DBMiller's Alien

Moderator: T3hGuppy

User avatar
DBMiller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
United States of America

DBMiller's Alien

Post by DBMiller »

Today my wife and I took our last kitty for his final vet visit. Ping was over 20 and went down hill rapidly this past week so we had no choice.

So, in his honor, I've chosen a kit that symbolizes the resilience of the feline species. A kit from a film where the only real survivor was a cat.


Alien:

Image

For Ping (and Jonesy):

Image
ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: DBMiller's Alien

Post by BigWall »

Sorry to hear about Ping. May he rest in peace.

Can't wait to see the build!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: DBMiller's Alien

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Oh that is a hard time of life, saying goodbye to such a dear close friend
We love our pets as much as the children, maybe more :think:

Ping is dancing through tall grass chasing mice and having as much cheese as is catly possible
I shall give Bean an extra couple pets in Ping’s honour tonight
Feeling for ya pal :cry:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: DBMiller's Alien

Post by Hawkmoon »

Sorry to hear about ping but I bet hes having a cat ball in a happier place now and nice choice.
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: DBMiller's Alien

Post by Stokesy44 »

Sounds like Ping had a long and happy life. A memorial build is a fitting tribute.

Sorry for your loss mate
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: DBMiller's Alien

Post by Donkeywalloper »

Image
These two are Cleo (Dinner Jacket colour) and Sergey (aka Black Panther), who currently are our House Cats.
Previous to these two scamps, was my buddy Rupert. Old, Knackered, and with many illnesses and conditions (exactly like me really). We went everywhere together, and if I sat down, he found my lap and cuddled down and went to sleep.
He was my mate and companion, and i miss him terrible.
Thats why, I dont take posts like this lightheartedly and have a great affinity for Pet Owners who lose these loved companions. So sorry for the loss of Ping, looks like a beautiful cat.
Best wishes chap,
DW
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: DBMiller's Alien

Post by Tomcat64 »

So sorry to hear of your loss, DBM - sounds like Ping was a wonderful companion and a great friend.
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: DBMiller's Alien

Post by RangerNeil »

Really sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Ping. Like DW I tend to take such announcements very seriously - the wife is known for commenting given a choice between and animal and a human I'll take the animal every time. We lost our long term companion, Toby - a X-breed dog - in 2017 and, to this day, he is with us. Maggie joined us last year and now has her own place alongside Toby. It is the way of things.
The memorial build is a lovely idea - it will be nice to see once complete.
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    User avatar
    DBMiller
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
    Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by DBMiller »

    I suppose it's time to post something here. I'm almost done with my Bond kit so time to move on!

    First, though, is thank you all for the kind comments about Ping. It means a lot that so many of you understand what it's like. He was our last and I miss him.


    There isn't much to say about Alien - film and creature - that you all don't know already. So not much introduction here.
    Here are the parts.
    It's a Halcyon PVC kit at 1/5 scale. Not many parts but that's no hinderance to me messing things up. Also, it in no way resembles the cover art. The box shows an alien out for your guts. The model looks like - "Can I take your order sir?"


    Instructions. Even I should be able to follow these.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    What the heck? The alien cranium cover is soft PVC (or rubber?) and should be a blast to get looking good.


    Image

    Image

    Pile of parts.

    Image

    Less of a pile. The little bag contains heal spurs. The tail needs a bit of un-bending.

    Image

    Scary! Oooooooh.


    Image
    ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
    User avatar
    Gary30
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Posts: 1125
    Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
    Wales

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by Gary30 »

    Sorry about Ping!

    Looking forward to the build though, looks massive!
    Portfolio
    Click here
    User avatar
    Tomcat64
    Brigadier General
    Brigadier General
    Posts: 7188
    Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
    Location: Swindon, UK
    England

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by Tomcat64 »

    Well that's an interesting take on the cranium!

    Do you have the ability to change the pose of the finished item to look more intimidating or are you stuck with the cocktail waiter alien?
    Cheers, Neil

    On the Bench:
    Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
    Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
    Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
    User avatar
    DBMiller
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
    Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by DBMiller »

    Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:41 pm Well that's an interesting take on the cranium!

