My Flickr Thoughts

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

My Flickr Thoughts

Post by bfrd »

I decided to put this in the Modelling forum, because I think this is modelling related. Some folks here and in other places are lamenting the fact that Flickr is changing the terms of the "free" plan. First off, it is something for free. Even limited to 1000 pictures, it is still a good service.

I think more importantly is the focus on requiring a free outlet for our images? As a group we spend a lot of money on our models. Even more than the money is the time that we spend making the models. Why wouldn't we pay a reasonable amount of money to display our work? If I took the amount of money I spend on kits, paints, and tools over the course of year I would be shocked to see the final tally. Adding an extra $50 to that total wouldn't really make a difference. It is a tool just like any other. This is not the cheapest hobby in the world, I don't think skimping on displaying the final result is the best area to try and save money.

I know not everyone will agree, and I am not trying to start anything negative. I just want to make sure that we look at photo hosting as tool. Having a free service isn't anything that we are owed.
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Yep I am in.
Just hoping to get the first timer deal notice upgrade e-mail before I do it
We are all cheap buggers
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by alextheblue »

You're absolutely right Matthew and I don't disagree with a single word of your post. I think the thing that people are upset about is the goal posts being moved now the site has new owners. A lot of modellers on the site are on tight budgets and this could mean the difference between displaying your work or buying a new kit. I suspect the new kit will win out every time.

I fear that the result will mean less people displaying their work, which can never be a good thing. Forums like ISM offer an invaluable source of information, not to mention a meeting place for like minds. What will happen if less and less people sign up becuase of the costs of displaying your work.

My solution. Most internet providers offer decent sized cloud storage as part of their packages - store your pictures there. Only post to Flickr the pictures that you need and once used, save them to your cloud account. Imagine how p'eed off Flickr will be if they have thousands of accounts that only have a couple of pictures in each. It's all about content for these guys and they will lose a ton of advertising revenue if they're not retaining the footfall. Might force them to think twice about their pricing structure. Money grabbing feckers.

Just a thought.
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I fear a meme gap will be upon us :cry:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Kevthemodeller »

The issue as I see it isn't isn't that we have to pay, it's how much £40 odd a year, which will be rather high for some and I've got no doubt we creep up year on year!

Is there anyway we can pay a subscription, to be a ISM member which would allow each member an upload amount? The amount could be increased above a default amount if a member wishes, i.e. the more you use the more you pay kind of thing. Which just covers site costs not leveled at making profit, but no subs no use of ISM. I know this forum is free and that is one of it's main strengths and attractions, other forums will no doubt be in the same boat in regard to picture hosting, some I know are already subscription based as they are businesses and are for profit.

I know it's possible, I belong to another forum that allows upload of members picture for free. Of course there's a cost and I've no idea what the cost is, but if ISM was to remain not for profit could we undercut the pay forums and achieve picture hosting?
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by digger303 »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm The issue as I see it isn't isn't that we have to pay, it's how much £40 odd a year, which will be rather high for some and I've got no doubt we creep up year on year!

Is there anyway we can pay a subscription, to be a ISM member which would allow each member an upload amount? The amount could be increased above a default amount if a member wishes, i.e. the more you use the more you pay kind of thing. Which just covers site costs not leveled at making profit, but no subs no use of ISM. I know this forum is free and that is one of it's main strengths and attractions, other forums will no doubt be in the same boat in regard to picture hosting, some I know are already subscription based as they are businesses and are for profit.

I know it's possible, I belong to another forum that allows upload of members picture for free. Of course there's a cost and I've no idea what the cost is, but if ISM was to remain not for profit could we undercut the pay forums and achieve picture hosting?
Even a small amount payable to ISM maybe a better alternative than going 3rd party and perpetually going through these maneuvers. $100 a yr is a strech for pic's....yes I'm tight.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
BobM
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 587
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:47 pm
Location: Los Angeles Area
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by BobM »

There was a time, some time ago, when the free Flickr account had a limited size, I don’t recall the limit. At that time I did spring for a Pro account, again, I don’t recall what it cost. But I didn’t use it much and when the free limit was greatly increased, I jumped on it.

Since joining ISM, I’ve used Flickr much more than ever. Still at this point I don’t think I’m anywhere near 1000 images; I only upload those images that I actually post. If I reach that limit, I will have no problem upgrading to a Pro account again. Since I was a former Pro users, I suspect I will not be eligible for the discount.

Bob
- Bob M.

Portfolio: (on ISM)

On the bench:
Nothing at the moment.
:tw:
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Tomcat64 »

I've been using Flickr as a free user to share photos since 2011 and now have getting on for 5,000 images out there about 1,400 of which are model related. Flickr isn't my primary store and everything that's out there is also on disk in my office here too but it is the most convenient way I've found of sharing with the wider world.

I've always been a little bemused at the fact that there was no charge for the hosting services. Storage is dirt cheap these days compared to thirty years back but there's still a cost associated with maintenance and access as well as the hardware itself.

