Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Cars, trucks and bikes
Post Reply
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by LWWales »

Hi guys, after the fun I had with the R1M, I thought I'd try a car. I enjoyed what little decalling I done on the bike, so this, I was looking forward to!

First I glued the fenders and vents on, then used Tamiya fine white primer, then a zero paints white left over from the R1.
Image
Image

Then the tedious job of masking the wheels! They had the same treatment.
Image
Image

Next I painted the engine and various under body parts. I got my coloura mixed up, but the kit calls for a mixed silver and brown colour. Not sure this is correct or true to live, but I like it for the engine block!

Image
Image

Next was suspension and discs. Used my mixed colour again for hubs, then lightened it slightly with titanium gold for the calipers and some metallic gray lacquer from Tamiya, mixed with a slight bit of silver for the discs.

Image

Suspension was my mixed colour, then the silver for the shaft, then clear red on the springs. I really need to invest in some good brushes. Any suggestions?

Image

All the painted bits so far and most of the under body in! The engine has been masked for detail bits.

Image
Image

I also masked the window rubbers off and shot them with flat black and slight mix of gloss black. Lots of mixing since I'm skint until payday and don't have many paints!

Image
Image

Then I made the tyres look used and started with the decals! The wheel decals went on easy, there's 6 per wheel, including the tyres! :wtf: I had some issues with the body decals, broke the front one being clumsy, so cut a bit off.

Image
Image
Image
Image

And here is where I'm at now!

Image
Image

Thanks for looking in and I hope you like it!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by Gary30 »

It looks great buddy! Especially like the wheels, they've turned out great.

The Castrol scheme is a nightmare in terms of decalling, as you have to be really accurate around the window areas to make sure you don't leave any gaps and everything lines up....I think I've got 4-5 kits in the stash that require pretty much this exact scheme to look forward to :ooops: (Supra, Celica, Carina, Corolla :scratch:: )
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by LWWales »

Thank you! Yeah, you do need to be accurate, there's a bit of white at the top of the side window where I rubbed the paint off handling it which is gonna be fun to correct!

The worst part for me so far was just to the left of the back arch, around the vent is 4 separate decals and lining them all up wasn't fun.

Also the micro-sol didn't seem to be doing much, so I diluted some nail varnish remover which worked a treat!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by Gary30 »

A hairdryer is a Godsend for me when trying to wrestle with decals too, I don’t know if you’ve tried that yet? Also Tamiya X20A thinners works as a really strong decal solution. Microsol is not aggressive enough for me a lot of the time either, so I pull out the big guns as above haha!
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by LWWales »

I have not, I'll use that on the other side!

Come pay day I'll order some thinners, too. I'll be doing the ZX-RR next and that's got come big fairing decals. I've also got a part started NSR500 kit coming from eBay that's got some fairing decals to do, so thanks for the tips!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by barryf1fan »

This is looking great LW!! Those big decals can def be a challenge... I always thought a big decal would be so much easier to work with, that is, until I did a kit with large decals. :lol: :lol:

Look forward to more progress. :thumb2:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by LWWales »

Thank you!

Due to my lack of experience I've made a big boo boo and upon realising I forgot panel liner, put some on. It all bled under the decals.

Image

Though, ever the optimist in using it in my favour and now building a post race car, rather than pre race. A raced car!

Which means I'm gonna do some weathering. I want to do some small stone chips on the front, though in unsure what way to go about it. I was thinking careful taps with the top of a craft blade.
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by jchrisf »

Looking good! I'm working on this same car right now.. maybe we can get a group build going. I'm going to clear over my Tamiya White Primer because it lays down so smooth and looks great. Every time I use it I wish the car was white so I could just clear over it. Now I can...

I'm also going to paint the wheels solid white because I've never seen a pic of this car in the wild that had the chrome around the outside of the rim.
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by LWWales »

That's a cool idea! I've not taken part in a group build, what does it entail?

The primer does look great, I've left it just primer on the chassis and roll cage. I've stopped with the paint for the moment as next is inside the car and I only have Humbrol Enamel paints left over from when I was a kid and I'd rather not use enamel since it take 30-40 business days to dry Hahaa

I realised after masking that the wheels are normally solid white, too, but I really wanted to see how they would come out so I used some creative licence
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by Hawkmoon »

:thumb2: All looking good so far apart from the decal boo boo's but thats how we learn in the modeling game and even the best of us get the odd pig now and then :thumb2: :thumb2:
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by jchrisf »

LWWales wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:48 pm That's a cool idea! I've not taken part in a group build, what does it entail?

The primer does look great, I've left it just primer on the chassis and roll cage. I've stopped with the paint for the moment as next is inside the car and I only have Humbrol Enamel paints left over from when I was a kid and I'd rather not use enamel since it take 30-40 business days to dry Hahaa

I realised after masking that the wheels are normally solid white, too, but I really wanted to see how they would come out so I used some creative licence
I haven't either.. I'm kinda new to this too. But, in this instance maybe everyone who has one of these kits will be motivated to give it a try. I have two kits.. was thinking about building one right after the other to help me get more experience. Hopefully the second time I will correct any newb mistakes I might make.

Actually you are doing the wheels correctly according to the instructions and other builds I've seen and yours came out great. I'm just going to take the easy way out and paint them all white.. I've never seen a build with all white wheels.
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by BigWall »

Looking good! I like the wheels
Joe

Image
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by ryan81 »

Looking good! It's a shame about the decal mishap but I guess take the silver lining and work on some weathering.

I recently built this so can attest to how tough those decals can be, especially the curves around the rear wheels.

Awesome job on the wheels! I struggled for a long time trying to mask the chrome with tape, which I deemed too hard in the end. Then researched liquid masking and couldn't recommend it more! Very easy to use and leaves no mess as it all peels off as one piece. Here's the link in case you want to try it out for the next one https://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/maskol-28ml-bottle.html

Here's a link to my build if interested viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28169

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by LWWales »

Thanks for the tips guys and the kind words!

@jchrisf That's a good idea do I g two in a row, though I fear I'd loose interest half way through the second.

@ryan81 Indeed! I'm looking forward to it, though not much can happen in a GT500 race, some road dust, stone chips and rubber by the arches seems like a good place to start.

I ordered some liquid mask weeks ago when I out in an order for paint and tools with Wonderland Models, though the majority of my order came, the website showed it as part dispatched with my flexifile, micro-set and micro sale micro mask not delivered. Im still waiting and now their website won't load, so I may ask for a part refund!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya Castrol Supra.

Post by LWWales »

Currently not feeling this, but I've done a bit recently! It's at a stage where I can weather it to make it look raced. I've done a bit on the bottom scraping the floor pan. I just need to find some pointers on making it look raced.

Had some issues with the clear and the aforementioned decal boo boo.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”