    Do you have the ability to change the pose of the finished item to look more intimidating or are you stuck with the cocktail waiter alien?
    I intend to try! What could go wrong? Even if I can get him to give the middle finger that would be something!
    ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
    Hawkmoon
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2121
    Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
    England

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by Hawkmoon »

    :thumb2: Nice start on the little beggar and looking good :th:
    User avatar
    DBMiller
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
    Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by DBMiller »

    My first actual build post.
    Started washing and trimming the parts. Here is the main cranium, rear cap, and translucent cover.

    Image

    Needed more trimming than the instructions show to fit at all.

    Image

    Image

    Using two part epoxy to hold them together. The epoxy flows into the seam nicely.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Jaw clean up. I will have to paint these parts before assembly.

    Image

    The tail has a stiff wire in it for posing!!!!

    Image

    Torso and hips. Not a good fit - even with very extensive trimming! I haven't glued them yet but it looks like more epoxy is in order. The parts can't fall apart because of the way they fit together so the epoxy should do well.

    Image

    Image

    Image
    ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
    User avatar
    Bdiddy
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant
    Posts: 434
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Australia

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by Bdiddy »

    Sorry to hear about Ping mate, we have 3 cats & know what you're going through. Lovely idea to do a tribute for him.

    Looks nicely detailed, am loving the skull! Cant wait to see this finished :pistols: :pistols:
    Jesse

    Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

    Next build: :scratch::
    Hawkmoon
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2121
    Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
    England

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by Hawkmoon »

    :thumb2: :thumb2: Looking good and nice work :thumb2: :thumb2:
    User avatar
    DBMiller
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
    Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by DBMiller »

    Putting together more of the sub-assemblies.
    The hands look like gloves with really thick wrists. I've started grinding down the seams and filling them with super glue.
    And the feet - what an odd way to sculpt the parts. Why not just solid on the sole?


    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Lower legs glued to the upper. Got super glue all over my hand while filling the knee joints. Of course.
    It's not a particularly dynamic pose but it will be an imposing size when done!


    Image
    ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
    User avatar
    aur0ra145
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    Posts: 3161
    Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
    Location: TX
    Contact:
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by aur0ra145 »

    Looking good so far! :th:
    User avatar
    DBMiller
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
    Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by DBMiller »

    More filling on the oddly malformed torso, wrist joints, and knees. I think the torso was a bit warped and that's why it didn't line up correctly. I missed that.
    The way this is built there is no way (for me at least) to re-pose it to look more threatening - so waiter pose it is.


    Thank goodness for epoxy.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    A bit of round stock to fill the seam under the rear of the skull.

    Image

    Image

    Oh, look, more epoxy.

    Image

    Wrists filled and coated with Tamiya clear gloss to seal the putty.


    Image

    Skull with a coat of gloss black primer!

    Image

    Image
    ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
    User avatar
    DBMiller
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
    Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by DBMiller »

    Back from taking a bit of a heat wave break.
    I've put aside the epoxy for a bit and have been trying out the color scheme on big boy.


    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image
    ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
    User avatar
    aur0ra145
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    Posts: 3161
    Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
    Location: TX
    Contact:
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by aur0ra145 »

    Looking good!
    BigWall
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado
    United States of America

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by BigWall »

    Wow! That absolutely brought it to life!
    Joe

    Image
    User avatar
    Bdiddy
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant
    Posts: 434
    Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Australia

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by Bdiddy »

    nice!
    Jesse

    Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

    Next build: :scratch::
    User avatar
    RangerNeil
    Major
    Major
    Posts: 4745
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
    Location: Dagenham
    Contact:
    Great Britain

    Re: DBMiller's Alien

    Post by RangerNeil »

    Impressive!! Wouldn't fancy waking up in the early hours to see that looking at me - instant cure for constipation..... :lol: :lol:
      Neil (yet another one...)

      On the board now:

      Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
      Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

      Scalemates stash info
      =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
      User avatar
      DBMiller
      Chief Warrant Officer 3
      Chief Warrant Officer 3
      Posts: 2290
      Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
      Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
      United States of America

      Re: DBMiller's Alien

      Post by DBMiller »

      I gave the head a light, dilute coat of Tamiya Smoke to even out the shading. I've also added a black wash. I will have to go back and highlight the tubing and other detail with the lighter color to make it all stand out better. Also, I've painted the teeth and will give them a wash as well.