So I'll be biting the bullet this time and forking out for the service going forwards - I've had seven years of freebies and at least they haven't just pulled the rug out from under us like PB did last year.
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by bfrd »

I too would rather pay a site like ISM for photo hosting instead of Flickr, but that is not realistic. Flickr (and other hosting sites) are much more than just hard drives in the sky. They have a huge team of developers that are constantly working on improvements. The amount of work that ISM would have to put into having it's own hosting site with only the bare essentials would not be economically feasible. We would have to charge more per user for less functionality. While some of us may be willing to pay more for less if the money went to ISM; I have a feeling that not enough people would do so. And while storage is cheap, bandwidth on a server is not. Some of the photo processing features require extra CPU time which is also not free on hosted servers. It isn't only the storage of images that is a cost factor.

I really do wish that Flickr didn't decide to change their free offering, but I can't say I don't understand the reasoning. They were giving away quite a bit, and honestly, continue to do so.
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Hi Matthew, thanks for that. Just to satisfy my curiosity please, how do other free modelling sites mange to, even actively encourage you to up load pictures without using a hosting site, does it really cost that much or is it the current ISM chosen platform/server/provider or whatever it's called can't?

I no nothing of these matters just trying to understand the how's and why's etc.
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by bfrd »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:56 pm Hi Matthew, thanks for that. Just to satisfy my curiosity please, how do other free modelling sites mange to, even actively encourage you to up load pictures without using a hosting site, does it really cost that much or is it the current ISM chosen platform/server/provider or whatever it's called can't?

I no nothing of these matters just trying to understand the how's and why's etc.
I would suspect they are using built in attachment features of the forum. They would have to pay for the added storage and bandwidth, but not any development costs. I would also suspect that uploading functionality might be limited. Sites like Flickr have a lot of investment in making images easier to upload from mobile devices. It may also have limited functionality when it comes to image processing and cataloging.
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
SteelScooter
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:43 am
Location: Buckinghamshire, UK
England

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by SteelScooter »

If I was a professional photographer, hell even a professional modeller I wouldn't hesitate to spend $50 on the pro membership. 😁 However as someone who takes terrible pictures with his tablet it just seems a bit over the top. 1000 free pics is enough for me. I just hope they don't start messing with the hosting like Photophukdit. 👍
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Scalemates: http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate ... 08&p=stash
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I got my Pro subscription done today
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
barrythornton
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Location: Wigan Casino
Palestine

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by barrythornton »

So, whats changing ?
still free up to 1000 images .... go pro and pay for it above that ?
Seems legit, if I get anywhere near 1000 (unlikely), I can open account 2
If it`s got a Dragon or a Dwarf in it .....I`m out ! :pistols:
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Lysus »

barrythornton wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm So, whats changing ?
still free up to 1000 images .... go pro and pay for it above that ?
Seems legit, if I get anywhere near 1000 (unlikely), I can open account 2
Image
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Lysus wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 pm
barrythornton wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm So, whats changing ?
still free up to 1000 images .... go pro and pay for it above that ?
Seems legit, if I get anywhere near 1000 (unlikely), I can open account 2
Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
I loved that show...I mean the kids loved that show, I was just supervising :shifty:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
chops1sc
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 618
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am
Location: South Carolina, USA
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by chops1sc »

Photobucket left a very bad taste in our mouths. I can see myself spending $50 a year (hell, I blow more than that on stupid stuff all year). The OP definitely nails it on the head about what we spend on our hobby. BUT, it can be tough going from free to costing something. That's where Photobucket got it wrong going from free to $400/year.
User avatar
dogsbody
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:22 pm
Location: Northern Alberta, Canada
Canada

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by dogsbody »

I caved and paid Flickr. Up here,it's only about the same price as buying a Timmie's coffee once a week.


Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Lysus »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm
Lysus wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 pm
barrythornton wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm So, whats changing ?
still free up to 1000 images .... go pro and pay for it above that ?
Seems legit, if I get anywhere near 1000 (unlikely), I can open account 2
Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
I loved that show...I mean the kids loved that show, I was just supervising :shifty:
I mean, we have to watch them sometimes to know what they're seeing. Right? :shifty:
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by digger303 »

Lysus wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:15 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm
Lysus wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:06 pm

Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
I loved that show...I mean the kids loved that show, I was just supervising :shifty:
I mean, we have to watch them sometimes to know what they're seeing. Right? :shifty:

OMG he's back ! :lol: :lol:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Lysus »

digger303 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 am
Lysus wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:15 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
I loved that show...I mean the kids loved that show, I was just supervising :shifty:
I mean, we have to watch them sometimes to know what they're seeing. Right? :shifty:

OMG he's back ! :lol: :lol:
Image
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by digger303 »

Lysus wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:34 am
digger303 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 am
Lysus wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:15 am

I mean, we have to watch them sometimes to know what they're seeing. Right? :shifty:

OMG he's back ! :lol: :lol:
Image

and forgotten some skills :lol: :lol:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by Lysus »

Image
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: My Flickr Thoughts

Post by digger303 »

Image
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”