WWII airplanes weathering

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
User avatar
flundstrom2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:24 am
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Contact:
Sweden

WWII airplanes weathering

Post by flundstrom2 »

To what extent did aircraft actually get dirty before being shot down or decommissioned?

I imagine exhaust dirt on the fuselage next to exhausts, and dirt from grass and mud airstrips on the landing legs.

But I've tried to watch how current commercial aircraft get dirty : white SAS planes barely get dirty on top of the wings. Just a little, almost invisible behind rivets. But their high speeds and constant flights through rain and clouds maybe cleans them in a way not done to WWII airplanes?

And did the material of the planes affect weathering? Esp early were made of cloth and wood, while later planes had metal fuselage.
Regards, Fredrik
Modelling interests: Aircraft (preferably WWII) and space
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: WWII airplanes weathering

Post by digger303 »

flundstrom2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 am To what extent did aircraft actually get dirty before being shot down or decommissioned?

I imagine exhaust dirt on the fuselage next to exhausts, and dirt from grass and mud airstrips on the landing legs.

But I've tried to watch how current commercial aircraft get dirty : white SAS planes barely get dirty on top of the wings. Just a little, almost invisible behind rivets. But their high speeds and constant flights through rain and clouds maybe cleans them in a way not done to WWII airplanes?

And did the material of the planes affect weathering? Esp early were made of cloth and wood, while later planes had metal fuselage.
Modern aircraft actually have a self cleaning paint which helps.
:th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: WWII airplanes weathering

Post by Gary30 »

I think this is where we are granted a little artistic licence to bring a model 'to life'.

Possibly we are all guilty of over weathering a subject to show off our skills and make interesting effects, it's the old dilemma of whether we want a good looking model or a 100% accurate model. So personally I think it's ok to over emphasise weathering effects.

It's whether we weather for the wise or whether we stop when we have the wherewithal to weather for whoever, that is truly the question.
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
flundstrom2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:24 am
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Contact:
Sweden

Re: WWII airplanes weathering

Post by flundstrom2 »

Gary30 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:57 am I think this is where we are granted a little artistic licence to bring a model 'to life'.

Possibly we are all guilty of over weathering a subject to show off our skills and make interesting effects.
Yes, I totally agree. Weathering is fun, and it really gives an impression of reality. But, nevertheless, I'm qurious and really would like to know what really happened to the planes during their lifetime.
Regards, Fredrik
Modelling interests: Aircraft (preferably WWII) and space
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: WWII airplanes weathering

Post by alextheblue »

flundstrom2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 am To what extent did aircraft actually get dirty before being shot down or decommissioned?

I imagine exhaust dirt on the fuselage next to exhausts, and dirt from grass and mud airstrips on the landing legs.

But I've tried to watch how current commercial aircraft get dirty : white SAS planes barely get dirty on top of the wings. Just a little, almost invisible behind rivets. But their high speeds and constant flights through rain and clouds maybe cleans them in a way not done to WWII airplanes?

And did the material of the planes affect weathering? Esp early were made of cloth and wood, while later planes had metal fuselage.

That's an excellent question. Most of the pictures we see are black and white, or have had colour added and examples in museums have always been restored to look like they have rolled straight out of the factory.

As you say, a lot depends on the materials involved. Plus, you have to take into account the theatre they were used in, how heavily they were used and their availability.

I'm no expert on aircraft. Tanks are more my thing and the good thing with those - they're almost always covered in crud and dirt!!!! :D :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: WWII airplanes weathering

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Gary30 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:57 am I think this is where we are granted a little artistic licence to bring a model 'to life'.

Possibly we are all guilty of over weathering a subject to show off our skills and make interesting effects, it's the old dilemma of whether we want a good looking model or a 100% accurate model. So personally I think it's ok to over emphasise weathering effects.

It's whether we weather for the wise or whether we stop when we have the wherewithal to weather for whoever, that is truly the question.
Oh I like that mate :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”