      Image

      Image

      Image

      Image

      When I first started this someone asked if I'd be re-posing it for a more menacing look. By the look of the leg to hip joins I'll be lucky to get it looking good with the default pose! Maybe some sort of two part filler like Milliput instead of the more fluid epoxy I was using? I wonder if it will stick to the vinyl material.

      Image

      Image

      Get a load of that crotch! I mean as a modeling challenge - don't just, you know, admire it.

      Image


      At least it is impressively tall. And with the sunlight coming in and the flash it almost looks painted and ready to go.


      Image
      ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
      User avatar
      DBMiller
      Chief Warrant Officer 3
      Chief Warrant Officer 3
      Posts: 2290
      Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
      Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
      United States of America

      Re: DBMiller's Alien

      Post by DBMiller »

      Here goes the Milliput experiment. It seems to fill in nicely and stick to the surface. After it dries I'll sand it smoother and make any repairs necessary.

      Image

      Image

      Image

      Image

      Image
      ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
      User avatar
      Twokidsnosleep
      General
      General
      Posts: 18481
      Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
      Location: BC,Canada
      Canada

      Re: DBMiller's Alien

      Post by Twokidsnosleep »

      Oh Jesus man that creeps me right out..I think that means you are doing a great job :think:
      Scott

      On, Under or near the desk
      Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
      User avatar
      RangerNeil
      Major
      Major
      Posts: 4745
      Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
      Location: Dagenham
      Contact:
      Great Britain

      Re: DBMiller's Alien

      Post by RangerNeil »

      Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:36 pm Oh Jesus man that creeps me right out..I think that means you are doing a great job :think:
      Was thinking much the same thing myself.... :) :)
        Neil (yet another one...)

        On the board now:

        Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
        Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

        Scalemates stash info
        =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
        User avatar
        Bdiddy
        Master Sergeant
        Master Sergeant
        Posts: 434
        Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
        Location: Melbourne, Australia
        Australia

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by Bdiddy »

        what are your plans for the colour scheme?
        Jesse

        Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

        Next build: :scratch::
        User avatar
        DBMiller
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Posts: 2290
        Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
        Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by DBMiller »

        Bdiddy wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:17 am what are your plans for the colour scheme?
        Like most scifi ships and creatures what you see on screen is mostly a result of the lighting. The Alien creature looks dark greenish black and shiny on screen but references show the head under the clear dome to be more bone colored over the dark green black base. The rest I'll just wing with a base color, darker recesses, and lighter highlights - pretty much like the head I've just about finished.
        ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
        User avatar
        DBMiller
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Posts: 2290
        Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
        Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by DBMiller »

        I took a break for stupid hot humid weather. Managed to get in a bit of time this week though.

        The way this vinyl kit goes together is a pain. The parts are hard to squeeze into the holes without adding cuts to the parts - then they just look like they are inserted and not part of an actual living creature. Oh, well.
        The hip joins are so bad that I had to use a load of filler and try to sand it smooth. The vinyl doesn't sand like regular model plastic so I hope a clear coat will smooth it out enough to hide the texture.


        Image

        Image

        Here are some of the other parts I'll be working on.

        Image

        And here is where they go.

        Image

        Here are two of the back extensions with the cuts made.
        The ends are very close together when attached but I think I can paint them in place.


        Image

        Image

        Image

        Here they are inserted but not glued yet. They flexed so much I wanted them to settle in before adding glue.


        Image

        Image
        ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
        User avatar
        Tomcat64
        Brigadier General
        Brigadier General
        Posts: 7188
        Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
        Location: Swindon, UK
        England

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by Tomcat64 »

        Do you ever think you might have been better off starting with a chunk of epoxy and working back from there?

        Seriously though the head looks great with the work you've done on it so far and the rest of the body is starting to come together as well.

        I honestly don't remember those sticky out tube things on the back, but that might just be down to the way it was portrayed in the movies I guess.

