thing?
So far I've got by using tufts etc but want to do something where more coverage is needed, but it's still a pretty small area. The whole thing is only 10"x12" and the grass would be covering around 2/3s of that.

Cheers all
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Static grass applicator

Post by ForbesHutton »

Even the "big name" static applicators can be hit or miss. The thickness and length of the "grass" will affect how well the applicator works. I can see which glue used affecting what you get, if the grass can't stab into the glue deep enough to be supported it will start to lean over.

I used one of the ebay cheapies to put on the short grass on this dio, and I'm happy with the results...

[youtube]XS5eK4WXdo0[/youtube]
Image
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Static grass applicator

Post by Augustus »

There's some really lovely shots there showing the grass, but it's beautiful all over too mate, great work.
User avatar
4eyedkeeper
Private
Private
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: Grimsby, Ontario, Canada

Re: Static grass applicator

Post by 4eyedkeeper »

I've got one of the ebay cheapies, only used it a couple of times - works fine. Struggles with longer grasses tho.

Image

2017-11-21_08-08-35 by agr10_1, on Flickr
On the bench...

1/35 Tamiya King Tiger
1/35 Tamiya M10
1/72 Italeri AC-130H Spectre
1/72 Academy SR-71
1/48 Academy Mig-29UB
Augustus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 676
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Static grass applicator

Post by Augustus »

4eyedkeeper wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:41 pm I've got one of the ebay cheapies, only used it a couple of times - works fine. Struggles with longer grasses tho.

Image

2017-11-21_08-08-35 by agr10_1, on Flickr
It will only be 2ml with the odd bit of 4ml, I think I may give this a go. I would think maybe anything may have trouble with long grass getting enough static to make something large stand up anyway. As well as getting it through the sieve part.

I think you've just helped me talk myself into it, cheers.
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”