Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post Reply
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by bfrd »

I built this as a gift for my F.I.L. He flew these during his time in the Navy. Took more than 2 years, but it is done. Spent most of that time in a box. I made many mistakes but I hope he will like it. I will find out in about 30 minutes.

I used Badger white primer, and Vallejo Model Air paints. Caracal aftermarket decals to more closely match what he flew.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by Tomcat64 »

Now that's something a bit different and looks to be a very tidy build from the photos - I'm sure the FiL will love it! :cheers2:
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by bfrd »

Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm Now that's something a bit different and looks to be a very tidy build from the photos - I'm sure the FiL will love it! :cheers2:
Yah, you will notice not a lot of close up shots. :th:

I did a poor job of gluing the windows, combined with the large time lapse many of them pushed through. :bash:
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Looks absolutely great!
We are our own harshest critics
The paint scheme is stunning in the contrast. I really like it :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by Tomcat64 »

bfrd wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:00 pm
Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm Now that's something a bit different and looks to be a very tidy build from the photos - I'm sure the FiL will love it! :cheers2:
Yah, you will notice not a lot of close up shots. :th:

I did a poor job of gluing the windows, combined with the large time lapse many of them pushed through. :bash:
Oh they didn't fall in - I think you'll find the crew opened the windows to improve ventilation :) :th: :whistle:

And either way that doesn't take anything away from a really crisp-looking paint job
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
KalebB
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:01 am
Location: Southern Indiana, USA
United States of America

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by KalebB »

Very cool looking aircraft.

The way the white and gray contrast off each other makes it really pleasing to just look at.
"This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I’m talkin’ to whoever’s listenin’ out there" ~ Jack Burton

On the Bench
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by bfrd »

It was VERY well received. Makes all the frustrations worthwhile.

Thanks for the positive comments! :cheers2:
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Very nice :clap: I do like a flying boat, didn't know this kit existed :th:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
onemac
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Lossiemouth, UK
Great Britain

Re: Trumpeter 1:48 HU-16 Albatross

Post by onemac »

It will do for me - nice work. One for my wish list I think.
Currently on the bench:

1/32 Tamiya F-15E Strike Eagle
1/48 GWH T-33 Shooting Star
1/48 Revell (Monogram) F-15C Eagle
Post Reply

Return to “Air Gallery”