1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Fridgy »

Just some preview pics

ImageImageImageImage

Still new to do a few things, finish some access panels, 1 antenna and his little blow torch arm.
Then a panel line and attach his eyes

I think the colour combo works ok
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Now that's good, such a clean finish :bow:: :clap:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Fridgy »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:01 am Now that's good, such a clean finish :bow:: :clap:
Cheers Kev :cheers2:

Have done a panel line wash and given a coat of X22

All the extra little parts have been shot with Ultimate gloss black ready for some x32 to be shot tomorrow

Unfortunately the panel wash didn't take on the white sections, too many coats trying to get good coverage I think

Quick question, does anyone else find that white when it is dry, is not very tough?
When I was putting his head together (wasn't wearing gloves) and I noticed if you put too much pressure on the parts, I would leave my finger prints in the white paint. It had been left to dry for 24hrs (Mr hobby gloss white H1, thinned 50/50 with mlt)

I'm wondering if that is a peculiarity of Mr hobby h1?

Both the tamiya x32 and Mr color orange (both thinned 50/50 with mlt) were resistant to this effect.

Ideas??
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Haven't got any experience with the their gloss white, but I found others Aqueous colours were the same when thinned with levelling thinner. The levelling thinner is a lacquer thinner and will take an age to cure if every fully with acrylic, I have the same issue when I used H23 Shine Red even after a week in the airing cupboard it wasn't set.

I switched to aqueous thinners and it set but I couldn't get the surface finish/shine I was after. I switched to Mr Color Shine Red C79 and used a mix of Mr Color thinner and Levelling Thinner as per their recommendations, What a difference touch dry within a few minutes set in 8 hrs, perfect finish, had the same result with other colours in the range.

From now on if I want high gloss finish my go to paint is Mr Hobby Color :th:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Gary30 »

Fridgy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 am
Quick question, does anyone else find that white when it is dry, is not very tough?
When I was putting his head together (wasn't wearing gloves) and I noticed if you put too much pressure on the parts, I would leave my finger prints in the white paint. It had been left to dry for 24hrs (Mr hobby gloss white H1, thinned 50/50 with mlt)

I'm wondering if that is a peculiarity of Mr hobby h1?

Both the tamiya x32 and Mr color orange (both thinned 50/50 with mlt) were resistant to this effect.

Ideas??
Yep I have the same problems with MLT, warmth and time is the only cure (no pun intended) and when you have zero patience when it comes to waiting around and doing nothing like me, that causes me issues :lol:
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by bfrd »

Looking good, Mick. Those are such fun kits.
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

DUDE!!!

AWESOME!!!
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Fridgy »

Gary30 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:26 pm
Fridgy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 am
Quick question, does anyone else find that white when it is dry, is not very tough?
When I was putting his head together (wasn't wearing gloves) and I noticed if you put too much pressure on the parts, I would leave my finger prints in the white paint. It had been left to dry for 24hrs (Mr hobby gloss white H1, thinned 50/50 with mlt)

I'm wondering if that is a peculiarity of Mr hobby h1?

Both the tamiya x32 and Mr color orange (both thinned 50/50 with mlt) were resistant to this effect.

Ideas??
Yep I have the same problems with MLT, warmth and time is the only cure (no pun intended) and when you have zero patience when it comes to waiting around and doing nothing like me, that causes me issues :lol:
Kevthemodeller wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:21 pm Haven't got any experience with the their gloss white, but I found others Aqueous colours were the same when thinned with levelling thinner. The levelling thinner is a lacquer thinner and will take an age to cure if every fully with acrylic, I have the same issue when I used H23 Shine Red even after a week in the airing cupboard it wasn't set.

I switched to aqueous thinners and it set but I couldn't get the surface finish/shine I was after. I switched to Mr Color Shine Red C79 and used a mix of Mr Color thinner and Levelling Thinner as per their recommendations, What a difference touch dry within a few minutes set in 8 hrs, perfect finish, had the same result with other colours in the range.

From now on if I want high gloss finish my go to paint is Mr Hobby Color :th:
Cheers guys, looks like I will just have to be extra careful and remember to wear gloves
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Fridgy »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:01 pm DUDE!!!

AWESOME!!!
bfrd wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:48 pm Looking good, Mick. Those are such fun kits.
Thanks Matt and Scott. It has been a blast to build
I'm trying to build a flame for his blow torch out of stretched clear spue, hopefully I can pull it off
Almost complete
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Fridgy »

And we are done! :banana:

All in all a great kit, a few errors that were my own making, mainly the finger prints in the white of bb-8's head :doh:

So here are his pics

ImageImageImageImage

I think his little flame came out quite well
Image


And with R2
Image


Comments and feedback are welcomed
A big cheers to everyone for their support and encouragement :cheers2:
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Ha ha ha, absolutely awesome :banana: :banana: :banana:
This has to get your modelling juices going :thumb1:
Look at those two cool builds, WOW!!!
:clap:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Fridgy
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1282
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:46 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Fridgy »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 am Ha ha ha, absolutely awesome :banana: :banana: :banana:
This has to get your modelling juices going :thumb1:
Look at those two cool builds, WOW!!!
:clap:
Cheers Scott

Yep they have been a great boost to the mojo

Glad to have it back and for it to be a pleasure again :banana: :cheers2:
Mick
WIP: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Tomcat64 »

Well they look awesome!

Great job mate - stunning results on both droids :clap: :clap: :cheers2:
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/12 Bandai BB-8 & R2-D2

Post by Gary30 »

They are really cool! (even with the fingerprints :lol: :thumb2: )

Great job, they look good hanging out together!
Portfolio
Click here
Post Reply

Return to “Sci-fi Gallery”