        Great work sticking with it though :th:
        Cheers, Neil

        On the Bench:
        Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
        Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
        Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
        BigWall
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Posts: 2961
        Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
        Location: Denver, Colorado
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by BigWall »

        Looks like you're doing a great job with a fiddly kit.
        Joe

        Image
        User avatar
        DBMiller
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Posts: 2290
        Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
        Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by DBMiller »

        Tomcat64 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:31 pm Do you ever think you might have been better off starting with a chunk of epoxy and working back from there?

        Seriously though the head looks great with the work you've done on it so far and the rest of the body is starting to come together as well.

        I honestly don't remember those sticky out tube things on the back, but that might just be down to the way it was portrayed in the movies I guess.

        Great work sticking with it though :th:
        BigWall wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:15 am Looks like you're doing a great job with a fiddly kit.
        Thank you both! Yes, the hips have been giving me some trouble. But I think I've got it to the point where the shading will mask the filling.
        Here are two shots with the upper back extension in place. And the stick up his butt. Until the tail goes on it is too off balance to stand on his own. So a stick.


        Image

        You can really see the epoxy filler here. It's tough when your hips go.

        Image

        Here he is with gloss black primer.

        Image

        It doesn't look too bad from this distance. The primer covers pretty well.

        Image
        ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
        User avatar
        DBMiller
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Posts: 2290
        Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
        Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by DBMiller »

        As usual I can't finish anything on time! :wall: :wall: :wall:

        EDIT: OMG - this build ends in September not today!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

        So, here it is, August 31 and I'm still trying to figure out the colors. I've been mottling various shades of green and something tan/brown-ish - trying to get the bronzy brown I've seen in photos. Once I add the darks into the recesses it should start to look better. I think I need to add the arms to get the final look or I'll end up with them looking too different from the body!
        The funny thing is that a Lightroom preset makes my photo look very like the look I'm going for! Not enough black/green but very close! (See the last image)


        Image

        Image

        Image


        Here is the funky look that the Lightroom preset "Winter Blues" creates!

        Image
        ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
        User avatar
        aur0ra145
        Second Lieutenant
        Second Lieutenant
        Posts: 3161
        Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
        Location: TX
        Contact:
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by aur0ra145 »

        Looking good!
        BigWall
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Posts: 2961
        Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
        Location: Denver, Colorado
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by BigWall »

        Very nice!
        Joe

        Image
        User avatar
        aur0ra145
        Second Lieutenant
        Second Lieutenant
        Posts: 3161
        Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
        Location: TX
        Contact:
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by aur0ra145 »

        Any updates? I liked where this one was going.
        User avatar
        DBMiller
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Chief Warrant Officer 3
        Posts: 2290
        Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
        Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
        United States of America

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by DBMiller »

        aur0ra145 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:03 pm Any updates? I liked where this one was going.
        YES! I do have an update! A lot of paint work ahead but it's coming along.
        Arms are on! Bad joints being filled! Starting to even out the paint work between the body and arms!
        The head is on! They didn't even TRY to make the joint between the head and torso / neck work out! I had to chew up the ball at the top of the torso and ream out the neck hole just to get it to settle somewhat in place. The seam - more filling!


        Image

        Image

        Image

        Image

        Image

        On the other hand it looks pretty impressive with its head in place.


        Image

        Image
        ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
        User avatar
        RangerNeil
        Major
        Major
        Posts: 4745
        Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
        Location: Dagenham
        Contact:
        Great Britain

        Re: DBMiller's Alien

        Post by RangerNeil »

        That is most DEFINITELY not something I would like to wake up looking at in the wee small hours!! :eeek:
        You are doing an amazing job with those joints - well done sir!! :cheers2:
          Neil (yet another one...)

          On the board now:

          Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
          Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

          Scalemates stash info
          =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
          User avatar
          aur0ra145
          Second Lieutenant
          Second Lieutenant
          Posts: 3161
          Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
          Location: TX
          Contact:
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by aur0ra145 »

          I didn't realize till now how big that model is. Coming along nicely!
          User avatar
          DBMiller
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Posts: 2290
          Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
          Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by DBMiller »

          I'm sorry I've been so quiet these last few months. My mother in law passed and I've been spending my Sundays helping my wife get the house ready to sell. It really made me think "I'm sure glad I don't have to clean out MY stuff after I die!" As for the rest of the time - I've just been off a bit.

