1/48 Hobby Boss M4A3 76(w) Sherman +Dio

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
qwatch2000
Private
Private
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

1/48 Hobby Boss M4A3 76(w) Sherman +Dio

Post by qwatch2000 »

Been working on this Sherman in 1:48 for a couple months now. I didn’t exactly realize that most armor is in 1/35 and I understand for good reason, so this will likely be the only 1/48th armor I’m going to do but I decided a little diorama would fit on a spare piece of wood I had lying around. Being the first tank and first diorama I’ve ever attempted I needed something to test out my various environment and weathering effects. Plus I have to admit it was a blast making the mud and dirt. Like making mud pies when you were a kid.

Base color of the active tank is.... um.... Tamiya Xf-62 olive drab??? I think. I sprayed it with alclad aqua gloss and the color seemed to go really dark and I know I had to repaint it a lighter color and then decided to do the black camo stripes which have all but disappeared. Plus I’ve done an oil dot filter, streaking grime, wet effects on top. Not loving Vallejo streaking grime. Gonna be looking for some Mig streaking effects (wet effects also) in enamels because the acrylic effects are dissapointing and hard to work with. Any other "must-have" MIG/AK products? They're expensive but it's my understanding that they're the best.

Primed in Ultimate primers, washed with Dark Dirt by Ultimate. Various Vallejo Mud products, MIG Wet Mud and Loose Earth, pigments, oils etc.

I have about half the range of Testors enamels I got when I first started back into the hobby as an adult about five months ago before I discovered Vallejo and Tamiya. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do with all those perfectly good enamels sitting around? I’ve thought about using them with thinner in different proportions to try and replicate various AMMO/AK/Vallejo weathering effects but I’m going to buy the products first and then use them as an example.

I just remembered I have to use Flickr on my desktop to upload pics so I’m going to do that now in a second post. Does anyone know of an easy to embed without having to employ a desktop?
Last edited by qwatch2000 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
qwatch2000
Private
Private
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: 1/48 Hobby Boss M4A3 76(w) Sherman +Dio

Post by qwatch2000 »

Image1/48 M4A3 Sherman in the Ardennes Forest, beginning of Winter, 1944 by Kelsen Key, on Flickr

I still have tonight and tomorrow to do some more work before submitting it the weekly WIP showcase on the live show, any suggestions or advice, tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Constructive criticism is welcome as well, this is honestly the first tank, and first Dio I*'ve ever done, even though I feel like I've been doing this forever, because I love it so much and I've managed to collect a decent stash of paints, products, and toys. I'm definitely still learning though, and in awe of some of the art my fellow modelers produce. I watched a lot Bob Ross growing up and now I find that watching build videos is soothing and I can learn enough from those more experienced than myself.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide, or for taking a look at my build in progress. Any questions about products used or techniques I (attempted) to utilize please don't hesitate to ask.

Kelsen
qwatch2000
Private
Private
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: 1/48 Hobby Boss M4A3 76(w) Sherman +Dio

Post by qwatch2000 »

Addendum:

I must say I did scratch build some small details like the Coax gun cover, and a couple small bags, but the majority of the extra stowage is done by the incredible Steve from Value Gear Details. He is located in Arizona, so shipping may be a tad much for my UK friends, but he does excellent work based on what I saw in this set. 27 pieces for $11.50 US and 3 dollars for shipping to Florida. I have some milliput, Kneaditite, and Apoxie Sculpt: I have dreams of sculpting and casting my own pieces and details one day.

www.valuegeardetails.com
qwatch2000
Private
Private
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: 1/48 Hobby Boss M4A3 76(w) Sherman +Dio

Post by qwatch2000 »

User avatar
DrSprue
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 am
United States of America

Re: 1/48 Hobby Boss M4A3 76(w) Sherman +Dio

Post by DrSprue »

Wow really nice scratch building there and the weathering stuff as well! :thumb2:
-Doc
On the bench:
qwatch2000
Private
Private
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: 1/48 Hobby Boss M4A3 76(w) Sherman +Dio

Post by qwatch2000 »

ImageUntitled by Kelsen Key, on Flickr
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”