          However - yesterday I did work on the nasty shoulder joints and could get back into it over the next few days!
          Updates to follow! :banana:

          Today, though, I get to go for my first dental implant session! The thought of screws inserted into my jaw so next year I can get two new molars attached is so exciting. No, what's that other word? Depressing! :cry:
          And with our awesome health care here in the USA it's going to cost me a LOT of model kit money by the end. :violin:

          It hasn't been all bad - I got a new car last month! My Toyota reached over 260,000 miles (most of it to work and back - talk about depressing) and I started wondering when it would just give up. And since I'm sick of the gas station I bought a Hyundai Kona Electric!

          Just delivered!


          Image

          Ohhhh! Spiffy control panel! Just push button!

          Image
          ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
          User avatar
          Twokidsnosleep
          General
          General
          Posts: 18481
          Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
          Location: BC,Canada
          Canada

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by Twokidsnosleep »

          Ok whoa. Dental implants
          Super scary, but actually pretty easy and recovery is usually a breeze
          Of course I am on the giving vs receiving end of them, so easy for me to say :tongue:

          If you have any questions, you are welcome to fire me a PM for a second opinion
          Scott

          On, Under or near the desk
          Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
          User avatar
          DBMiller
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Posts: 2290
          Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
          Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by DBMiller »

          Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:29 pm Ok whoa. Dental implants
          Super scary, but actually pretty easy and recovery is usually a breeze
          Of course I am on the giving vs receiving end of them, so easy for me to say :tongue:

          If you have any questions, you are welcome to fire me a PM for a second opinion
          Thank you for this! It's all because my 50 year old fillings are coming back to haunt me. Everything went well - shoot in enough Novocaine and I'm good. At least I'll be able to chew on that side again once the teeth get installed. I wanted blinking LED's but that wasn't an option. Although the dentist did say I wouldn't believe the things people want installed in their teeth!
          ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
          BigWall
          Chief Warrant Officer 5
          Chief Warrant Officer 5
          Posts: 2961
          Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
          Location: Denver, Colorado
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by BigWall »

          I'm glad it went well for you. Sorry about the LEDs!
          Joe

          Image
          User avatar
          aur0ra145
          Second Lieutenant
          Second Lieutenant
          Posts: 3161
          Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
          Location: TX
          Contact:
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by aur0ra145 »

          Nice car!

          I too need an implant. The dentist that was replacing my crown somehow punted it and I ended up with no tooth whatsoever. Soooo, trying to get a consult during the time of COVID has been a headache. Then based on work considerations; I may not get one until later next year. oh well.
          User avatar
          DBMiller
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Posts: 2290
          Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
          Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by DBMiller »

          aur0ra145 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:20 pm Nice car!

          I too need an implant. The dentist that was replacing my crown somehow punted it and I ended up with no tooth whatsoever. Soooo, trying to get a consult during the time of COVID has been a headache. Then based on work considerations; I may not get one until later next year. oh well.
          "Punting" is NOT a word you want associated with dental work! :eeek:
          And something you don't want to hear is when your dentist looks at your x-rays and says "That's not good". That is when I found out I would need implants!
          ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
          NoelSmith
          Sergeant First Class
          Sergeant First Class
          Posts: 326
          Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm
          Great Britain

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by NoelSmith »

          Read of another build of the Alien kit where the modeller used real fish bones for the teeth.
          User avatar
          DBMiller
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Posts: 2290
          Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
          Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by DBMiller »

          NoelSmith wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:00 pm Read of another build of the Alien kit where the modeller used real fish bones for the teeth.
          I'll be happy just to finish it!
          ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
          User avatar
          DBMiller
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Chief Warrant Officer 3
          Posts: 2290
          Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:10 pm
          Location: Guilford, Vermont, USA
          United States of America

          Re: DBMiller's Alien

          Post by DBMiller »

          Finally! Some progress! He has a mouth! And what a mouth it is!

          Image

          Image
          ON THE BENCH: Do I have to say? :(
          Post Reply

          Return to “Build threads”